Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Terrible advice

2»

Re: Terrible advice

• Options
    Not a vendor, but my mom keeps pushing the idea that we have the groomsmen either move all the chairs from the ceremony area to the reception area, or rent extra chairs for the ceremony area and have the groomsmen (or other guests!) pack them up after the ceremony. I'm about ready to take her off of chair-rental duty
    Do it!
  • Options

My friend sent me this a while back when she was looking at wedding planners. I'm not sure what this girls deal is, but people standing doesn't look "super duper cool" =\

http://knottyontop.blogspot.ca/2014/04/standing-room-only.html

• Options
    off topic but @oywiththepoodles
    I LOVE your username.

• Options
    @thisismynickname - HAHAHA, thanks! That gif is perfection. ;)
  • Options

My friend sent me this a while back when she was looking at wedding planners. I'm not sure what this girls deal is, but people standing doesn't look "super duper cool" =\

**SIB**

In almost every picture, the guests look super duper pissed.

• Options

Holding a heavy toddler for 30 minutes? No. Standing in a muddy field in wedges (or even flip flops, ick)? No. 
    Fuck, even the DMV doesn't make you stand for a half hour. 

• Options
    My luck, I'd be the short person at the back who didn't get to see any of the ceremony over the crowd in addition to being uncomfortable standing for all of it.
  • Options

Plus these locations all look like they're a considerable walk on top of standing for the ceremony.  I will never fathom why someone would want to do this.
  • Options

Plus these locations all look like they're a considerable walk on top of standing for the ceremony.  I will never fathom why someone would want to do this.
    THIS. While looking I thought, wow most of these are gorgeous locations but there isn't anything around them. Did these guests have to hike to their standing spot?
  • Options
    justsie said:

THIS. While looking I thought, wow most of these are gorgeous locations but there isn't anything around them. Did these guests have to hike to their standing spot?
    Oh come on. Who cares? Pictures are the most important part of a wedding. Duh. 

• Options

Most of those pictures are the kinds of locations where you (general you) go and think "holy shitballs this would be the best wedding location ever! Think of the pictures!" for like four seconds before you come back down to earth and reality.

I wanted to get married at a location like that for about five minutes. Then I realized this was real life, I am an adult and chucked the idea in the pile with the "enter the wedding on a magic carpet" idea.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    So many examples, but a few that come to mind:

-One of the vendors I looked at suggesting that the groomsmen can haul all our ceremony chairs up a massive hill after the ceremony and set them up for the reception.
    that makes me think of a wedding 2 summers ago. The ceremony was along the lake (with like 5 benches for seating, so everyone but family members had to stand) and there was a piano that was used to play the opening music.  Great until they had to carry that up the sandy hill to the reception venue!! I think when the couple recessed the officiant made an announcement about needing some strong people to carry the benches and piano back up the hill. whenever I think back on that wedding I think of how many etiquette blunders were made (I'd actually forgotten about the piano thing til this post)
  • Options
    kvruns said:

-One of the vendors I looked at suggesting that the groomsmen can haul all our ceremony chairs up a massive hill after the ceremony and set them up for the reception.
    that makes me think of a wedding 2 summers ago. The ceremony was along the lake (with like 5 benches for seating, so everyone but family members had to stand) and there was a piano that was used to play the opening music.  Great until they had to carry that up the sandy hill to the reception venue!! I think when the couple recessed the officiant made an announcement about needing some strong people to carry the benches and piano back up the hill. whenever I think back on that wedding I think of how many etiquette blunders were made (I'd actually forgotten about the piano thing til this post)
    What. The. Frack.  How on Earth did they think carrying a piano over sand was a good idea?  Especially by people who have no idea what they're doing.  Etiquette aside, which is horrible here, that's also a terrible way to treat a piano.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kvruns said:

What. The. Frack.  How on Earth did they think carrying a piano over sand was a good idea?  Especially by people who have no idea what they're doing.  Etiquette aside, which is horrible here, that's also a terrible way to treat a piano.
    yea I have no idea!  I remember thinking wtf are they doing, this just seems crazy but didn't even think about the fact that it could have damaged the piano.
  • Options
    A&B567 said:
    Every time I've spoken to the venue sales manager, she has made a point of saying, "This is YOUR day. You can do whatever you want."

Cool. So we can fill the building with kittens and puppies and drink beer in our pjs? No? Ohhhhh you mean I can be a PRINCESS and demand that everything align with my VISION and forget about prioritizing our guests' comfort? Ok.

(eye roll)
    That would be the best day ever....

• Options

Most of those pictures are the kinds of locations where you (general you) go and think "holy shitballs this would be the best wedding location ever! Think of the pictures!" for like four seconds before you come back down to earth and reality.

I wanted to get married at a location like that for about five minutes. Then I realized this was real life, I am an adult and chucked the idea in the pile with the "enter the wedding on a magic carpet" idea.

If magic carpets become a thing before my wedding, I'm totally stealing your idea.
  • Options
    When I was looking at venues, every venue coordinator asked me for an estimate on how many guests we're inviting/expecting (fine, understandable, to make sure we're looking at the right size venues)... then followed up with "ok, and how many more guests will be joining you in the evening, after the meal? None? Are you sure?"

I get that it's somehow considered acceptable here (I'm in the UK) to have a tiered reception... but I just don't understand how it's gotten so widespread that it's expected. If I want to celebrate my wedding with you, I'd like you to be at the actual wedding!
  • Options
    THere were some issues getting my divorce paperwork figured out*, and with about two months to go I was getting super stressed about possibly moving the wedding date and about seven people suggested we still have the big ceremony and not tell everyone it wasn't legal. Thankfully everything was sorted out, and we will be having a legal service. The day of the wedding. As planned.

* The figuring out was that I filed divorce with minor children, when fathers rights were terminated, so technically we did not have children together. Huge mess. Spent two years in and out of court for something that should have only taken two months.

• Options

**SIB**

In almost every picture, the guests look super duper pissed.
    This might just be because I watched The Walking Dead yesterday, but a crowd of people standing around staring at an oblivious couple looks like a zombie disaster in the making.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards