Favors

Favour Momentos - yay or nay?

karaveronicakaraveronica member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited March 2016 in Favors
Looking for everyone's opinion!!

The favours for our Country wedding are Mason Jar Mugs with popcorn kernels (to carry on the theme of our Late night popcorn bar) and some home made chocolates.

My question: should we etch the Mason Jars? I was thinking of using our wedding date and initials or maybe a cheese quite like "Fall in Love" (September Wedding)

Do you think it's a good idea? Or do you think people won't care or think they're tacky? I've done some glass etching before and know how time consuming it is... Would it be worth it to etch 120+ jars?

Another idea I had, rather than etching the jars, would be paint/stamp it onto the burlap 'lids' we are doing. That way it would be discardable but keep everything together on the inside...

Thanks for your help!!

Re: Favour Momentos - yay or nay?

• Looking for everyone's opinion!!

The favours for our Country wedding are Mason Jar Mugs with popcorn kernels (to carry on the theme of our Late night popcorn bar) and some home made chocolates.

My question: should we etch the Mason Jars? I was thinking of using our wedding date and initials or maybe a cheese quite like "Fall in Love" (September Wedding)

Do you think it's a good idea? Or do you think people won't care or think they're tacky? I've done some glass etching before and know how time consuming it is... Would it be worth it to etch 120+ jars?

Another idea I had, rather than etching the jars, would be paint/stamp it onto the burlap 'lids' we are doing. That way it would be discardable but keep everything together on the inside...

Thanks for your help!!
    Ill be honest here, many people are not going to keep the mason jars. Especially if they have the date or your initials on them. I would spend minimal time on gussying them up as they are basically doing a job a paper bag could also do. 
  • No, I don't want anything with the couples names, initials, or wedding date on them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• If you really want to personalise your favours I vote for it on the burlap lids, but honestly I don't think it's necessary. Save yourself the stress!

• I concur.  I think on our edible favors, we had little tags that said "thank you," so guests knew they were the favor (although I think they would have figured it out with one at each place setting without any tag at all).  With all the things you'll be doing leading up to your wedding, it's worth it to save your energy on this DIY and leave the jars plain.  
  • My kitchen isn't small, I have no children (no bottles, sippy cups etc.) and LOVE tea but I still threw out 8 mugs just last week. I don't know how much $120 mason jars cost but I would save your money or upgrade the chocolates/have more and just put them in plastic or paper bags.

• No.

Let's say etching is $2/jar. Multiply that by your guest list count. You could probably do a couple's massage or something else that's fun on your honeymoon. Plus people can easily reuse a neutral jar vs. a jar personalized with your info.

*********************************************************************************

• I love mason jars, but actually just donated four that were etched. I hated that they didn't match my other jars and had the wedding information on them. Personally, I would keep them plain or just go with disposable packaging.
  • Perfect, thanks everyone! I appreciate the input :smiley: 
    Mason Jar Mugs have been purchased already so we're not changing that (and with respect to everyone's opinions, I wouldn't even if we could, they were the central part of the vision!) so I'll probably go with just plane burlap 'lids' and maybe a little thank you tag. The more I thought about etching and wanted to do it, the more I realized it was probably a bad idea.
  • Love the favor idea but skip the etching. People are more likely to keep & reuse without the etching.
  • I would love this favor, but once I made the popcorn, the jar goes in the trash.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with nay to the etching. I really don't want anything to keep of my own that would have someone elses wedding date on it. I keep invitations in a scrapbook of sorts, so I have that as a memento of the date.

I think mason jars are cool, but I don't keep them myself. Some of my friends can and one friend uses mason jars for storing soup. So I would give the jar to one of them.
  • Don't do the etching. Favors that have been "personalized" don't go over particularly well and tend to get abandoned at weddings.
  • I think the popcorn is a great idea since it follows one of the features of your wedding.  But I would put it in a burlap bag or something so its still decorative but not expensive and people wont feel bad about throwing it out once they make the popcorn.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards