Wedding Reception Forum

beautiful venue UGLY area

I am moments away from booking my venue in Northern New Jersey. We love the venue and all that it offers the only problem is the location of the venue does not match its newly renovated interior. I wish I could pick it up and place it somewhere much more chic. I have no idea what to do for wedding photos! My wedding will be in the fall, the venue suggests going to a nearby park however we're not the outdoorsy couple we'd love interior photos or maybe outdoor with great architecture/buildings behind us. We know another option is to take pics before the ceremony at the hotel but we'd like to stick with the traditional order of things.

Has anyone else dealt with an ugly area for photos? and if so what did you do?
Any suggestions on great photo area near Bloomfield, NJ?

HELP PLEASE!

Re: beautiful venue UGLY area

• You do not need outdoor photos.  It sounds like you have found a bargain.  Go with it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I am moments away from booking my venue in Northern New Jersey. We love the venue and all that it offers the only problem is the location of the venue does not match its newly renovated interior. I wish I could pick it up and place it somewhere much more chic. I have no idea what to do for wedding photos! My wedding will be in the fall, the venue suggests going to a nearby park however we're not the outdoorsy couple we'd love interior photos or maybe outdoor with great architecture/buildings behind us. We know another option is to take pics before the ceremony at the hotel but we'd like to stick with the traditional order of things.

Has anyone else dealt with an ugly area for photos? and if so what did you do?
    Any suggestions on great photo area near Bloomfield, NJ?

HELP PLEASE!
    The surrounding environment may look different in the Fall. 

Repost this on your local board to help with suggestions involving specific NJ insights.
  • If you're not outdoorsy, why do you want outdoor photos?  Take pictures inside your ceremony space, near a cool architectural element (like a flight of stairs or a cool window).  You don't need to go outside.  What if it's raining?  Then you wouldn't be able to take pictures outside even if it was a gorgeous outdoor space.  I think you'll be fine.
  • I'd book it. Just make sure that you are not having a gap to take the pictures between ceremony and reception.
  • JediElizabethJediElizabeth member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I'd look into the downtown Montclair area, just down Bloomfield Ave (in the direction away from Newark), or Upper Montclair around Valley Road & Bellevue Ave.  There's a lot of nice architecture down there, depending on what you're looking for: old churches and Victorian homes and such. 

Usually I'd say go to the local boards, but I used to live in northern NJ, so I know the area well. ;)
  • Bloomfield College has some nice buildings. 
  • Do you have a photographer yet? A good photographer can work with the surroundings. My friend and her husband were married at a hotel and most of the pictures were indoors. The hotel was on a major road near the on-ramp of a highway. Nothing picturesque around at all, just parking lots and some basic landscaping.
    So, the photographer took photos of them from the ground up with only the sky and bright light in the background, and those shots are gorgeous. He took some from above so you only got some  grass in the frame. He took some straight on but close up so you only got brick wall behind the couple but good natural light. 
    Definitely talk to your photographer about options. I will say I've seen some outdoor photos of couples in less picturesque areas and I've snarked on the photog's skills. Why have half a wall and half a parking lot behind a bridal party? Come on now. Composition skills are important.

• It's not that I want outdooes photos, the issue is that the area they offer for pictures is outdoors
  • It's not that I want outdooes photos, the issue is that the area they offer for pictures is outdoors
    So you're not ALLOWed to take indoor photos?  That obviously doesn't make any sense.  If you have your ceremony and reception inside, you can obviously use the inside space to take photos either before or after the ceremony and reception.  If the venue inside is beautiful, walk around with the person who holds the contract, suggest that you want photos here, here, and here.  And if they don't allow that, don't sign the contract.
  • You are probably getting the deal you are because the venue is NOT in a chic area.  If it were, you would probably be paying more.  Is there a reason you are not allowed to get photos in the ceremony area or hallways, etc of the venue?  Are you ONLY allowed to get photos outside?
  • That first photo looks like a place where one of my DD's engagement  pictures was taken and the third looks like her dress!
  • You're clearly misunderstanding what I'm saying, but thank you for your help anyway.
  • no we are free to take photos in the area, however there are no areas that I know of that we like (I'm from NY),and we's also prefer an indoor photo session.  I am open to suggestions of possible areas that would look great on photo. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards