Snarky Brides

This Cash Bar Wedding had a new and horrible twist

ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited January 2016 in Snarky Brides
Okay, Can I preface this by saying that FI and I did not actually attend this wedding but saw first hand evidence of the horrors.  My Step Mum was also a witness.

A while back when we were searching for our venue we viewed a Scottish stately home with a converted stable for your reception.  One of the things that attracted us to the venue was that you could stock your own bar with no corkage charges to the venue.  This would have saved about 50% of our drinks costs once you had hired a bartender.

Well anyway we were looking round the venue and it's a total tip from the last wedding, tacky tacky decorations everywhere, supermarket food packaging on the ground and empty wine bottles that were clearly all brought by their guests.  I can say this with certainty as the bottles were all different supermarket brands and types, so if the couple had purchased them they would have been in bulk with many of the same type surely?

Anyway there was a new bride there starting set up for her wedding in 5 days time and you should of seen the look on her Mum's face!  My step Mum's face was a picture as well.  FI wanted to leave straight away but I said it would be rude as we had an appointment.

We go into the bar area on our showround and the previous couple had placed chalk boards asking for a 'suggested donation' for the various drinks.  It was £2 for a pint of beer, £2 for a large wine and £1 for a soft drink.  The reason for the 'suggested donation' was that clearly the couple did not obtain a licence to sell alcohol.  We were disgusted!  It was literally the tackiest thing we had ever seen.

What is the worst thing about this story in your opinion?

1.  FI is a restaurant supervisor and knew that the products being sold would only cost around 75% of their 'suggested' donation.

2.  The venue hire was £5,000-£7,000 (so up to $10,000) dependent on the areas taken, and that was for dry hire, so no food, no drink no nothing.  Around here this is more than some people spend on their entire weddings!  

And they were still too cheap to buy a couple of kegs (£100 each?) and some bottles of wine!  

We did not pick the venue but interestedly enough they have now stopped couples from stocking their own bar due to the mess left behind.  Just an example of rude selfish disorganised people ruining it for those who put on their events properly.

Re: This Cash Bar Wedding had a new and horrible twist

• I don't really know where to start, lol. 

But I will say, if I have to pay for my booze, I'd rather BYO than cash bar... much cheaper for me. 

Two quid for a large wine is actually cheap compared to bar prices in many regions in the US... That's happy hour pricing where I live. 

But yeah, I should never pay for my booze at a wedding anyway!

• I myself would rather pay a company than the couple.  

And I can't think of anything tackier than having to drink warm Chardonnay at a wedding that I had to have in my bag during the ceremony and drinks reception.  It reminds me of a student party.
  • LOL I'm so bitchy today x
  • Yep, I left student parties behind a long time ago and a wedding isn't the place to bring it back! Thats what a halloween party at a friend of a friends flatshare is for!

• The thing is when people do these things in real life you would never say a word about it to them. 
  • I myself would rather pay a company than the couple.  

And I can't think of anything tackier than having to drink warm Chardonnay at a wedding that I had to have in my bag during the ceremony and drinks reception.  It reminds me of a student party.

Yep!  I'm picturing a flask in my purse.  Or wearing one of those specialty bras that hold the liquid equivalent of an entire bottle of wine (surreptitiously tucking the straw back into my dress).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The worst thing is that no guest should ever be expected to pay for anything at a wedding, whether it's alcohol or anything else.
  • I've heard that some "budget" couples who have a location where they can stock their own bar will essentially collect wine over their year-long or longer engagement, instead of buying it all at once. That way they can get sales, etc., and the cost is spread out.

So MAYBE it's wasn't BYOB?!?! 
  • MandyMost said:
    I've heard that some "budget" couples who have a location where they can stock their own bar will essentially collect wine over their year-long or longer engagement, instead of buying it all at once. That way they can get sales, etc., and the cost is spread out.

So MAYBE it's wasn't BYOB?!?! 
    Yeah, thats probably what the couple did, it's also what I'm doing. Whatever, no one is snarking on that. The point of the original post from @ScottishSarahwas that the couple charged their guests for the booze that they bought themselves. It was actually a pp that suggested she would prefer BYOB than a cash bar. So not MAYBE it wasn't BYOB.......it wasn't. Is that okay?

• GlasgowtoLondon I think they were doing both, as in BYB for wine, as well as selling the beer wine and spirits.
  • We had a 30 person wedding at a winery. The winery suggested wines not to have on display at the wedding (the highest abv content, the most expensive, etc.)  We had an open wine bar. 

We then went to costco and got 4 cases of people's favorite beer.  We also got cases of water, coke and diet coke. 

Only one person whined and that was because we didn't have pepsi. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards