Connecticut

Question regarding engagement photos?

Hi, so using the Knot we went with a photographer that was highly recommended on the website. However, we were hoping the photographer would be affordable we were offered a free engagement photo session. After receiving the photos have to pay $50 to download one photo. Wondering is this normal? Also is this price too high?

Now were concerned going to have to pay for our wedding photos. If at this rate will be an additional $2000 to $3000.

Appreciate the feedback.

Re: Question regarding engagement photos?

• check your contract.  Downloadable photos are included in our package so we don't have to pay per photo.  I don't think that is standard.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think that's standard. Almost every single photographer we met with said that when they take the pictures (engagement or wedding) we receive a disk or USB, etc with full rights to do whatever we wanted at no additional cost. 
  • We ran into that issue as well when looking at photographers, some had an additional fee of up to $800 for rights to all the digital files.
  • Check contract. I definitely have seen the issue with paying for digital files. We have the digitals included in our wedding side of the package, but were not for the engagement photos. She gave us some in a "Lookbook" and we purchased some prints. However the ones that really matter for us is the wedding and those are the ones we will have full rights to.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That sucks! Even if it IS in the contact, the photog should have clearly mentioned it up front. 
  • Bron1217 said:
    That sucks! Even if it IS in the contact, the photog should have clearly mentioned it up front. 
    I don't think you're going to find a lot of people who go out of their way to itemize surcharges in advance.   It's not really in their financial interest to say, "Look how inexpensive I am except for all the fine print!"

Unfortunately with weddings and other major life events,  you need to do your best to be an educated consumer.   That may mean that you need to make sure you negotiate all the things in writing and make sure you get what you want locked down.

Ex: I had family photos taken.   Part of my package allowed the downloading of 10 pictures.   Additional downloads were additional money.   Once I downloaded the shots they were mine but it was noted in the contract what I received.

If it's not in the contract and the photographer is still charging that kind of money that's tricky.   But my guess is that "Photographer retains all rights" is probably somewhere in the body of the contract if that's the case.

• nah sorry - it's a dirty trick to me. You can't expect to have happy clients if you don't disclose those $50 per picture surprises.
  • Bron1217 said:
    nah sorry - it's a dirty trick to me. You can't expect to have happy clients if you don't disclose those $50 per picture surprises.
    I agree it's a bit of trickery.   But it's called reading the fine print in a contract.

The tough part with planning a wedding and booking vendors is that they know they may not be getting repeat business from a client.

I highly recommend the book Bridal Bargains.   It helps walk you through how to negotiate these purchases and contracts.   Basically, if you don't get it in writing, don't expect it either.   I agree it's not nice, but plenty of businesses aren't nice - which is why you document everything to cover yourself. 
  • omg I will die.  :'( I am so sorry you have to pay extra. 
    I am getting all my engagement and wedding photos from my photographer. This is something she explained to me and even showed me at the consultation. 
    Did you talk to your photographer? what he/she said. If he/she never mention this when you guys meet. 
    Good luck and keep us posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards