Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Engagement ring during ceremony

whats the proper thing to do with your engagement ring during ceremony? I've heard some people ...
-wear it on their left hand and just put the wedding band on top and switch after. -Or wear engagement on right and and switch it after.
-Or don't wear it at all.
whats the proper way? 

Re: Engagement ring during ceremony

• Either way is fine. At DDs wedding, the priest took both wedding rings and her engagement ring, blessed them then SIL put the engagement ring and wedding ring on her finger together. She had been wearing the engagement ring on her left finger up to that point. I wore my e ring on my right hand then put it on my left hand sometime after the exchange of rings but before pictures.
  • I wore it on my left and switched it during the ceremony. We did a first look and I wanted it on, plus it just felt weird to wear it on my right. My sister wore hers on her right that day and switched after the ceremony. You can do whatever you like. 
  • Our JP told me I needed to either not wear it or wear it on my right hand. I honestly forgot until we got to the ring part of the ceremony and then it was too late as it was still on my left hand. Oh well I just switched it after and it wasn't a big deal. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore mine as usual and just switched the order of the rings as soon as we were back down the aisle after the ceremony.
  • I wore mine on my right hand. 
  • I don't really think there is a proper way.  It is really whatever you feel comfortable doing.

I wore mine on my left hand because it is a little tight on my right and I didn't want to have to deal with it being stuck.

• I wore mine on my right hand, but that was the plan for it after the wedding anyway. My rings aren't a set and I wear the wedding ring on my left and E ring on my right.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I put my on my right hand but our officiant asked for both rings and has my husband put my wedding band on first and then my engagement ring as part of our ceremony.
  • I wore mine on my right hand, and had to silently redirect DH when he tried to put the wedding band on that hand - it confused him. He still likes to say that he can't believe I tried to trick him during our vows.
  • I didn't wear mine. I put my engagement ring on after the ceremony.

Random: It is huge pet peeve of mine when women wear their wedding bands on top of their engagement rings. I think your wedding band should be closest to your hand. I don't know why I care, but I do.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't wear mine during the ceremony. I am pretty sure my H had it in his pocket, and he gave it back right after the ceremony.

KatWAG said:

Random: It is huge pet peeve of mine when women wear their wedding bands on top of their engagement rings. I think your wedding band should be closest to your hand. I don't know why I care, but I do.

I thought I was alone on this! I also get irrationally annoyed when women wear the wedding band above the engagement ring. Technically the wedding ring should be closest to your hand (and therefore your heart).

So, personally, I think it would be odd to leave your e-ring on your left hand and slip the wedding band on top, but then again, I did say my annoyance was irrational.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • According to the late Amy Vanderbilt, you wear the engagement ring on your right hand and switch it after the ceremony.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • This was one of the things I filed under "things I couldn't give two fucks about," so I wore my E-ring on my left hand like usual, and swapped it around with my wedding band after the ceremony. 
    It would have felt weird wearing it on my right hand even for that short amount of time, so it stayed put. 

• I just wore mine as usual and switched them around after.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I wore it on the right hand.

Not that I think it matters.
  • My maid of honor wore it and then I grabbed it from her right after the ceremony. I already wear a ring daily on my right hand, or I probably would have done that.
  • I wore mine as usual on my left hand and then just switched the order of the rings after the ceremony. It felt weird to me to do it any other way after wearing my e ring daily for over a year.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am planning to wear my maternal grandmother's e-ring/wedding ring set on my right hand as my something borrowed, so I am planning to have my dad hold mine during the ceremony.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2016
    I didn't even think about it, so it stayed on my left hand and the band was put over top. Actually, that's how I ended up keeping it because my engagement ring was a little too big, and my wedding band kept it secure. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards