Flowers

Flower budget

My aunt owns a flower shop so I'll be getting my flowers from her and she's only charging me the price that she gets them for (cost?). Would $500 be a reasonable budget? I'm going to be using roses and carnations.

Re: Flower budget

• My aunt owns a flower shop so I'll be getting my flowers from her and she's only charging me the price that she gets them for (cost?). Would $500 be a reasonable budget? I'm going to be using roses and carnations.
    Depends on how many arrangements you are looking to get and how many flowers are in each. If it is a few bouquets. bouts and corsages, should be no problem. If you are adding centerpieces, arches or other decor, might not be enough. Roses can also be quite expensive (depending on season and type of rose) so another factor. 

I'm only spending $500.00 on flowers (silk) but I only need one small bride bouquet and 6 bouts/corsages. 
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    if she's only charging you cost, THANK HER LIKE CRAZY! markup on flowers is nuts, so a $500 budget will get you $1500-$2000 worth of flowers. depending on what you want, that is going to be A LOT of flowers. honestly, i'd use things other than carnations and roses. you can afford better and there are much more beautiful flowers. in fact, I hate carnations and they have an odd smell that I find unpleasant. With that kind of a budget you can likely afford much better and still have a ton of flowers.
    what time of year are you getting married? what do you need (bouts, corsages, arch, centerpieces, bouquets, etc)? what colors? where are you located?
    answer those and i can give you some suggestions. (i'm a florist)

(ETA for clarity: $1500-$2000 of flowers, retail cost)
  • Choose an amount you're comfortable with spending - and as others have said "Thank the heck out of her for doing this for you!"...  Also, please be kind and flexible with her because the value of her time (because she's going to be turning away other customers for your order) is also huge!
  • kylexo said:
    if she's only charging you cost, THANK HER LIKE CRAZY! markup on flowers is nuts, so a $500 budget will get you $1500-$2000 worth of flowers. depending on what you want, that is going to be A LOT of flowers. honestly, i'd use things other than carnations and roses. you can afford better and there are much more beautiful flowers. in fact, I hate carnations and they have an odd smell that I find unpleasant. With that kind of a budget you can likely afford much better and still have a ton of flowers.
    what time of year are you getting married? what do you need (bouts, corsages, arch, centerpieces, bouquets, etc)? what colors? where are you located?

I'm getting married in July in New Windsor, NY. My colors are navy and pink, but the flowers will be shades of pink and white. I need 3 bouquets (including mine), 6 bouts and 2 corsages. I have 16 tables so I'll need that many centerpieces. I really love roses, but I just came across dinner plate dahlias and I'm in love with them, possibly for my bouquet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
  • kylexo said:

I'm getting married in July in New Windsor, NY. My colors are navy and pink, but the flowers will be shades of pink and white. I need 3 bouquets (including mine), 6 bouts and 2 corsages. I have 16 tables so I'll need that many centerpieces. I really love roses, but I just came across dinner plate dahlias and I'm in love with them, possibly for my bouquet? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)
    Awesome! I'm getting married in Ithaca in July too! That's the best time of year for pinks and whites, so you'll have a ton of options. It's a little early in the season for dahlia's but with the weather in NY, who the hell knows. Dinner plate dahlia's are amazing and if you're able to source them in July, I've seen them used at bridesmaid bouquets just as single stem with some greens around it and it was STUNNING. Regarding dahlias though, they aren't super hardy and if it's very hot they'll wilt more quickly than something like roses or hydrangea.

Here's some flowers available in pinks and whites that are pretty well able to handle July in NY:
    - Roses (and don't just stick with regular roses. Piano and garden roses are GORGEOUS and give the look of a peony without as much cost - plus they'll be in season, peonies aren't.)
    - Hydrangea (a more $$ by stem, but huge, potentially the same feel as dinnerplate dahlia's)
    - Lisianthus
    - Carnation
    - Queen Anne's lace or babies breath (if you want a rustic look)
    - Scabiosa (great for a boho looking bouquet)
    - Chrysanthemum
    - Veronica (also kinda boho)
    - Celosia/coxcomb (more modern but super cool in arrangements/centerpieces)
    - Zinnia
    - Cosmos
    - Delphinium (highly recommended for tall arrangements)
    - Gerbera

So I'd ask your Aunt what she's able to source, and what she'd be able to do with what your budget is. You really can't go wrong with roses though!
  • I love garden roses, thank you for your help! :)
  • If you really want dinner plate dahlias, is there any way you could use potted ones as decor?  They wouldn't wilt then.

I'd come up with a figure you can afford, and then talk to your aunt about what look you're going for.  She'll know best what she can do with your budget with her particular suppliers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards