Chit Chat

Drama Queen Alert

I think I just need a minute to vent if thats okay. Let me get out my bsc here before it leaks into real life and I find myself sitting up at 4am trawling pinterest for the perfect cutesy label for groomsmen socks or something equally stupid.

I was doing so well with this wedding. Planning was coming along without a hitch, not enjoyable exactly, but not stressworthy either. Shit was getting done, and I was at the point where I could see it all coming together. Idk what's happened in the last week or so. I'm second guessing everything we've planned - what if the food isn't good enough? What if there isn't enough of it? What if I run out of booze? (I guarantee you that would be the biggest etiquette faux pas in my family!). I have no idea what changed, but this last week or so it's really hit home that I have to make this party a good time for 100-ish people, most of which are travelling across the country to celebrate with me. And its terrifying. I know rationally that I can't please everyone, and I know that no matter what I did there would be someone who would side-eye us...but it's like rational thought flew out the window. I keep having the same wedding dreams where the bus breaks down and everyone is trapped on it, or none of the vendors turn up to the reception and there is no food or music. Ugh!

There is still 6months to go, there is no jeopardy to contend with. Plenty of time to go, budget isn't an issue, family all seem okay with everything. Did anyone else have this? It's normal, right? 

Re: Drama Queen Alert

• CMGragain said:
    Have a margarita.
    Maybe 6?

• Breathe. Drink. Repeat. 
    You'll be FINE!

• The thing I was the most worried about, which was the thing I was the least likely to do, was forget to bring my wedding dress with me, lol.  I had recurring nightmares about that, which increased as I got closer to leaving.

I used one of those vacuum storage bags to suck that baby down into a tote-sized bundle, used a tote bag as my "purse" to schlep it onto the plane with me.

A little craziness is good!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually take the fact that you are worrying so much as a sign that you are pretty organized and probably ahead of the game. I know that seems counter-intuitive, but thinking about these things now means you are trying to be prepared and are not letting things fall through the cracks. But try not to let it overwhelm you!

I like @short+sassy 's advice to think of a plan B for whatever is troubling you, even if just to put your mind at ease. I also found lists to be very helpful. I made lists for everything when planning my wedding: items we needed to buy, vendors we needed to pay by what dates, DIYs I wanted to do (wanted being the operative word - I prioritized knowing that some things may not happen), a full inventory of decor in labeled, numbered boxes, etc... And even with all that, I still had my moments of anxiety. It's all normal.

Have a drink and try to remember that your worrying is probably a sign that you care about your wedding and your guests. You've got this!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Totally normal, especially for a bride who is actually organized. I agree with @madamerwin. Any bride I've known who hasn't worried about things is usually the bride who doesn't care about etiquette faux-pas and treating their guests properly. You are going to be fine :) you've proven on these boards more than once that you are an etiquette-savvy, detailed bride. deep breaths, and lots of wine!

• I haven't really been stressed out about anything, even when my venue announced their closing the same day that my invites went out, BUT I have wedding dreams.  A couple of nights ago I dreamed that my reception lighting was very bright and our DJ's were these older ladies wearing polo shirts and high waisted jeans and they were playing all 50's music.  And I think their kids were rolling around on my dance floor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The thing I was the most worried about, which was the thing I was the least likely to do, was forget to bring my wedding dress with me, lol.  I had recurring nightmares about that, which increased as I got closer to leaving.

I used one of those vacuum storage bags to suck that baby down into a tote-sized bundle, used a tote bag as my "purse" to schlep it onto the plane with me.

A little craziness is good!

This is my nightmare! I keep thinking I'm going to get to the airport and realise I don't have it with me. Love the idea of vacuum bags. I'm getting it steamed out there, so it doesn't matter if it's creased on the journey.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• laurad75 said:
    I haven't really been stressed out about anything, even when my venue announced their closing the same day that my invites went out, BUT I have wedding dreams.  A couple of nights ago I dreamed that my reception lighting was very bright and our DJ's were these older ladies wearing polo shirts and high waisted jeans and they were playing all 50's music.  And I think their kids were rolling around on my dance floor.

Nightmares do come true, lol.  Not a wedding, but I jumped in to finish organizing a work Christmas party after they laid off the person who had been doing it.  The DJ had already been picked.  Someone the venue had recommended.

My first red flag.  I contacted him about signing some minor form regarding how much money was owed to him at the event, so corporate could cut his check.  I plan to just e-mail it to him, he signs and e-mails it back.  No biggie.  Except he tells me he doesn't have an e-mail account and I will need to mail it to him and he will mail it back.  A DJ?  Who doesn't have an e-mail account?  A trickle of concern.  He also asks if he can bring a date.  WHAA?  I tell him that's okay, but she needs to be dressed appropriately in cocktail attire and, although we will be providing him with a meal, we will not be providing one for her.  So weird.

He arrives at our event and, during the cocktail hour plays classical music.  Not what I was expecting, but its lovely and does match the ambience.  Then dinner starts and he puts on an Anne Murray song.  Okay fine.  Then another Anne Murray song comes on.  And another one.  He literally put on an Anne Murray CD and just let it play.

Dinner's over, time to start dancing.  I forget the first song he put on.  It wasn't Anne Murray (phew, lol), but it was a song like that.  One of the guests approaches him during that first song and asks if he can play music that is more upbeat and current.  He agrees.  The next song?  Caribbean Queen by Billy Ocean.  I cannot make this stuff up, lol.

That guy was an inside joke at our office for the entire next year.

Yikes!  Thankfully I have met my DJ and have lots of confidence in him.  Regardless, that's a great story.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have been having wedding nightmares for months.  The worst one was like the third one I had.  In it, I got a panicked call from my dad OMG WHERE ARE YOU.  THE WEDDING IS IN THREE HOURS.  OMGWTF NOO I DON'T EVEN HAVE A DRESS YET.  So I wore my mom's, in the dream, which actually looked pretty much like mine and nothing at all like hers, and walked down the aisle in smeary clown makeup.  At my parent's house.  And their 125 pound dog tackled me because my bouquet was a Frisbee.

Not a day goes by that I don't second guess myself, or my decisions, or worry about SOMETHING.  I'll be in the middle of a staff meeting and I'll have that moment of panic where OMG WHAT IF FI IS RIGHT ABOUT THE JERRY GARCIA TIES LOOKING AWFUL IN THE PHOTOS.  Which is usually followed up with something equally as trivial, such as OMG DO I NEED AISLE DECORATIONS????  And it just spirals out of control from there and I spend the rest of the day quietly melting down at my desk.

But, as my ever level-headed FI reminds me (daily now), there isn't anything left for us to do but finalize the menu and timeline and show up.  I don't know how FI lives with such an emotional trainwreck, but I am thankful every day that he's my rock. 

And I'm thankful for wine.  All the wine.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Same thing!!! I had a nightmare the other night that we had a reception but no ceremony. And I wasn't even in a dress and I was mad nobody showed up. Then the venue wasn't set up and they said it was because I was trying to get married a week before my actual date!!! Then I got mad because my makeup artist never showed up. It was a disaster. I remember waking up panicking. 
  • Glad it's not just me! I feel so much better about everything after having a little vent. Thanks for talking me down guys, normal service has resumed!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards