Chit Chat

My whole life/marriage is a lie

Re: My whole life/marriage is a lie

• SP29 said:

I know how you feel... my husband has never tried coffee! Not even a sip.  Nothing coffee flavored... nothing.  It's sad.
    WHY?!? Does he think he won't like it?

Which reminds me - one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say they don't like something they never tried, or refuse to try something because they think they won't like it. Not saying that's what's happening here, but in general it's really annoying.
    He says it because people become addicted to it and NEED their morning cup of coffee, so he doesn't want to chance it.  Kind of like, I know heroin addicts say heroin is awesome, but I still won't try heroin because I don't want to become a strung out junkie that is dependent on it.  I get his logic, but, he has to have a can of coca-cola with his breakfast each morning, so I think his excuse it a bit hypocritical.  But, whatever...
    Coke for breakfast?!?!? Also sounds like an addiction to me ;). I'll take the coffee (or in my case, tea) addiction over coke.

I have a friend who was addicted to coke- she would drink 2 cans a day, every day. She finally gave it up, but it was a challenge.
    He's totally addicted to drinking coke.  He downs at least 3 cans a day.  I see him drink 1 can at breakfast and 2 cans with dinner on a daily basis. I think he mostly drinks water all day at work, though, so I think I think those 3 or so cans is usually it, but that still seems like a lot.  I gave up drinking all soda 100% a few years ago, so his consumption to be a bit disturbing to me.  Anytime I bring it up, he claims that he's not gaining any weight and doctor says he's healthy, so he doesn't see it as a problem.
    How are his teeth not rotted out?! In a reverse Bingo, I feel sorry for you for having to deal with a Coke addict husband ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This is just like the time I found out BF had never seen Footloose.  How did he go 36 years without fully understanding the power of Kevin Bacon? HOW??!!!
    I hadn't seen "The Big Lebowski" till I met FW. It's now one of my favorite films. She also got me hooked on "Doctor Who" and "Supernatural." 

Back to food: Years ago, I worked with a guy who said he had never eaten a PB&J. How does one make it to adulthood without that, unless they're allergic to peanuts?
  • drglitter said:
    If it makes you feel any better, my husband had never had s'mores until this past year.

****Stuck in the box

I've never had a s'more either. Luckily amount the mountains of crap I cleaned out of FH's kitchen the other day was a s'more set so I think that'll be rectified soon.

Although a s'more set seems kind of overkill for something you can do with a fire and a pointy stick.
    Yeah, a s'mores set is probably a bit unnecessary.  I make them at home by just sticking a marshmallow on a fork and holding it over the burner on the stove (works with gas or electric).
    Try making them with Peeps. Yum.
  • This is just like the time I found out BF had never seen Footloose.  How did he go 36 years without fully understanding the power of Kevin Bacon? HOW??!!!
    I hadn't seen "The Big Lebowski" till I met FW. It's now one of my favorite films. She also got me hooked on "Doctor Who" and "Supernatural." 

Back to food: Years ago, I worked with a guy who said he had never eaten a PB&J. How does one make it to adulthood without that, unless they're allergic to peanuts?
    I sat BF down early in our relationship and explained that we were intending to be in it for the long term, he would need to watch Doctor Who. 

We got hooked on Supernatural together  (a single man tear) 

He looks like the Dude from the Big Lebowski, even has the bathrobe 

• @ourwildkingdom Back to food: Years ago, I worked with a guy who said he had never eaten a PB&J. How does one make it to adulthood without that, unless they're allergic to peanuts? (C&P since I can't quote) Very, very easily if you are not from the US. 31yrs of not eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches right here! And I plan to continue that lucky streak.

• @ourwildkingdom Back to food: Years ago, I worked with a guy who said he had never eaten a PB&J. How does one make it to adulthood without that, unless they're allergic to peanuts? (C&P since I can't quote) Very, very easily if you are not from the US. 31yrs of not eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches right here! And I plan to continue that lucky streak.
    Okay, now I have to jump in!  PB&Js are amazing! It's all about the right proportion of jelly to peanut butter. You're missing out!
  • The freaking quote button won't work. I am knotting from work and we have to use IE. Screws the knot up royally. @ShesSoCold I also eat string cheese like a heathen and have not seen footloose. I grew up with corn tortillas out of a taco kit, didn't know there were real corn tortillas or flour tortillas. When I was dating DH he brought his very young daughters to my house for tacos. He looked at the shells from the taco kit and legitimately asked me what those were. I said "taco shells", he said, "no they aren't." I said "yes they are!" he then proceeded to tell me about his mom frying up corn tortillas for tacos and that he had truly never seen what I had on my counter. He did NOT like those at all. His mom would fry up 60-70 shells on taco night. She had 6 kids in under 7 years and 5 of them were boys. They could throw down some tacos. DH is now the tortilla fryer.
  • @glasgowtolondon (can't quote either), I had no idea PB&J was just a U.S. thing!  That was the standard kid lunch when I was growing up, although I think it has fallen out of favor in recent years because of allergies.

Ironically, it was one of my least favorite lunches when I was little.  But now as an adult, I love the occasional PB&J sandwich.

I've heard biscuits, although SUPER common in the U.S., are really only eaten here.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh Lord, SSC, I was worried. I love burritos way too much. I would be just as shocked.

• @glasgowtolondon (can't quote either), I had no idea PB&J was just a U.S. thing!  That was the standard kid lunch when I was growing up, although I think it has fallen out of favor in recent years because of allergies.

Ironically, it was one of my least favorite lunches when I was little.  But now as an adult, I love the occasional PB&J sandwich.

I've heard biscuits, although SUPER common in the U.S., are really only eaten here.

My boss is from the UK and she hates peanut butter and said that very few people over there buy it at all, let alone eat in on a regular basis. Which saddens me.

Tangent: British Cadbury Creme Eggs are far superior to the American ones. She brought some back from England last year and we did a side-by-side comparison (highly scientific, complete with a photo slideshow). The chocolate is smoother, and the creamy middle is somehow less sweet (probably because of the lack of corn syrup).
    BabyFruit Ticker

Biscuits are something different in the UK. They are sweets that you have with a cup of tea. I'm not sure what your biscuits are though. 

@kimmiinthemitten I'll have to take your word for it. I don't really like jam so unfortunately we'll never know!

My boss is from the UK and she hates peanut butter and said that very few people over there buy it at all, let alone eat in on a regular basis. Which saddens me.

Tangent: British Cadbury Creme Eggs are far superior to the American ones. She brought some back from England last year and we did a side-by-side comparison (highly scientific, complete with a photo slideshow). The chocolate is smoother, and the creamy middle is somehow less sweet (probably because of the lack of corn syrup).
    I have never had a US creme egg but I can confirm that the UK ones are indeed manna from the gods. I bite the top off and scoop the filling out with my tongue (cos I'm a ho like that), and it's beautiful. 

@sparklepants41 I'm sorry I have let you down. *hangs head*
    It's okay. I'll be fine. But I think I am going to need to take the rest of today off.
  • @kimmiinthemitten great, I'm going to be singing that song all day now!

• Y'all seriously have me craving a PB&J and gravy biscuits right now. That may have to be supper tonight.

• It's okay @glasgowtolondon, I don't like gravy (except from one breakfast place) and since I moved to the south you would think I was telling people I murder puppies for fun.
  • It's okay @glasgowtolondon, I don't like gravy (except from one breakfast place) and since I moved to the south you would think I was telling people I murder puppies for fun.
    I have never even eaten gravy (as in the kind that goes on biscuits), and I've lived in TN my whole life. Just can't get past the way it looks.

Creme eggs don't use traditional Cadburys chocolate now they taste awful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I'm pretty sure all Cadbury cream eggs, anywhere, using any chocolate are gross.

I don't enjoy sweetened jizz inside a chocolate shell.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    I have never even eaten gravy (as in the kind that goes on biscuits), and I've lived in TN my whole life. Just can't get past the way it looks.
    I can try biscuits and gravy but I normally don't like it. On mashed potatoes or anything else is an absolute no go. Yuck.

Biscuits are something different in the UK. They are sweets that you have with a cup of tea. I'm not sure what your biscuits are though. 

@kimmiinthemitten I'll have to take your word for it. I don't really like jam so unfortunately we'll never know!
    An American biscuit is basically a scone that is not sweet:

H's favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy, which are the biscuits above smothered in a sausage cream gravy. I told this to my British boss, and she was horrified.
    English biscuits! Sorry haven't worked out adding photos properly X 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

DH's sister has lived in NC her whole life too and hasn't eaten gravy for the same reason.

• @missJeanLouise and @thefanciestbeckler, you all are ladies after my own heart.  I moved to the South about 15 years ago.

I don't like biscuits at all in any form, much less with gravy.  I just find biscuits too dense and bready to be enjoyable.  I don't like BBQ sauce, especially sweet BBQ sauce.  I don't like sweet tea...I had no idea what that even was until I moved here.  I can eat grits, but I don't care for them.

When I first moved to NOLA, I told my first b/f here (who was born and raised here) that grits weren't too bad if I mixed in brown sugar.  He literally rolled his eyes at me and said, "You mean like Cream of Wheat?"  Me, "Yes!  Exactly!  Except Cream of Wheat tastes better."  To borrow @missJeanLouise 's phrase, he looked at me like I was a puppy murderer. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @drglitter El Jaripeo in Indy is my. favorite. place. ever for Mexican. I have cousins there and we go every time I go down there. Last year we were driving through Indy and snuck in to El Jaripeo without telling my cousins.

I've been there. It's good. But I still prefer my go-to places in Chicago.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I need to get downtown more to eat. There's so much good food down there and I never go.

I'm actually meeting a former/occasional knottie downtown next weekend! I'm excited to try FlatTop Grill.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

I can't blame them, I loathed British peanut butter.  It was gritty and sweet.  I imported Skippy the year I lived in London.

• Oh my god take him to a real Mexican joint yesterday
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards