Chit Chat

Weddings: Stuff you do remember?

2»

Re: Weddings: Stuff you do remember?

• Always remember being forced to go up for the bouquet toss even though I always tried to get out of it.
  • AddieCake said:
    I remember a bride's pushy aunt trying to force people to take pics with the disposable cameras on the tables.

At one where I was a bridesmaid, the couple made guests wait with no cocktail hour because they went to go have sex before the reception. I said fuck this and left. I told that story a couple years ago here on TK and got told by another reg that I was the rude one for costing the couple money by leaving. Mmmmmk.

At a wedding I went to last year, the couple didn't finish their table visits, including not coming to ours. Some of the food was also cold at that one, and their website had the "no pics, please be present in the moment" request.

At my heinous cousin's wedding, they were trying to "include" everyone, and there was a random boy about 3 in a suit or tux who walked down the aisle for no reason. And their favors were a bookmark with a picture of them. Gag. 

I remember good things, too, but it blends together as someone else said. I've never been to a wedding where something was so unique or awesome that it stands out. It tends to be the shit that made the experience unpleasant that I recall. 

Ew. Ew to all of this. Especially the second one, though. Did they announce their intentions? I hope someone was keeping track of their time. But seriously, that's disgusting[ly rude].
  • No, they didn't announce. The bride's mother spilled the beans.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • arrippa said:
    Always remember being forced to go up for the bouquet toss even though I always tried to get out of it.
    That is PRECISELY why we are not even doing the bouquet toss... I have 3 friends that are not married, and not a one would actually WANT to participate... It would fall to the ground as 3 women walk away LMAO

• edited March 2016
    arrippa said:
    Always remember being forced to go up for the bouquet toss even though I always tried to get out of it.
    That is PRECISELY why we are not even doing the bouquet toss... I have 3 friends that are not married, and not a one would actually WANT to participate... It would fall to the ground as 3 women walk away LMAO
    A lot of our single friends are gay men. While some might be game for a bouquet toss, we're still not going to do one, nor a garter toss.

Things I remember:

At one cousin's first wedding, they gave plastic Slinkies as favors. That was actually kind of cute.

At the same cousin's second wedding (it was the first for the bride) they had a swing combo instead of a DJ. Everyone loved it!

• arrippa said:
    A lot of our single friends are gay men. While some might be game for a bouquet toss, we're still not going to do one, nor a garter toss.
    Funny thing is, my soon to be step brother in law is gay, engaged and probably the only one that would be excited about catching the bouquet LMAO

• @AddieCake Oh my, that second one... I probably would have eventually left too. 

I'm late to this post and don't normally post in ChitChat, but I have to chime in because I love this topic. 

As a guest:
    -When I am forced into "duties" like helping clean or being asked to "take nice photos" because people know I used to shoot weddings on the side.
    -Seeing others being treated badly.
    -Funny moments during the reception or ceremony
    -Spotlight dances with a surprise aspect (like the ones that start out slow and turn into a funny dance).
    -Any cringe-worthy awkward moments
    -If the space was too small/too large for the guests and overall layout of the venue.
    -If the venue had a cool view
    -If it took forever to be able to eat and if the food was good/bad/hot/cold
    -Whether I had to pay for anything
    -Whether the DJ was good or bad, and if the crowd danced or not. At one wedding last year the DJ was good, but the layout of the venue was awful. The dance floor was huge and next to the bar area, which had fluorescent lights that lit up the dance floor, negating the cool lighting the DJ had. No one danced, it was just too awkward.

As a photog/second shooter I remember:
    -How I am treated. This varies from "as one of the guests" to "scum of the earth."
    -When family members/guests interrupt the formal photos by telling those in the photo to move/stepping into frame to direct people to move/actually moving guests and children around
    -If I missed something important because I was fed after the guests in a random part of the venue away from the action.
    -Very nice or interesting details, like floral arrangements and centerpieces, the cake, other little things the couple spent a lot of time and energy on that no one else notices. 
    -Many of the things I would remember as a guest

So, overall, the only things that actually matter are how you treat people, food, and ambiance (music/venue). Everything else is fluff. I only remember details when I am photographing them!

• For some reason, I remember a lot of random things.  Though most of them are positive.

My wedding guest randoms:

• My grandparents were living in Hawaii (where they are from) and were invited to a friend's daughter's wedding.  They declined because we would be visiting them that week.  The hosts graciously and generously said, "Bring the whole family!"  It was a casual ceremony and reception, but still, that was 4 additional people.  I was only about 12, but remember thinking how nice that was.  Plus there was Kahlua pig at the reception.  So good!
    • My friend having a small intimate wedding, where the ceremony and reception were in the same place.  Loved both parts of that and took note of it for the future.
    • Family friend daughter's got married during the day at a park.  One of the guests wore a short, black cocktail dress.  I'm not proud I specifically remember a random guest's attire.  It was just so odd and out of place for the setting.
    • My b/f's friend got married shortly after I moved to NOLA.  Location was a gorgeous hotel built in the mid 1800s.  They had a pirogue (picture a small canoe) sideways on a table with oysters (three ways) spilling out of it.  They had other food and main course food also, but those oysters and their display were "da bomb".
    • Same b/f as above, different friends.  Got married at an old fort on the water and then the groom surprised the bride, after the ceremony, with a bi-plane that whisked them away from the ceremony site...flew them around the lake a few times while the guests drove to the reception...and then landed them at the reception site (also on the water).  Serious bonus points in my book for the old fort and bi-plane creativity.
    • Our best man and his g/f got married about a year after we did.  They run a kayaking business together and had their ceremony...in kayaks...on the shores of the bayou where they have their tours.  The guests stood on the banks.  He wore a suit jacket and dress shirt...paired with shorts and sandals.  She wore a summer dress with fresh flowers in her hair.  So sweet!  So them!  Loved it.  Followed by a big blow out backyard BBQ at their house nearby.  So fun! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards