Chit Chat

What are you reading these days?

Anything good? 

I've really been in a book rut lately. I either put myself on the Hold list at the library for bestsellers (which may take a looong time), or try to purchase books when they're on special for $2-$4 via Amazon. I just tried The Ninth Wife, which was disappointingly bland, and The Other Wife, which was compelling but also fell short for me. 

I did pre-order the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child script, which comes out in July. Looking forward to that! 

Re: What are you reading these days?

• bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    I just reread Jane Eyre because my FMIL gave it to me for Christmas last year. Interestingly, I enjoyed it A LOT more than when I read it in college, but I have also grown since then.

Now I'm re-reading His Dark Materials trilogy, by Philip Pullman. Haven't read it since I was 12, but I remember how much it resonated with me, and I'm feeling terribly nostalgic. Also just picked up Ripper by Isabel Allende. I love her writing so much, I can't wait to start it.

ETA: I almost finished Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman, but it missed for me and when the library wanted it back, I didn't feel sad about returning it.  Disappointing, because I loved  American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I'm currently reading American Psycho. To be honest it took me a bit to get in to the book because it was rather weird. But DUH, the main character is literally insane. I am loving it now and appreciate how great the author is at portraying the madness.
  • I'm currently re-reading two of my favorites. Acheron and Styxx. Deep history ( most of t takes place in ancient Greece), with some great paranormal stuff. Its so freaking amazing, and I cry every time I read them.

• I just finished The Room by Emma Donoghue.  It's written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy, so that took a little bit to get through, but I finished the second half in a single day because once it got started I couldn't stop!
  • I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I thought it was the best book I have read in awhile. For a different change of pace, I just started Valley of the Dolls. I am very surprised how interesting it is.
  • I just finished The Moonlit Garden and The Thin Wire. The Moonlit Garden was better, a little mystery and little love story. The thin wire was a story of a heroin addict told from her view and her mother's. It reminded me of another story I recently read (painkillers and gummi bears?) about a kid with heart failure and I really didn't like that book, it tired too hard to be inspirational. I am also reading Gone With the Wind for the first time, I have waited my whole life to watch the movie because I wanted to read the book first and I finally got my hands on a copy.

If you have a kindle and Amazon prime, check out kindle unlimited. 10$/month for 10 at a time, return when you want and get more. If you buy three 4$ books a month, it is totally worth it.
  • Doing a chick lit stretch at the moment, probably cos everything else I read if grad studies bullshit.  

Just finished Career Girls and Career Game by Louise Bagshawe/Mensch.  Now I'm on to Good in Bed by Jennifer Wiener.  

Louise Bagshawe/Mensch did about the stupidest thing, if you ask me.  She wrote about 10-12 books under Bagshawe, got married and changed her name to Mensch.  Fine, but she changed her name on her books too.  I didn't even know the last 2 had come out until a couple of months ago cos there is not connection anywhere between the 2 names.  Nothing linking the 2 names on amazon, no news release that I heard of, nothing.  It seemed like a good way to lose your fanbase, if you ask me 

• I have been wanting to re-read Harry Potter for a few years now but now I want to re-read The Series of Unfortunate Events (I'm such a "kid" reader sometimes)

• I tried to read the Dark Materials Trilogy, but Pullman's utter contempt for Christianity started to wear on me too much, and I never finished the 3rd book. . . or was it the 2nd?

Currently I'm reading Big Little Lies; it's a novel about a murder that occurs in a social circle of Australian kindergarten parents.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• currently reading my accounting, macroeconomics and urban cultures books. Yup went back to school. 
    I plan on reading the newest book in the clifton chronicles after the semester is over and before my summer class begins
  • I recently read Brooklyn for the book club I'm in and I liked it but it also left me wanting. I want to watch the movie now, I've heard it's very similar but that it adds a bit that I felt was missing in the book.

I use bookbub and get free kindle books. Sometimes they suck and I give up after a chapter or two but other times I get really good books from some unknown authors. I just finished Fry which I'd consider it a kind of thriller mystery. I did like the story a lot and it kept me guessing however the authors development of characters was rather poor. They seemed pretty flat to me. 

I've been trying to decide what to read next since I'm not feeling the current books I've already downloaded and I'm not ready to jump back into the Game of Thrones books yet (partly because I feel like it's a bit tasking mentally with all of the characters and plots and partly because I know I'll be sad when it's over and I'm waiting for the last 2 books to be written). Thanks @AddieCake, the firefly book sounds interesting so I just bought it and am going to start it during lunch.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like books set in a dystopian future.  Most recent read was Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.  Excellent.  Also recently re-read the Hunger Games trilogy.  Recently read The Maze Runner trilogy and The Selection trilogy.  Both of those have 4th books or prequels or novellas taking place in the same world but I just don't care enough to give them a chance.  Read We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.  The world was interesting, the storytelling was not.
  • @marriedhamstermom Let me know what you think!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm currently reading The Series of Unfortunate Events books, because I wanted something quick to fill the time while waiting for some library holds.  I desperately waiting for Library of Souls (I'm finally next on the hold list), the 3rd book in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series.  I loved the first two.

I think next on my list are Gone Girl, The Stand, and maybe Great Expectations.

• I just finished The Room by Emma Donoghue.  It's written from the perspective of a 5 year old boy, so that took a little bit to get through, but I finished the second half in a single day because once it got started I couldn't stop!
    I assume this is the book the movie is based off of? Didn't know that it was a book first!

I am desperately trying to motivate myself to read the third compendium of The Walking Dead comics, because H finished it and keeps pressuring me to read it so we can discuss (and also so the show doesn't ruin anything). I am about 30 pages into it, and despite the fact that it's a super quick read, I can't bring myself to actually sit down and read it.

I recently tried to read The Gunslinger (the first book in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King) on my sister's recommendation, but I just can't get into that, either... I really wanted to like it, but it's just, too... I don't know, weird and ethereal.  

@adk19 I am also a fan of dystopian future books, as well as sci-fi. I have read the Hunger Games trilogy a few times, as well as Harry Potter. I read the first two books of the Divergent series, but I knew the third book would be disappointing so I didn't read it. I DO want to read the Maze Runner series, though. Maybe I'll try that next.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @madamerwin I didn't know it was a movie!  I need to find it now!
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    @madamerwin I didn't know it was a movie!  I need to find it now!
    Pretty sure it won some Academy Awards this year! It was at least nominated. I have not seen it, but I want to... Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3170832/

ETA Duh, now I see you linked to the IMDB page in your post...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited March 2016
    @madamerwin I didn't know it was a movie!  I need to find it now!
    Pretty sure it won some Academy Awards this year! It was at least nominated. I have not seen it, but I want to... Here's a link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3170832/
    I'm seriously the worst with movies!  I'm so bad FI got me The Bodyguard for my birthday and the last new movie I believe I watched was Gone Girl when it was released on HBO.

ETA, I don't even really pay attention to the cover of a book, so I just went and looked and it does say "Now a major motion picture."  Oops!
  • I'm currently reading The Series of Unfortunate Events books, because I wanted something quick to fill the time while waiting for some library holds.  I desperately waiting for Library of Souls (I'm finally next on the hold list), the 3rd book in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series.  I loved the first two.

I didn't read Gone Girl since I saw the movie 1st, but I did read Sharp Objects, and liked it.  Check that one out too!

I remember reading about Room when it 1st was released and I decided to skip it because it seemed to dark and creepy for me. . . and I'm into some dark, creepy stuff.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

I didn't read Gone Girl since I saw the movie 1st, but I did read Sharp Objects, and liked it.  Check that one out too!

I remember reading about Room when it 1st was released and I decided to skip it because it seemed to dark and creepy for me. . . and I'm into some dark, creepy stuff.
    It's oddly dark and twisty and hopeful and at times even lighthearted.  I wasn't into it until about 1/3 of the way through the book (or the end of the first chapter).

Thanks, I'm adding Sharp Objects to my Amazon list!
  • Sharp Objects and Dark Places are soooo twisted. If people thought Gone Girl was screwed up, those others are even more so. Great books in a highly disturbing way! 

• Room is coming soon in my Netflix queue and I can't wait. It had a very limited release so that's probably why you didn't know. It never came to a theater near me.

• I just finished the Insurgent (Divergent book 2) and I'm getting ready to read book 1 of Miss Peregrine.

@adk19 - you might enjoy a series I read called the Testing Trilogy - The Testing, Independent Study and Graduation Day.  Similar to the Divergent series.

@MissJeanlouise - Gone with the Wind is one of my favorites.  When I my mom passed, I inherited 1st or 2nd print edition that was also my great grandmothers.

• I just finished the Insurgent (Divergent book 2) and I'm getting ready to read book 1 of Miss Peregrine.

@adk19 - you might enjoy a series I read called the Testing Trilogy - The Testing, Independent Study and Graduation Day.  Similar to the Divergent series.

@MissJeanlouise - Gone with the Wind is one of my favorites.  When I my mom passed, I inherited 1st or 2nd print edition that was also my great grandmothers.
    Thanks!  Just bought The Testing on Kindle since it was $3.99.  Started re-reading Snowcrash at lunch and just can't do it right now.  I'm pretty sure it was one of my first dystopian novels and I enjoyed it, but it's not a good re-read.
  • MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2016
    adk19 said:
    I just finished the Insurgent (Divergent book 2) and I'm getting ready to read book 1 of Miss Peregrine.

Thanks!  Just bought The Testing on Kindle since it was $3.99.  Started re-reading Snowcrash at lunch and just can't do it right now.  I'm pretty sure it was one of my first dystopian novels and I enjoyed it, but it's not a good re-read.
    I'll look into Snowcrash.  

I really enjoyed the Testing series.  The author has new book that just came out called Need.  It's a stand alone, but haven't read it yet.

ETA:  I've been a on YA series kick lately.  Another you might enjoy is the My Fair Assassins trilogy - Grave Mercy, Dark Triumph and Mortal Heart.  Assassin nuns.  Set in the 1400s (I think) in the Brittany region of France.  

I also tend to not worry about books, especially fiction, being great literary works.  I read it, if I enjoy it, I recommend it.  

• edited March 2016
    adk19 said:
    I just finished the Insurgent (Divergent book 2) and I'm getting ready to read book 1 of Miss Peregrine.

Sweet, I'm glad you said it was $3.99 and similar to Divergent. Just snapped it up too. 
    Also looking up other suggestions as we speak :) 

ETA: Got Light of the Fireflies on Kindle First for $1.99. 

• edited March 2016
    I'm so glad I'm not alone in loving YA books! I'm a big reader, but I've been very lax lately. I've started a few books I enjoy but haven't finished them yet -- too much time here!  ;)
  • @OurWildKingdom - I work in publishing and have found that a lot of YA books (and sometimes younger) are more interesting and better reads than some of the adult books I come across.

• edited March 2016
    @OurWildKingdom - I work in publishing and have found that a lot of YA books (and sometimes younger) are more interesting and better reads than some of the adult books I come across.
    I totally agree! Any time I bring home a YA or children's book, I tell FW it's "research." (I have lots of nieces and nephews of varying ages, and my soon-to-be SD is 6) She knows better but just goes with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards