Favors

Handkerchief Favor Ideas

Hi all! 

My fiance and I hosting a large reception after our destination wedding this summer. Our favors for the reception are embroidered floral hankies. My planner suggested doing a few different designs on the hankies themselves. Any ideas of what we could have embroidered on them?!

Thanks for your help!

Re: Handkerchief Favor Ideas

• Depends on your wedding colors, but I would definitely choose a floral that would appeal to men as well as women. Maybe a fleur-de-lis or something tropical?
  • If you're set on this as a favor, I'd agree with @OurWildKingdom, try to get something with universal appeal. Definitely don't put your names or wedding date on it -- not only would it seem weird that people might be blowing their noses into your wedding date, but also, guests in general are less likely to use something that seems to be advertising your wedding, and are thus less "gifts" and more props. 

I would note, just in case you haven't settled on this yet, that since hankies may not have great universal appeal, some guests may not really care and remember to take them home, and you will be spending some extra money on a gift for your guests that may be underutilized/ appreciated. A general piece of advice is to try to give something edible. It's a satisfying and welcomed gift for most guests of all ages and genders. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Ummm...how many people do you know who actually use handkerchiefs? I don't know any. Zero. I mean, I don't know every single thing about my friends and family, but I'd be surprised if more than one or two people I know under 80 carry one.

This favor sounds like a huge waste of time and money. A favor is supposed to be a small gift for your guests, not something useless and cutesy that's only purpose is to look cute in one décor picture.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • If this is a gift for each man & women (as this isn't a gift that can or most people would want to share) go for a neutral item to be stitched on there & don't use your names or wedding date.

If there something edible that is unique to the area that you are getting married at. Like a jelly, nuts or like in New England maple syrup?  That is something your guests would enjoy and be something special because it would be native to that area.

• The only person I know that use a hankie is my Grandfather. I won't touch them due to hygiene issues. If you are set on the idea, don't personalize. Please consider something edible instead. 
  • There is more than one way to make use of a handkerchief.  On her wedding day, the grandmother of DD's husband included a beautiful lace handkerchief in a thank you note to me.  I use it as a doily under a lamp in my bedroom.  It reminds me daily of not only the wedding day, but of the lovely and heartfelt note that was written. 

I am not saying that a handkerchief is typical, but it can serve more than one purpose. 
  • I have to agree with ShesSoCold - I truly don't know anyone at all that uses hankies (except my 84 yo FIL and he blows his nose in his). I am 56 and have a couple of my grandmother's embroidered hankies. They are in a box in the basement because I am "supposed" to keep them, but what in the Hell am I going to do with them? My DDs don't want them either I was so glad that none of my girls chose hankies for a gift to me. I do not understand (at all) what the attraction is to them. My 70 yo sister has a couple used like doilies but she decorates far more "old" than I do. (MobKaz - not saying that about you! My sister just seems stuck in our mom/grandma's time period and her home is a lot of early American and doilies). OP - I really wonder if this is a good use of your resources. I just can't imagine anyone ever using a hanky and it would probably, at best, be shoved in a drawer somewhere.
  • I had an ex that would carry one around to blow his nose into. He was allergic to my dog so that happened pretty often, he learned the habit from his father who did the same. Now, every time I see a handkerchief I vomit a little. 
    Sure they can be used for other things, but this would be something I'd side eye at a wedding thinking how much was spent for something that is so specific instead of something that is more of a crowd pleaser. 
  • I have to agree with PPs.  The only people I see using handkerchiefs are either 90 year old men, or people hiking/biking.  And I'm pretty sure that you don't intend for your delicate handkerchief to be used as a snot, or dust collector.  

Edible favors are always a hit.  

• Sorry... If I were to attend your wedding, the favor would be left behind.  Or if I really felt obligated to take it, it would end up in the trash at my earliest convenience.

But, if you are really stuck on the idea, I would suggest doing something that isn't personal.  No monograms, no names, no dates. 

• kmmssg said:
    I have to agree with ShesSoCold - I truly don't know anyone at all that uses hankies (except my 84 yo FIL and he blows his nose in his). I am 56 and have a couple of my grandmother's embroidered hankies. They are in a box in the basement because I am "supposed" to keep them, but what in the Hell am I going to do with them? My DDs don't want them either I was so glad that none of my girls chose hankies for a gift to me. I do not understand (at all) what the attraction is to them. My 70 yo sister has a couple used like doilies but she decorates far more "old" than I do. (MobKaz - not saying that about you! My sister just seems stuck in our mom/grandma's time period and her home is a lot of early American and doilies). OP - I really wonder if this is a good use of your resources. I just can't imagine anyone ever using a hanky and it would probably, at best, be shoved in a drawer somewhere.
    No worries, @kmmssg!  It is not something I actively shop for, by any means.  However, I am second generation German.  EVERY one of my German relatives have gifted me lace doilies of varying shapes and sizes.  I do use a few here and there because of the memories attached to them. Some I use as bread basket liners.   I'm a tad sentimental in that respect.  But the house is not filled with them, nor is my furniture covered over in plastic, as was the norm for a few of them ;-p

My kitchen is freakishly modern/contemporary, actually.  I'm a bit of an eccentric in that regard.  No offense meant; none taken.
  • MobKaz said:
    No worries, @kmmssg!  It is not something I actively shop for, by any means.  However, I am second generation German.  EVERY one of my German relatives have gifted me lace doilies of varying shapes and sizes.  I do use a few here and there because of the memories attached to them. Some I use as bread basket liners.   I'm a tad sentimental in that respect.  But the house is not filled with them, nor is my furniture covered over in plastic, as was the norm for a few of them ;-p

My kitchen is freakishly modern/contemporary, actually.  I'm a bit of an eccentric in that regard.  No offense meant; none taken.
    What a great idea - I have never thought of that.
  • Nothing related to your wedding should be embroidered on them. 

Also, I went to a wedding that did this as a favor, I'd venture to say at least 40% of them were left on the floor at the end of the night, and another 30-40% left on the tables, including my own.  And I'm being generous - that may actually be an underestimate.  Of the 20 people I personally knew at this wedding, not one of them took one and eyeballing the tables there were a lot lying around at the end of the night.  This is definitely not something with universal appeal.  I think your money could be better spent elsewhere.

• @MobKaz - well, if Grandma's handkerchiefs are in decent shape maybe I will start using them in breadbaskets! That's a great idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards