Chit Chat

Tattoo chat?

I have an appointment this weekend for my next tattoo and since I'm so excited I just want to talk tattoos.

Do you have any? Do you want any? Do you feel like my mom and mime gagging whenever someone brings up tattoos? I just wanna talk tattoos!

Re: Tattoo chat?

• I have one!
    It's just some small script on my lower abdomen. Never visible now in 2016 aside from in a swimsuit but definitely visible in 2001 when I got it and low-slung jeans were all the rage. 
    The biggest question I ever got was, "What if you have kids?" My response has always been, "When I have kids, the father will love me too much to give two shits if my stomach tattoo stretches and I'd probably never show it again in public anyway."

My dad was angry and gave me the silent treatment for awhile when I got it. Don't think my mom ever cared. They got over it in about two weeks though. I still don't think they know my sister has one on her lower back! 

• I just got my 7th one done yesterday! Before I met H, I had a few small ones - one on my hip, one on my ribs and one on my left arm. His parents are COVERED in tattoos and H really wanted to start on a sleeve so they took him to get one the first Christmas we were together. For our first anniversary, we went together and now we go about 1-2 times a year to get work done. The one I got yesterday finished off the half sleeve I have on my right arm - it's vintage themed with a ship, two swallows and now a mermaid on my inner arm. Need to start thinking about what to get next! 
  • edited March 2016
    Oooh one of my favorite subjects.

I have 3 of them. One on my left shoulder blade, one on my right wrist, and one on the top of my right foot. Planning to get my 4th on my left forearm before summer. Gotta keep it even right? ;)

So far, all of mine are faith-related. It's nice to look down every day and have reminders of who I am and what I believe.

Fun fact: my mom actually paid for my first tattoo. I got it on my 21st birthday. I was shocked that she was ok with it! She ended up getting her first tattoo a few years later at 56. We went together right after her and my father's divorce was final.

ETA words for clarity

• My parents still don't know about my first tattoo (it's on my hip, completely hidden and only a handful of people have seen it. I sometimes forget it's there, even), they think my forearm tattoo is my only tattoo and that this next one is my second. I am not sure if I'll ever set them straight, my first tattoo is pretty shitty and I got lucky that it's totally hidden. I learned my lesson and while it's painful having to wait weeks for my appointment it's worth it for quality work.

My SIL has a good number of tattoos and my MIL has a couple, one for each of her kids and the one for my husband is absolutely adorable, so at least I don't have to worry about comments from their side :pensive: 

My mom has come around and while she still acts disgusted by tattoos she picked me up from my last appointment and I made her watch him finishing up. My dad on the other hand is still totally against them but their one rule was "no tattoos until you're on your own" and I almost followed that (see above re: hip tattoo). I moved out and ~5 months later I had my tattoo.
  • FW has a semicolon on a pink and blue watercolor background on her left arm. She's talked about getting SD's name, possibly on the other arm. 

I want to get my Dad's family crest on my shoulder blade (my brother has it on his calf) and something symbolic of my Mom's family on the other shoulder blade.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    Yes, I have a large butterfly and swirls one one my left hip for my mom and my next one is going to be a crumbling clock with a daisy across it  that my art teacher friend is drawing b/c The Great Gatsby is my all-time favorite book. It's my husband's gift to me for our 4-year anniversary b/c 4 years is flowers or candy. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I have none but saw an article earlier today about a "mom" taking 3 kids under 13 and having them tattooed! She was drunk and the tattoo artist was her bf's sex offender brother so ya know good stuff all around.
  • I have 1 tattoo so far and its script on my left shoulder blade. I've always wanted tattoos and I'm working on my next one (hopefully i can get it done next month). My dad was like "you don't need them" and he has tattoos so it kinda didn't phase me when he said anything lol. My mom on the other had has several and she actually took me to get my tattoo when we were visiting in Colorado and we got matching ones. My grandparents (both sets) have no idea i have them and they would be the ones to give me the most grief about it. My next tattoo is going to be on my thigh so generally it will be hidden unless its summer and im wearing a bikini lol
  • I have 4. The first one I got was a tree on my ribcage. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to take the pain for the tattoos I wanted so in my twisted head I decided the best thing to do would be to go get one in one of the more painful spots. I survived and now I'm hooked. I go every year on good friday since I get the day off work but the tattoo place I go to is open. It gives me an extra day to heal and to not have to wear work clothes and keeps me from spending too much money on tattoos. My second one is of my last 2 hamsters footprints on my foot, my third one is the one ring inscription around my thigh like a garter, and my fourth one (that I got almost a week ago) is of a dragon which has birds flying out of it's wings. There's a picture of it in WWs on the Monday thread I think. My tree has birds flying from it too so they kind of match and are in the same style. 

My parents hate that I got tattoos and keep saying I'm ruining my body and my aunt just keeps telling me about how bad they will look when I'm wrinkled. My response is always that wrinkles don't look good anyways. DH doesn't have any tattoos. He almost got one with me this year but decided he wanted to spend the money on something else which is fine with me, he doesn't need to get them if he doesn't want them. He's super supportive of me and always goes with me to appointments to hold my hand and he tells me he loves them on me and well besides my opinion, his is the only other one I really care about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Now I want to see everyone's pics...especially @InLoveInQueens since it's super secret!

I have 3:  the obligatory, basic, I just turned 18 tattoo on my ankle of a heart with vines; the big dipper between my shoulder blades, and last summer I got the sign for 'I love you' on my right wrist, photo below.

This summer I'd like to get "Most ardently" tattooed on my left forearm, just under my elbow crease, but in FI's handwriting.  I have a somewhat conservative job so it's important that all of my tats are hideable, so I'd love a bigger piece, but need to work on my midsection first!

tat.jpg 26.7K
  • 1. tramp stamp of my name with a tiger lily on each side

2. rib cage/ right next to the boob- 3 small hearts, each has an initial inside. One for my dad, mom, brother.

3. palm tree with sunset- inner ankle and the sun is my ankle bone

4. right calf- my cat, straight up portrait of her

5-6. left arm- half sleeve, outer is an octopus/ treasure box/ ocean theme, inner is vintage map of the world

7. right bicep- I have my area code. It's rather embarrassing and I don't like it anymore. I had an appointment to get it covered with a whole black lace piece but then I got pregnant and had to cancel the appointment. My guy books up for a year in advance so it pained me to cancel. When I'm done being pregnant & breastfeeding I'll reschedule it which actually works out because now I'll work my son's name in somehow.

• I have two, one large and one small. The large one is cherry blossoms on the front of my shoulder (like in between collarbone and shoulder) and the small one is on the front of my ankle and is a ring made up of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. (Yes, after the song, and my cats' names are Simon and Garfunkel! Haha.)

I want at least two more. I'd like a seahorse on one of my feet and a shamrock of some sort somewhere. And I think I would like even more than that, but those are the only two specific ideas I have right now.

New tattoo time is SOOOO exciting! I keep wanting to type "I can't wait" which sounds stupid cause it's not even me, it's you! lol. So just know I'm excited for you. ;) 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have a peace sign on my hip with the words sempre famiglia over it. It means Always family in Italian. One of my sisters and a couple of my cousins have it to. I like that we have it together. 
  • I have like 16. My favorites are probably my HP tattoos on my fingers. I have his glasses and lightening bolt one finger, and "all was well" on the other.

• I have 9. I want many many many more.

• I have two; one on my left hip I got the day I turned 18. Then script on my ribs that means a lot to me. I'm waiting until I publish my next paper and I'm having the equations from the first model I wrote and solved on my own on my left biceps. 

My Mom hates my tattoos, although she's getting more tolerant. H has a quarter sleeve so she keeps quiet about them. My Dad has never acknowledged them. 
  • @avocuddle, Every time I see your username I think, "Man, I love avocados."  Now that I clicked on your avatar pic to see the avocado tats (cute!), I'm just going to associate you with avocados even more, lol :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Now I want to see everyone's pics...especially @InLoveInQueens since it's super secret!

I have 3:  the obligatory, basic, I just turned 18 tattoo on my ankle of a heart with vines; the big dipper between my shoulder blades, and last summer I got the sign for 'I love you' on my right wrist, photo below.

This summer I'd like to get "Most ardently" tattooed on my left forearm, just under my elbow crease, but in FI's handwriting.  I have a somewhat conservative job so it's important that all of my tats are hideable, so I'd love a bigger piece, but need to work on my midsection first!

If it wasn't just terribly done I'd share no problem. Lemme see if I can find a picture of it from back when it was fresh and not as blown out, I'll PM you if I find one. :)

Loving all the tattoos posted, either described or in pictures! You guy have some seriously awesome art and I'm even more excited for my next one tomorrow !!
  • I have one. It was the most painful experience of my life and I will probably never do it again. I have a low pain tolerance and am somewhat of a sally.

H has a lot. Not sure I can count. Both arms are like collages of random shit. He likes them. I like the look of a tattooed man, but I'm not crazy about most of H's. They're mostly bugs. But I don't care, they're not mine.  

He does have my name (nickname) tattooed on his left ring finger and a penguin tattoo for me because I love penguins. Those were his idea - he has tattoos for other important people in his life and wanted one for me.         

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2016

My parents hate that I got tattoos and keep saying I'm ruining my body and my aunt just keeps telling me about how bad they will look when I'm wrinkled. My response is always that wrinkles don't look good anyways.
    Yeah, that has always puzzled me.  No one looks at some wrinkly old woman and says "She'd be smokin' hot if not for that wrinkled angel tattoo on her shoulder."

I don't have any tattoos (I have a huge thing about needles), but I did get my navel pierced when I was in college.  (That was enough needle contact to last me a good, long time.)  My mother was beside herself for whatever reason.  She said all the things about how it would look when I was older/after I had kids, and trust me, I'm glad I did it when my innie was little and cute.  After two kids (including a nine pounder), no one but DH is seeing my saggy, deflated-looking belly button anyway.  I'm glad I did it when I had the chance.

My brother just got a big tattoo across his left (?) shoulder, and it looks great.  But at the age of 35, he is still hiding it from Mom, LOL.

• I have a shamrock on my lower back and that's it.  

I like what I have but not enough to really push for another one.  And I'm married to someone who doesn't love them so for me I'll probably stick with the one I have. 
  • I meant to add to my post - I have syncope (I pass out) and anxiety. Those, plus my low pain tolerance make it really difficult for me. A few weeks ago I met H at the tattoo place when he was getting one. Just being in the shop and hearing all the buzzing needles made me feel slightly off.

A part of me wants to get my tattoo covered up but I'm afraid it would have to be huge. So I'll probably just get over it.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • ChelleJayneChelleJayne member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2016

I have 4. Stars on my right calf going to my foot, a star on my left hip (first tattoo, really shitty), a mermaid on my left thigh and a tattoo for my dad on my left forearm. The one on my forearm says "Saudade", it means "the love that remains, and an outline of a dove.

I'm looking at getting an underbust tattoo, just not sure what yet. Also after the wedding, I'm starting my half sleeve. Its going to be 3 hotrods and the flowers that I'm using the wedding.

ETA: I forgot to mention my half sleeve.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @avocuddle, Every time I see your username I think, "Man, I love avocados."  Now that I clicked on your avatar pic to see the avocado tats (cute!), I'm just going to associate you with avocados even more, lol :).
    Haha, DH and I are quite the avocado connoisseurs. Our relationship is founded on a mutual love of good guacamole. Our first date definitely involved takeout burritos. :wink: 
  • avocuddle said:
    I have 8 tattoos with plans for more, and DH is also heavily tattooed! When I got my first tattoo, my mom was all... "Think of when you get married in the future! Are you really going to want people looking at THAT?!" Flash forward... my parents are getting more tolerant and I got my 8th tattoo the week before my wedding, to honor my grandfather's passing (see below... my grandfather fishing in his canoe). It looked beautiful with my dress and I'm so happy I have it. I'd say that and my avocado are my two favorites. (DH and I have matching avocado tattoos that can be seen in my avatar picture.) :blush: 

LOVE this! Very similar in style to the next tattoo I plan to get.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have always said I wanted one but never could decide what I wanted. I obviously can't get one now that I'm pregnant but maybe later.

DH has two. One is a design with Cherokee on a scroll on his bicep that says "Shoulder the Burden." FWIW, DH is over 50% Native American (Lumbee and Cherokee).

The second is on the inside of the same bicep and says "You got to be tough when you're stupid" and his dad's signature. It was his dad's favorite thing to say so him and his sister surprised him at Christmas. They also got the number 13 1/2 under it because FIL was in prison and that was one of his prison tattoos. It means "12 jurors, 1 judge, and a half ass chance." It is especially sentimental because his dad ended up passing away just a month after they got their tattoos.

He is currently starting on his half sleeve that he's been wanting forever. He went to his artist a couple of weeks ago and he is drawing it up and they are meeting soon to see how DH likes it. He is doing a mural of the Betsy Ross Flag, Constitution, Gadsden Flag, and a couple of other things.

• I have one, it is inside my bottom lip. I've been thinking of getting another for a while now, but FI doesn't know a good artist in our new area and all the ones I have thought of would require someone who is great at lines or it would look like crap.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards