Wedding Reception Forum

The Hospitality suite Mandalay bay Las Vegas

OK so this is something that I have been racking my brain with and damn near going crazy I live in California and I am not trying to go or arrive all the way in Las Vegas to either A) have our reception shut down or B) If they find out that we have outside food we will get denied being able to bring our food in. Even if we brought in the food ourselves I don't know???????..... and also we will be providing our own liquor because their prices are ridiculous and we plan on having about 50 to 60 people and I only want the hospitality suite I am going to however get the conjoining bedroom so my plan was to book the hospitality suite with conjoining room for my wedding next March 2017 and then if they ask about the catering Ill just tell them that I don't really know...... "I have my own cake and I'm just using it just for cake" Or I can just buy a cheap item? that's pretty much it. I don't know and it's like how would they know what's in my bag what's in my suitcase I just don't understand I feel like if it's a suite policy where there's no outside food but other people that have booked the Vista and other suites and have had no problem with bringing in outside food then why should I especially if I'm getting the conjoining room. AmI right am I wrong in my overthinking should I do it because the other option is not even really an option because I'm not buying food from them nor am I buying alcohol from them so I feel like I should be fine but what do you guys think

Re: The Hospitality suite Mandalay bay Las Vegas

• edited March 2016
    Missash86 said:
    OK so this is something that I have been racking my brain with and damn near going crazy I live in California and I am not trying to go or arrive all the way in Las Vegas to either A) have our reception shut down or B) If they find out that we have outside food we will get denied being able to bring our food in. Even if we brought in the food ourselves I don't know???????..... and also we will be providing our own liquor because their prices are ridiculous and we plan on having about 50 to 60 people and I only want the hospitality suite I am going to however get the conjoining bedroom so my plan was to book the hospitality suite with conjoining room for my wedding next March 2017 and then if they ask about the catering Ill just tell them that I don't really know...... "I have my own cake and I'm just using it just for cake" Or I can just buy a cheap item? that's pretty much it. I don't know and it's like how would they know what's in my bag what's in my suitcase I just don't understand I feel like if it's a suite policy where there's no outside food but other people that have booked the Vista and other suites and have had no problem with bringing in outside food then why should I especially if I'm getting the conjoining room. AmI right am I wrong in my overthinking should I do it because the other option is not even really an option because I'm not buying food from them nor am I buying alcohol from them so I feel like I should be fine but what do you guys think
    Sorry, what is the question here?

Eta: This is super confusing to read. You are not allowed outside food or drink at this venue. ...However that is your plan anyway? And you want to know if we think you'll get away with it? Why would you take a risk like that on your wedding day? 

• Why would you ever risk something so stupid? They say no outside catering, they mean it. Especially alcohol. You are voiding their liquor license. 60 people isn't exactly 4 friends sharing pizza and drinking beers. The hotel is responsible if someone is overserved, so you are paying for their bartender, their insurance etc. 

I have friends who work at very high end hotels. They know EVERYTHING that is going on. Ev.er.y.thing! If you think you are "sneaking past them" it's just that they are letting you get away with it. Voiding their insurance is a huge liability and I would have no doubt you are running a huge risk of being not just shut down but everyone (including you) kicked out. Do you want to be pulling your suitcase in your dress down the strip looking for a place to stay? 

Do do you know how much food and drink is required for 60 people? Well beyond a bottle of champers on your suitcase. Caterers need trolleys, heavy equipment, vans, assistants. Do you think when a van saying "Susan's catering" pulls up out front and starts unloading all of this equipment and food, the bellhop and front desk manager are just going to look the other way? Cases upon cases of wine and beer going to a party suite on a bellhop trolley is just going to be left alone?

Sorry, it looks like you can't afford your hotel suite party as planned. Start looking at restaurants you can afford or scaling back your suite to a dry wedding/ food package you can afford.
    QFT
  • Missash86 said:
    I think you need to find a new venue if you're refusing to buy their food and alcohol. This is a full service hotel suite venue. You have booked a party space. You're not talking about getting a room for 2 and sneaking in a few drinks for you and your hubby, you're talking about self-catering an event at a place that already has catering. Would you book a restaurant's private room and then bring in your own food and drinks?

Not to mention, like others have said, how are you planning to "sneak in" alcohol for 50 or 60 people? Conservatively, you're talking several cases of beer and wine...where are you going to hide it? (This is what they're going to care about most. This is a serious legal concern for the hotel).

If it's all about the personal repercussions to you, as it seems like it is, the chance of you getting kicked out of the hotel for this is very, very high. Are you willing to risk that on your wedding day? 

• Color me confused as well. It sounds like you're planning to self-cater in a space that requires hotel catering and hope that you get away with it because you think other people have done the same? If I'm wrong OP please clarify. 

You mention other rooms at the hotel where people have brought in food and drinks; if that is allowed by the hotel why not book those rooms? If no self catering is allowed I agree with PPs that you need to find another venue. 
  • I googled it because I was curious what the menu options were, and it says only seating for 20 and max capacity 39. So not only do you want to break the catering and liquor rules, you want to have 40 guests stand the whole party and go over fire capacity by 20?! Yeah, this is guaranteed to be shut down. 
    Yeah this has bad idea written all over it. 
  • LizzieyounceLizzieyounce member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    But the pictures! 

Seriously though...

It is a beautiful room, but you cannot possibly host the amount of people on you guest list in the comfort that is proper for guests.  Chair for every arse, food and beverage appropriate to the time of day (that the guests don't have to open their wallets for!).

Everyone else touched on the impossibility of getting away with the whole food/booze thing.

You can get married in Vegas, you can do it within your budget and it can be beautiful.  It just takes some footwork and planning.  Don't risk the embarrassment of getting booted out of your wedding venue because you want to get married in a place you can't afford.

Or scale back on your guest list and have it in the suite, that way you can afford to use their required services and have the wedding you and your SO want to have.

ETA: words.

• You can get married in Vegas, you can do it within your budget and it can be beautiful.  It just takes some footwork and planning.  Don't risk the embarrassment of getting booted out of your wedding venue because you want to get married in a place you can't afford.

Or scale back on your guest list and have it in the suite, that way you can afford to use their required services and have the wedding you and your SO want to have.

ETA: words.
    QFT
  • I see this ending before it starts.  
  • This is a mess. OP, you don't think the Mandalay Bay is going to care if you try to bring in outside food, alcoholic beverages, and if you go over capacity?  If you can't afford your plans, you need to scale back.  I find the lack of common sense here a little ridiculous, as well as the blatant dishonesty.  I also think you have zero idea of how much food and drinks sixty people will need (not even touching the issue of having 40 people stand--so rude).  

Oh, and punctuation is your friend.  

• Hold on hold on...... If you didn't have a reception at MB then don't respond. It's not a matter of not being able to afford it. I just read reviews and post on others who had receptions in the MB suites and brought in outside food. So this post wasn't for those that have had no previous experience with MB. Nor was it for someone to break down the logistics to me and other unnecessary comments...... And punctuation was missed because I was voice texting and didn't have time to proof. If you look at the past post of others who've done their receptions at MB then you'd understand what I'm talking about.
  • Missash86 said:
    Hold on hold on...... If you didn't have a reception at MB then don't respond. It's not a matter of not being able to afford it. I just read reviews and post on others who had receptions in the MB suites and brought in outside food. So this post wasn't for those that have had no previous experience with MB. Nor was it for someone to break down the logistics to me and other unnecessary comments...... And punctuation was missed because I was voice texting and didn't have time to proof. If you look at the past post of others who've done their receptions at MB then you'd understand what I'm talking about.
    I'm not sure if it matters whether or not we've been to this particular venue. By doing what you're proposing, you're risking your whole reception getting canceled without a refund because you're (a) serving unauthorized food and drink, thus going against your contract, and (b) exceeding room capacity by about 50%. This doesn't sound like a good bet for anyone to make on their wedding day, even if others have gotten away with it before. 

If sounds like you're going to try to do whatever you want anyway, but this is a terrible idea, and we'd be pretty terrible people to validate it then let you learn the hard way.

Also, most vendors read forums like these, and you can bet your wedding budget that the MB staff is now going to be extra vigilant regarding all Hospitality Suite reservations for March 2017. 
  • edited March 2016
    You post something in a public forum, people are going to respond. The PPs are trying to help you, if you only listen. But you seem set on doing things your way. Just be prepared for consequences, and don't be rude to people who only want to offer you constructive advice.

ETA: I'm LMFAO at that dress, @glasgowtolondon.
  • Missash86 said:
    Hold on hold on...... If you didn't have a reception at MB then don't respond. It's not a matter of not being able to afford it. I just read reviews and post on others who had receptions in the MB suites and brought in outside food. So this post wasn't for those that have had no previous experience with MB. Nor was it for someone to break down the logistics to me and other unnecessary comments...... And punctuation was missed because I was voice texting and didn't have time to proof. If you look at the past post of others who've done their receptions at MB then you'd understand what I'm talking about.
    Then risk it, I guess? What are you asking for from us? If you already think you can get away with it because other people have, then what feedback were you asking for?

Were it my wedding, I would not take the chance, nor would I try to scam my venue.

• Tell you what, OP, why don't you lay out the rules of what we can and can't comment on. That'd be really helpful. 

If you are dead set on doing this then I suggest you go to the Las Vegas board. I'd urge you to really think about this as if it backfires what the hell would you do? Your wedding day could be memorable for all the wrong reasons.

• Tell you what, OP, why don't you lay out the rules of what we can and can't comment on. That'd be really helpful. 

If you are dead set on doing this then I suggest you go to the Las Vegas board. I'd urge you to really think about this as if it backfires what the hell would you do? Your wedding day could be memorable for all the wrong reasons.
    OP can't follow the rules that could ruin her whole wedding but expects us to follow her rules that unless we've had a wedding at this location we can't tell her how terrible an idea it is. As Alanis said, isn't it ironic?

OP, find a new venue, one that can hold/seat all your guests and one where you don't need to sneak shit in and risk being thrown out/sued for breach of contract.
  • K thanks guys lol
  • Don't worry, guys, she was told on Wedding Wire that if she googled there were A TON of brides who had brought in outside food and were totally fine.  *eye roll*  Although, to be fair, many people said the exact same things we did.  Who wants to take bets that OP tries it anyways?  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards