Chit Chat

My whole life/marriage is a lie

Re: My whole life/marriage is a lie

• TNDancer said:
    I accidently bought uncooked tortillas at the store the other day. Have y'all had them? You just put them in the pan for like a minute an it is awesome!
    Yes! They are WAY better than normal tortillas!
    Costco sells them in mega packs in the freezer section. So good. 

• If it makes you feel any better, my husband had never had s'mores until this past year.
  • So growing up we had not one tortilla enter our house!  My mom didn't even buy Doritos!  I probably never had a bite of Mexican food until my 20s.  Also, H won't eat it because "It's spicy", even though I've told him a thousand times its not always spicy.  He will take me to my favorite Mexican place and get a beef quesadilla with just the meat and cheese.  I've tried to persuade him to at least get the tacos, but he won't.

We do eat breakfast burritos on the regular at home, but that doesn't count. 

• Y'all need to come to Texas so I can enlighten you.
  • I occasionally stumble across something similar with DH (though I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment).  I attribute it to him not growing up in North America, so he gets a bit of a pass from me.  But still, it usually gets put on the list of things to try

• So growing up we had not one tortilla enter our house!  My mom didn't even buy Doritos!  I probably never had a bite of Mexican food until my 20s.  Also, H won't eat it because "It's spicy", even though I've told him a thousand times its not always spicy.  He will take me to my favorite Mexican place and get a beef quesadilla with just the meat and cheese.  I've tried to persuade him to at least get the tacos, but he won't.

We do eat breakfast burritos on the regular at home, but that doesn't count. 

This is tragic and makes my heart sad.  I will eat all of the Mexican food, all day long.  

• levioosa said:
    Oh man. I just heard a comedian do a whole bit about Mexican food. "What's a taco?" -- "Meat, beans, and cheese." "What's a burrito?" "Meat, beans, and cheese."  "What's a fajita?" "Meat, beans, and cheese."

But oh yeah, my life changed after having corn shells over flour shells. 
    That's Jim Gaffigan.  The sketch cracks me up.  "I worked at a Mexican restaurant in Indiana....because that's where you want to go for Mexican food..."  
    I love Jim Gaffigan. And being from Indiana I can vouch that this is definitely NOT the place you want to go for Mexican food. Or Chinese food. Or really anything that isn't corn.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @drglitter El Jaripeo in Indy is my. favorite. place. ever for Mexican. I have cousins there and we go every time I go down there. Last year we were driving through Indy and snuck in to El Jaripeo without telling my cousins.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I know how you feel... my husband has never tried coffee! Not even a sip.  Nothing coffee flavored... nothing.  It's sad.

• It's on Washington, east of the actual "city". Near Cumberland but Indy zip code.

Apparently the owners have several restaurants. We were worried they were going to close a few years ago when they had some legal tax issue thing. I've only ever been to El Jaripeo.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • drglitterdrglitter member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    If it makes you feel any better, my husband had never had s'mores until this past year.

****Stuck in the box

I've never had a s'more either. Luckily among the mountains of crap I cleaned out of FH's kitchen the other day was a s'more set so I think that'll be rectified soon.

Although a s'more set seems kind of overkill for something you can do with a fire and a pointy stick.

ETF a typo
  • drglitter said:
    If it makes you feel any better, my husband had never had s'mores until this past year.

****Stuck in the box

I've never had a s'more either. Luckily amount the mountains of crap I cleaned out of FH's kitchen the other day was a s'more set so I think that'll be rectified soon.

Although a s'more set seems kind of overkill for something you can do with a fire and a pointy stick.
    Yeah, a s'mores set is probably a bit unnecessary.  I make them at home by just sticking a marshmallow on a fork and holding it over the burner on the stove (works with gas or electric).

• If it makes you feel any better, my husband had never had s'mores until this past year.
    Do you want s'more?
    S'more what?
    Do you want a s'more.
    How can I have some more of anything if I haven't had anything yet?
    YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!

• Damn that SCARED me!!! Haha.

*wags finger* 

As far as the issue at hand... that is unbelievable. What else could be better than meat, cheese, veggies, and sour cream wrapped up in a soft chewy tortilla???? I'd tell you to get him to a Chipotle stat, but I'm leery of them so maybe try a Moe's or a local place. 

Give him like the best night of sex he's ever had or dreamed of and then tell him he'll never get it again until he eats a burrito :P 
  • @ShesSoCold, I'm not sure where you are in Chicago, but if you want to try some REALLY good Mexican food, L'Patron (2815 W Diversey Ave). And they do the little cebollitas (grilled onions).  WOW!

• @ShesSoCold, I'm not sure where you are in Chicago, but if you want to try some REALLY good Mexican food, L'Patron (2815 W Diversey Ave). And they do the little cebollitas (grilled onions).  WOW!
    Or anywhere on Clark Street in Rogers Park.  We recently (as in three years ago) discovered the wonders of Tortas.  We'd go to Mexican food places and wonder why we wanted a sandwich at a Mexican place when we could have burritos or tacos or enchiladas.  Then we had one.  Holy hell!  Get one with a pork product, pineapple, and avocado and whatever else they put in their standard Torta.  That sucker will change your life.  (Our favorite is Rocky's Tacos, all their tortas are named after futbolerias.  Then run across the street and pick up tamales from the little old ladies for your freezer at home.  Steam them when you want a quick night of no cooking.)
  • drglitter said:

****Stuck in the box

I've never had a s'more either. Luckily amount the mountains of crap I cleaned out of FH's kitchen the other day was a s'more set so I think that'll be rectified soon.

Yeah, a s'mores set is probably a bit unnecessary.  I make them at home by just sticking a marshmallow on a fork and holding it over the burner on the stove (works with gas or electric).
    I do this too! And I highly recommend s'mores for anyone who has never had one. Though how you make it to adulthood without a s'more, I will never know.

I know how you feel... my husband has never tried coffee! Not even a sip.  Nothing coffee flavored... nothing.  It's sad.
    WHY?!? Does he think he won't like it?

Which reminds me - one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say they don't like something they never tried, or refuse to try something because they think they won't like it. Not saying that's what's happening here, but in general it's really annoying.
    That's it, I need a childhood re-do.
  • @CharmedPam I'm in the way western suburbs (like, route 47 - that far west) and I rarely go downtown for anything other than games. We have a few places we like around here. The Pepe's chain isn't bad.

@adk19 tortas are DELIGHTFUL. And I love me some pastor. My friend makes homemade and it's GREAT.

• ha! I get it.  I'm 25 minutes West of the city, no traffic, and I don't go as often as I like.  my friend went on yelp 2 years ago, picked the most popular place for Mexican food, texted me and said "I'm on the hunt for the best Mexican Food, want to come with me?".  And that's how we found that place!  A trip just for L'Patron.

We have a lot of time on our hands.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Phew, you scared me SSC!

Clearly, your DH was meant to marry you. It's all been leading up to this pivotal moment. YOU WILL CHANGE HIS LIFE!
  • This is just like the time I found out BF had never seen Footloose.  How did he go 36 years without fully understanding the power of Kevin Bacon? HOW??!!!
    I only watched it for the first time last year! That's 34 years. And FH has made it 37 years and won't let me initiate him lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I know how you feel... my husband has never tried coffee! Not even a sip.  Nothing coffee flavored... nothing.  It's sad.

Which reminds me - one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say they don't like something they never tried, or refuse to try something because they think they won't like it. Not saying that's what's happening here, but in general it's really annoying.
    He says it because people become addicted to it and NEED their morning cup of coffee, so he doesn't want to chance it.  Kind of like, I know heroin addicts say heroin is awesome, but I still won't try heroin because I don't want to become a strung out junkie that is dependent on it.  I get his logic, but, he has to have a can of coca-cola with his breakfast each morning, so I think his excuse it a bit hypocritical.  But, whatever...
    Ok, I respected his argument until I got to the bolded. So, instead of ingesting JUST caffeine, he is also ingesting this much sugar:

BabyFruit Ticker
    Do you want s'more?
    S'more what?
    Do you want a s'more.
    How can I have some more of anything if I haven't had anything yet?
    YOU'RE KILLING ME SMALLS!
    FOR
    EV 
    ER
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

I know how you feel... my husband has never tried coffee! Not even a sip.  Nothing coffee flavored... nothing.  It's sad.

He says it because people become addicted to it and NEED their morning cup of coffee, so he doesn't want to chance it.  Kind of like, I know heroin addicts say heroin is awesome, but I still won't try heroin because I don't want to become a strung out junkie that is dependent on it.  I get his logic, but, he has to have a can of coca-cola with his breakfast each morning, so I think his excuse it a bit hypocritical.  But, whatever...
    Coke for breakfast?!?!? Also sounds like an addiction to me ;). I'll take the coffee (or in my case, tea) addiction over coke.

I have a friend who was addicted to coke- she would drink 2 cans a day, every day. She finally gave it up, but it was a challenge.

Ok, I respected his argument until I got to the bolded. So, instead of ingesting JUST caffeine, he is also ingesting this much sugar:

Welcome to my life.  I've tried explaining that viewpoint to him.  His response is that he's "already addicted to coke, so why add a coffee addiction on top of it?" Guy logic is confusing sometimes.

• SP29 said:

Coke for breakfast?!?!? Also sounds like an addiction to me ;). I'll take the coffee (or in my case, tea) addiction over coke.

I have a friend who was addicted to coke- she would drink 2 cans a day, every day. She finally gave it up, but it was a challenge.
    He's totally addicted to drinking coke.  He downs at least 3 cans a day.  I see him drink 1 can at breakfast and 2 cans with dinner on a daily basis. I think he mostly drinks water all day at work, though, so I think I think those 3 or so cans is usually it, but that still seems like a lot.  I gave up drinking all soda 100% a few years ago, so his consumption to be a bit disturbing to me.  Anytime I bring it up, he claims that he's not gaining any weight and doctor says he's healthy, so he doesn't see it as a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards