Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Donut tower- flavor ideas?

We're thinking of having a donut tower rather than a traditional wedding cake. Neither of us are really cake people, and we thought it would be easier to make sure there were vegan and gluten free options with donuts rather than getting separate cakes. I think it will look really cute, too! However, I want it to be a little fancier than dunkin donuts or krispy kreme selection, what would be some good flavors for an autumn wedding? We're thinking pumpkin and chai flavors, and maybe maple. Any other good ones? 

Re: Donut tower- flavor ideas?

• edited March 2016
    Apple-filled or cinnamon would be great. What a fun idea!
  • Can my H come to your wedding? He lives for donuts

id do a cinnamon and then classic yeast and chocolate cake too. I'd be wary of anything messy like filled donuts or powdered sugar or maybe even cinnamon sugar that might get on clothes
  • Definitely include a chocolate option.
  • You should share this on your local board too; people there may be able to recommend a particular bakery. 
  • Love donuts. If you are interested in doing some that are gluten free/vegan, consider having them separate. For those with a true gluten allergy, if they were touching the other donuts, the guest would be hooped.
  • ernursej said:
    Love donuts. If you are interested in doing some that are gluten free/vegan, consider having them separate. For those with a true gluten allergy, if they were touching the other donuts, the guest would be hooped.
    QFT
  • @OurWildKingdom ... what does QFT mean? I can only think of "quite f*cking true" but I feel that is not right :D
  • edited March 2016
    @ernursej, it means "quoted for truth." I have a young cousin with severe food allergies. Her mother and stepfather pack her food for everything, but cross-contamination is always a concern. 
  • @OurWildKingdom - ah makes sense!

I have a severe shellfish allergy and everytime that I've had a reaction, it has been due to cross contamination. It is a bugger.

• ernursej said:
    @OurWildKingdom ... what does QFT mean? I can only think of "quite f*cking true" but I feel that is not right :D
    "quite fucking true"  Omg, I'm dying.  I'm definitely thinking that next time I see QFT.  

Good call on keeping the gluten free stuff separate.  Yes, a lot of people are "gluten free" without knowing what it means (SO's mom being one of them).  But then there are people like my friend who have to be hospitalized if there is any cross contamination.  

OP, even though it's a fall wedding, I would also be sure to include the traditional flavors too.  Although a maple bar is great, I'd still probably choose a glazed donut or sprinkle donut instead.  What a fun idea! 

• Related question/advice- are you arranging the donuts on a tiered plate?

Someone I know had donuts at her wedding at the presentation was... less than appetizing. Like someone just dumped out a box of donuts on the table. It was.... odd. And no one ate them. 

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    ernursej said:
    @OurWildKingdom ... what does QFT mean? I can only think of "quite f*cking true" but I feel that is not right :D
    OK, I seriously thought this what QFT meant!

OP- Love the idea. I agree to have some classic flavours, but I think flavours like pumpkin, apple cinnamon, and maple would be yummy too!

If you are going to have multiple flavours, do order enough that your guests can have more than one donut. DH and I would take two each, all different flavours, then share so we could taste them all ;).
  • kvruns said:
    Can my H come to your wedding? He lives for donuts

id do a cinnamon and then classic yeast and chocolate cake too. I'd be wary of anything messy like filled donuts or powdered sugar or maybe even cinnamon sugar that might get on clothes
    I love all the apple suggestions- I didn't even think of that! That is a GREAT point about powdered sugar or cinnamon, thank you for bringing that up because I was considering it because of traditional white colors- glazed would have the same white, with a sheen!
  • Related question/advice- are you arranging the donuts on a tiered plate?

Someone I know had donuts at her wedding at the presentation was... less than appetizing. Like someone just dumped out a box of donuts on the table. It was.... odd. And no one ate them. 
    Yeah, we're doing it in a tower like a wedding cake tiered display =)
  • That is a great idea!
    You should share this on your local board too; people there may be able to recommend a particular bakery. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards