Snarky Brides

Worst Bridesmaid Experience

2»

Re: Worst Bridesmaid Experience

• I usually just lurk around, but I had to post for this one. I've only been in two weddings, one for my sister and one for my best friend.

My sister: She had an October wedding. The entire summer I worked at a barn (wearing pants and tank tops or polos) and I'm Irish so I am normally very pale. My legs were exceptionally pale. They reflected the sun. She insisted that myself and my other sister (who had bathing suit lines) go tanning for several weeks before her wedding so we didn't look "so ridiculous." Sorry no. Even if I went, I'd just turn red, which was the color of our dresses.

My best friend:
    It was her MOH that was the issue. I was an honorary MOH, so she had me and this other girl who was her BFF from childhood, and then several BMs as well. I live several states away, so couldn't really assist in planning anything other than throwing out a few ideas, which I did. In january, the MOH started texting me dates for her Bachelorette party (wedding in September).  I mentioned that closer to the wedding would work for me, even though it's not really about me but trying to fly or drive there would cost me a significant amount of money, so ideally I'd like to just stay out there for the wedding as well. According to her, the Bachelorette party is "traditionally 4 weeks in advance of the wedding." She offered four dates, two in July and two in August, and again asked what worked for me. I said none of those, so let me know what everyone else thinks. 

I get another text early March, stating the party will be 4 weeks out from the wedding date. I said that's going to be tough for me, I'm moving in July and my bf was in recruit school at the time, and with no close relatives I'm not sure who would be able to watch my dog if my bf couldn't. She responded with "Are you going to be there or not?" which shocked me. It was MARCH. I had 5 months to figure out how I was getting there. I didn't respond.

I decided to fly out for the party, paying $600 for a round trip ticket. As I'm walking out with the Bride to head to the airport at the end of the weekend, MOH pulls me aside and tells me I owe her money for her expenses covering the bride's dinner and transportation as well as the transportation for the rest of the BMs and friends. Since I only had my debit card, I told her I'd send her the money. Which I never did. 

She did a few other things that were minor, she just drove us all absolutely crazy. 
  • wmam35 said:
    I don't think my story is nearly as bad as some of the one's already posted, but my worst experience was for a wedding that never ended up happening.  I was asked to be a bridesmaid by a girl who was marrying my husband's friend.  I never would have considered myself friends with this girl, since I never spoke with her outside of being with our boyfriends and I didn't even have her phone number, but she asked me in front of a whole group of people, and I didn't know what to do except say yes.  So she picks out a dress without asking us for a budget or anything like that, and it ends up being from a small boutique and is about $200.  Lucky me, because I was plus-sized at the time, for me to get my dress in a size that would fit me based on my measurements taken at the boutique, I would have to pay an extra $50 because of "extra fabric".  These dresses were awful. They were a terrible shade of a color I hate, strapless, and had an asymmetrical hem that went from just below 1 knee to the opposite leg's ankle.  This was NOT a dress you'd want to wear once, let alone again, even if you got it altered.  And it looked TERRIBLE on my plus-sized, short body.

In between us ordering the dresses and the dresses arriving at the store, something really bad happened between the girl and her fiance, and the wedding was called off.  Since the guy was my boyfriend's friend, she cut off contact with everyone and I never spoke to her again.  Like I heard the wedding was called off from another person, not even her.  Because of the really bad thing that happened, my husband and all of his friends stopped speaking to the guy.  We lost contact with all of them, and I was out $250 when I didn't have a job.
    I really wanna know what this "really bad thing" is.

Me too!!
  • Oh gosh, I knew my attempt to be vague would come back to haunt me!  Let me see...it involved criminal activity (not drugs or anything violent or anything like that, I don't want to say what it was in case she somehow came across this post, even though I'm sure I'm being paranoid), which she claims she didn't know about in the decade+ that they had been together, even though he was pretty open about it (For the record I want to state that I never liked this guy).  He finally got caught by the cops but he also managed to get her name involved in what was going on, so she left him over it.  Then she contacted another bridesmaid, who contacted all of us (that's how I found out) and the groom started to blame the BRIDESMAID for causing all of the trouble....simply by sending an email relaying information that was told to her!  It was a lot of drama.
  • dyerwise said:
    Criminal activity that was not drugs or anything violent... was it... the Maple Syrup Heist?
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/63848/worlds-greatest-maple-syrup-heist
    Would that make him a sap?
    Ba dum bum Ching! 
  • I'm currently in the middle of mine! A friend that I've been friend's with for about a year asked me to be in her wedding. I was excited because I was honored that she wanted me to be there, even though we hadn't been friends very long. Then through several conversations she's mentioned she didn't pick other people she's been friends with longer because, one is late to things and she doesn't want someone who is notoriously late. The other lives in another state and wouldn't be able to be "as hands on" as I can. (I'm a little less honored now) Then she starts asking for help for making decorations and I said I would help but listed one day as the only day I couldn't. She of course makes the day for helping on that day and lets me know I can show up later. Except I can't show up later, because that's the one day I can't do anything. Like I said. Which of course upset her because I can't be there and help. The engagement shower is potluck themed, and I'm pretty sure etiquette says bring a gift. And also show up early to help set up. AHHHH!!
  • dyerwise said:
    wmam35 said:
    I don't think my story is nearly as bad as some of the one's already posted, but my worst experience was for a wedding that never ended up happening.  I was asked to be a bridesmaid by a girl who was marrying my husband's friend.  I never would have considered myself friends with this girl, since I never spoke with her outside of being with our boyfriends and I didn't even have her phone number, but she asked me in front of a whole group of people, and I didn't know what to do except say yes.  So she picks out a dress without asking us for a budget or anything like that, and it ends up being from a small boutique and is about $200.  Lucky me, because I was plus-sized at the time, for me to get my dress in a size that would fit me based on my measurements taken at the boutique, I would have to pay an extra $50 because of "extra fabric".  These dresses were awful. They were a terrible shade of a color I hate, strapless, and had an asymmetrical hem that went from just below 1 knee to the opposite leg's ankle.  This was NOT a dress you'd want to wear once, let alone again, even if you got it altered.  And it looked TERRIBLE on my plus-sized, short body.

In between us ordering the dresses and the dresses arriving at the store, something really bad happened between the girl and her fiance, and the wedding was called off.  Since the guy was my boyfriend's friend, she cut off contact with everyone and I never spoke to her again.  Like I heard the wedding was called off from another person, not even her.  Because of the really bad thing that happened, my husband and all of his friends stopped speaking to the guy.  We lost contact with all of them, and I was out $250 when I didn't have a job.
    I really wanna know what this "really bad thing" is.

Me too!!

Ditto!

Set fire to her vintage hat collection? Kicked her dog? Took her to a Nickelback concert?  What was it??!!!

I am CRYING laughing right now, @drunkenwitch!!!
  • I have lurked here for awhile now, but came out cuz oh man I have one. I think she checked every box in the "how to be a tacky asshole" list. I'm still not sure how to format so sorry if this looks like your grandma tried posting:
    • Bride chose $200 strapless empire-waist chiffon dresses... for a 1.5 hour long outdoor November wedding. With no jacket. It was terrible. I have a large ass and no chest, I looked like a tent. She could've thrown the reception under my dress. And it was freezing.
    • She chose these shoes that I'm pretty sure have been featured in Toddlers and Tiaras. At least they were cheap http://amzn.com/B00WJDKTIE
    • She said hair and makeup were required, but didn't mention we'd have to pay for it until after we were done. I wanna give her the BOTD for being ditzy but I think that was intentional... kinda smart though. Dickish, but smart.
    • Insisted on a destination bachelorette. It was actually fairly close to me so I went, but a lot of peeps couldn't and she complained the whole time about it. It was $$$
    • Had a cash bar (barf) that was a true cash bar (didn't have a card scanner), so like no one drank. She kept asking people to buy her drinks 
    • On top of this, she bragged a bunch about how "affordable" their wedding was 
    • Despite all of this, I went in on a group present to get her a $700 roomba that she registered for, aaaaand have yet to receive a thank you. I know it's only been 3 months, but idk, I wouldn't put it past her to not send any. I spent probably over $1,000. 
    Idk what happened to her, maybe she just did like 0 research on how to host a wedding? She was pretty chill in college. It was my first wedding to be a part of and I didn't know anything about weddings, and I still picked up on how shitty some things were.

That's insane!!! I am LOLing that she ASKED PEOPLE TO BUY HER DRINKS! 

meme chloe side eye
  • I'm currently in the middle of mine! A friend that I've been friend's with for about a year asked me to be in her wedding. I was excited because I was honored that she wanted me to be there, even though we hadn't been friends very long. Then through several conversations she's mentioned she didn't pick other people she's been friends with longer because, one is late to things and she doesn't want someone who is notoriously late. The other lives in another state and wouldn't be able to be "as hands on" as I can. (I'm a little less honored now) Then she starts asking for help for making decorations and I said I would help but listed one day as the only day I couldn't. She of course makes the day for helping on that day and lets me know I can show up later. Except I can't show up later, because that's the one day I can't do anything. Like I said. Which of course upset her because I can't be there and help. The engagement shower is potluck themed, and I'm pretty sure etiquette says bring a gift. And also show up early to help set up. AHHHH!!
    Engagement shower?  WTF is this new tacky nonsense?!?!
  • I was thinking the same thing, @APDSS22 - what in the world is an engagement shower?
  • When my step brother got married the first time the girl asked me and my sister to be bridesmaids. We said sure even though we didn't really know her that well. Then my step brother asked if my oldest daughter would be the flower girl. She was 2 and half at the time of the wedding and I warned them she could do anything and my step brother says it's all good I want her to be a part of it. His FI tells me I just need to "train" her to throw the flower petals as she walks down the aisle then go sit with my mom.

So this girl doesn't ask for budgets. I knew I was going to have to buy my dress and my daughter's dress and since I got affected by the recession didn't have a lot of money to spend. She sends me a link of a dress and tells me I need to order this dress for myself. It was about $100 and my size was out of stock. I tell her I can't order the dress they don't have my size. My sister has the same issue, it's not in her size. This girl tells us there is time to just wait and see if it gets in stock. a month later its still out of stock and she tells us we need to gain weight so we can order the smallest size they have in stock, which was about 3 sizes to big. We called her crazy and then got a call from step brother why we were being rude and mean to his FI. We show him the messages and he tells FI to pick out a dress that we could fit in and that we could afford. She tells us just wait to see if it becomes available. Two weeks before the wedding she tells us we need to call the company and demand they send us the dress in our size. She finally called the company herself then bitched to us about how they hung up on her. So she picks us a different dress and proceeded to tell everyone how "difficult" we were and how we were trying to ruin the wedding.

Then I had to go through the flower girl stuff for my daughter. She wanted me to buy an exact miniture of her wedding dress, thank goodness my mom bought it(she was trying to calm the waters cause of the BM dress stuff) $150 dress for a 2 year old is not a high prioty for me. Then this girl sends me the flower girl basket so I can "train" my daughter. I got daily messages asking how training was going and she was furious that half the time my daughter wore the basket like a hat and danced. Day of wedding my step brother tells my daughter I will be standing at the end of this fabric that's on the ground. Everyone told her walk to uncle and throw your flowers. We start, my daughter sees her uncle, hikes up her dress and takes off running down the aisle. At the end she dumps out her basket, picks up the petals and throws them into the air a few times then finishes running to my uncle who tells her good job and points to my mom. The bride walks down the aisle furious because of this. Then during the unity candle they had the candle gets lit and you hear my daughter in the audience very loudly singing happy birthday. Bride only talked to me that night to inform me she ruined the wedding cause everyone was talking about the flower girl and not her.
    Bride sounds like a peach.  How long did this marriage last?
  • edited March 2016
    @Cheermom84, I just snorted laughing at your story, especially at your daughter's role. You made my afternoon.
  • @OurWildKingdom haha it was funny everyone but the bride thought it was adorable and still talk about it She is 9 now. The photographer even took a bunch of pictures of it I have them somewhere my step brother got me some prints.
  • My FI's 2 1/2 year old niece is our flower girl and we have no expectations of her.  I am fairly certain she will run down the aisle with the dress over her head.  It's actually one of the reasons I insisted we get a videographer so I can see what she does.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • laurad75 said:
    My FI's 2 1/2 year old niece is our flower girl and we have no expectations of her.  I am fairly certain she will run down the aisle with the dress over her head.  It's actually one of the reasons I insisted we get a videographer so I can see what she does.  
    This! My step brother had no expectations but she did. We are going to have my then 4 year old and her 4 year old cousin (they will both just have turned 4) as our flower girls and FI is hoping they do something to "top" my oldest. 
  • Then during the unity candle they had the candle gets lit and you hear my daughter in the audience very loudly singing happy birthday. 

If one of my flower girls did this, I would be delighted.  I showed it to my sister, who said she would high five them.

Anniversary>
  • @Cheermom84 your daughter is ADORABLE! I don't think I'd be able to control my laughter if a cute little kid sang Happy Birthday during my wedding. The only disruption that would cause is my horrible snort-laugh when I'm caught off-guard ;)
  • Here she is when she started to run.
    Ok, as a future bride, I would LOVE if that happened! She sounds like an absolute cutie!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards