Chit Chat

Tell me about your lips

...or at least what lipstick/lipstain/lipgloss you use.

I'd love some recommendations.  I don't wear a lot of make-up, but I feel like lip color is necessary for me to feel presentable.  I'd like something that lasts a good portion of the day (so maybe a stain?) but I also feel like a lot of products dry out my lips.

What do you use?

Bonus if it's cheap.  I don't see myself spending more than maybe $15 for an item.  

Double bonus if you tell me the color.  I tend to like pinky/rosey colors.

SaveSave

Re: Tell me about your lips

• I use Mary Kay lipstick. I really like it. I think it does a decent job of lasting. It's very moisturizing. I just got Tuscan Rose, which is really gorgeous.  I think MK lipsticks are $12 or so. 
  • Blistex chap stick.  I prefer the lip medix one, cos it tingles.  Sorry, I don't wear colour cos it always wear off and I never think to put more on.  I find it drys out my lips too much.  

• Hmmm... I need a Mary kay seller, lol.

SaveSave
  • I like all kinds of lip products but my go-tos are Wet'n'Wild Megalast lipsticks. They are only $1.99 at CVS but they have great, intense color and a nice formula IMO. They don't do anything special, not for $1.99, but I think they work nice for everyday or for a short outing. I put them on over lip balm as they are a little dry. And if I'm going to an event I'll blot and do a second coat.

My favorite colors are "In the Flesh" and "Cherry Bomb" "In the Flesh" is my everyday and work shade - it's like a muted pink peach color (I am so not good at describing colors lol). It's a "my lips but better" color for me. Basically it's very close to the natural shade of my lip, but just a bit darker and peachier so I look more pulled together. And "Cherry Bomb" is my other favorite but not sure if you would like it as it's a very dark, bold cherry color. But there are tons of colors and for $4-6 you could buy a couple and experiment. :) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I use the Bare Minerals Lip Oil-Balm in Pink Passion. Feels almost like a chap-stick, but has a tint of color. I like it better than a lip stain, because its moisturizing. I wear it most days and only need to touch up after eating lunch. It's $16 retail, but lasts a while. I want it in the tangerine and plumberry pop!
  • I love all the Maybelline, Loreal, and Cover Girl non-transfer stuff. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • monkeysip said:
    Hmmm... I need a Mary kay seller, lol.
    You can search online by zip code for one in your area. 
  • I have an essence lipstick that is part of their nude range I bought for around 2 dollars, its great and adds a slight stain to my lips and since its nude when it does wear down I don't feel a need to touch it up.
    Maybeline lipsticks are my ride-or-die when it comes to inexpensive. The matte formulas can be a bit drying if you wear them a few days in a row though. 
    Revlon balm stain is also pretty good, honey is a fabulous everyday color. 

I like make up. 
  • Thanks!  I need to go shopping...

SaveSave
  • http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3000335

These are my faves.   I love 'Date Night'.  Let's go for a shopping/ wine date soon!
  • Really don't want to thread-jack and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to @lovesclimbing but I would look elsewhere besides Mary Kay for your lipstick purchases. They have really questionable business practices- I won't go into detail but if anyone is interested just check out pinktruth.com (I'm sure some of what's presented on that site is hyperbolic so don't take it as gospel, but I think it's worth being aware of).

I LOVE lipstick but my go-to is a little on the pricier side- I really love NARS, particularly their Pure Matte line (just because I like matte lipstick in general). My favorites for rosey pinks are the Pure Matte in Montego Bay and the Sheer in Dolce Vita (and assuming that's you in your siggy, OP, we have similar complexions and hair color).  They are around $26 each.
    Thanks for the info!  I really don't know anything about Mary Kay.  And thanks for the color recs!  

SaveSave
  • Really don't want to thread-jack and I mean this with absolutely no disrespect to @lovesclimbing but I would look elsewhere besides Mary Kay for your lipstick purchases. They have really questionable business practices- I won't go into detail but if anyone is interested just check out pinktruth.com (I'm sure some of what's presented on that site is hyperbolic so don't take it as gospel, but I think it's worth being aware of).

I LOVE lipstick but my go-to is a little on the pricier side- I really love NARS, particularly their Pure Matte line (just because I like matte lipstick in general). My favorites for rosey pinks are the Pure Matte in Montego Bay and the Sheer in Dolce Vita (and assuming that's you in your siggy, OP, we have similar complexions and hair color).  They are around $26 each.
    Oh that's fine. I understand some people aren't a fan of the company. I'm not a fan of a lot of direct sales myself. I don't wish to get into a debate about the company, but I do disagree that they have questionable business practices. 

I had no idea NARS do a matte line - I'm a huge fan of matte lipsticks. I'm gonna have to check it out, I'd been out off NARS previously becuase of their Audacious lipstick. Colour was amazing but it lasted all of 10mins, I need something that can be put through its paces. I love the MAC retro matte, but I think I've mentioned the Avon version before. It's a fraction of the cost and claims to be just as good as the MAC version. I'm waiting on mine to arrive and will report back!

• Colourpop is awesome. Their lip products range in the $5-6 range, so super cheap and good quality. I like their liquid lipsticks, personally. 

I love MAC's lipsticks but am not pleased about their switch to animal testing, personally. I try to avoid cruel brands. Wet n Wild is surprisingly also amazing for the price. The packaging SUCKS, but the quality of the product itself is so nice. I can come back with color suggestions, but I'd look at MAC Angel. What kind of pinks? A dark or light one? Cool or warm toned?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• monkeysipmonkeysip member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2016
    I usually go for the slightly cooler shades (I don't usually wear peach).  And I tend to like medium pink ones--I don't want really dark pink, and I also don't like the super light pink that's reminiscent of the frosted lip trend from the 90s, haha.  

SaveSave
  • I LOVE this Rimmel lipstick
    http://us.rimmellondon.com/products/lips/lasting-finish-by-kate-moss

It's not matte but a satin sheen. I use shades 14 and 28 and they look totally different in person than the swatches on the website

• I actually hate lipstick and whenever I try to go for a gloss, it never lasts and I don't like reapplying and getting all goopy. 

BUT. My sister gave me an Avon lip balm that is pink so it adds just enough color. Plus, since it's technically lip balm, it's really only moisturizing and you can reapply just like you would with Chapstick and not get goopy. 

• Avon's ever lasting lipstick in mauve ice and peach pink.  It really only stays on with my mac pro long wear lip liner though..... but it doesn't dry out my lips at all, the color is nice too.  I got them for $6 each.

• Pretty much all my makeup comes from Target except my lipstick. I love MAC because it stays on all day. I think they're like $18. I like the matte Pink Plaid, but I think my lips are a little too dark for it. I wear satin Pink Nouveau pretty regularly too. It's a little bright, but I love it. My all time favorite is NARS Brigitte, but it was $32. All good pinks! 
  • My favorite gloss is Buxom Full On Lip Polish in Brandi ($20) and I'm also currently obsessed with Dior Addict Lip Glow which is like $30 but its amazing.  Goes on like lip balm with a hint of color.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm personally a fan of MAC.  I also have a lip stain by Vicious that I really like.  It lasts all day if I use it with my Too Faced lip pencil and it will last almost all day.  However, the Vicious is a little drying, so I put on a little chapstick and that seems to work perfectly.  

• @glasgowtolondon Did you ever try the Avon Matte lipstick? I need a new matte lipstick and was hoping for something decent that's cheaper than MAC.
  • arrippa said:
    @glasgowtolondon Did you ever try the Avon Matte lipstick? I need a new matte lipstick and was hoping for something decent that's cheaper than MAC.
    @arrippa sorry, I just saw this! I did indeed try the avon matte and I really like it! It's not as good as Mac for sure, but it's a great version for a fraction of the price. It's a little less matte, but that might be better if you struggle with the Mac retro matte texture (it took me a while to get used to how 'dry' it is), but then it also lasts ever so slightly less before transferring onto food/drinks. On the whole it's a really good lipstick for the cost, I recommend!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards