Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

appetizers vs. liqour

We are on a very tight budget and are trying to choose between having a keg-which would meet the minimum so we could have a bar, or serving some munchies before the meal is served. Our ceremony is at 10:00 am, lunch at 11:30 and a dance until 3pm. I thought the munchies would be better than the bar since its still early, but FI thinks ppl will want to drink after lunch during the dance. If we don't get the keg we won't have a bar at all. Please give any ideas you have!!

Re: appetizers vs. liqour

• Cass987Cass987 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm agreeing with you on this one - it's early in the day and the dance ends before 5. I'd seriously do sodas, punch, lemonade, tea - and MUNCHIES!!!!!!!  I'd be sure that on your reception info I'd put "dance following lunch with non-alcoholic beverages and appetizers will be served" - that way it's very clear that no alcoholic beverages will be there.

(I mean the whole alcohol issue would be a different issue if the dance was after dinner - say like after 5pm - the magic witching hour for drinking ;-)

Another idea - usually you can make one of those huge punch bowls and spike it with come inexpensive alcohol for a yummy "signature punch" to be served with the munchies - usually you can do that for less than the cost of kegs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Ceremony Location - Scottish Castle

,p> save the date
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't expect alcohol at afternoon receptions, but I've also never seen dancing at afternoon receptions.

What other food will you be serving?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say go with the bar instead.  If it is starting at 10 and food is served at 11:30 most people are going to eat breakfast before they come, and waiting until 11:30 to eat isn't a big time difference.  I don't think I would be expecting munchies if it was an early ceremony/reception.  I have never personally been to an early wedding, but I don't even know what type of munchies you would serve at that time of day.  If we were faced with that dilemma we would go with the bar definitely, but thats also based on our friends and family who will be there. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You will have drunk sick guests if you serve alcohol without food at the same time. That early in the day, most people don't drink. Just serve the food and don't worry about alcohol.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't drink liquor to begin with, but I think appetizers would be better anyways...it's too early to have alcohol!
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there a happy medium, like having a fruit and cheese platter and having a wine bar only?  You probably don't need a full bar as hopefully no one will be doing tequila shots at 11:30am, but it's nice to have something to toast with that's stronger than root beer.  Otherwise, go with the food and find someone who can spike the punch (surreptitiously, of course, because that makes it better!).
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At that time, I would do the munchies and not have alcohol.
  • edited December 2011
    I voted the bar and no munchies, but that's because my real response isn't offered....do neither.

If you're not serving a meal, people will probably eat before they arrive at the ceremony, and since 3 PM for an end time isn't late at all, they can also eat afterwards.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards