Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

wedding ring on the right hand?

I saw previous posts on this...but they were from so many years ago that the discussion has been closed - so I'm bringing it back to see if there have been changes in thinking on this in recent years.

What is your take on wearing your wedding ring on the right hand (while leaving your engagement ring on the left) - or vice versa for that matter - just separating the two? While I have, so far, worn my wedding ring with my engagement ring on my left hand, I have to admit that I like the look of my engagement ring better alone (and my engagement ring doesn't sit comfortably on my right hand for some reason, but my wedding ring is okay). 

I'm curious on thoughts about this - if people think it's weird, etc - I'm not set on doing this, but open to the idea and wanted others opinions.

Thanks!

Re: wedding ring on the right hand?

• "I saw previous posts on this...but they were from so many years ago that the discussion has been closed - so I'm bringing it back to see if there have been changes in thinking on this in recent years.

What is your take on wearing your wedding ring on the right hand (while leaving your engagement ring on the left) - or vice versa for that matter - just separating the two? While I have, so far, worn my wedding ring with my engagement ring on my left hand, I have to admit that I like the look of my engagement ring better alone (and my engagement ring doesn't sit comfortably on my right hand for some reason, but my wedding ring is okay). 

I'm curious on thoughts about this - if people think it's weird, etc - I'm not set on doing this, but open to the idea and wanted others opinions.

Thanks! "

-----------------------------------------------------

Honestly, this is so personal. No one cares but you. My rings aren't a set and I wear my wedding band on my left ring finger and my engagement ring on my right. If anyone noticed, let alone thought it was weird, that would surprise me. Not a big deal.

This is kind of like asking whether or not it's weird if you wear bikini underwear as opposed to thongs after you get married. No one's concern but yours.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I think you should do whatever makes you happy and feels comfortable.

• -----------------------------------------------------

Honestly, this is so personal. No one cares but you. My rings aren't a set and I wear my wedding band on my left ring finger and my engagement ring on my right. If anyone noticed, let alone thought it was weird, that would surprise me. Not a big deal.

This is kind of like asking whether or not it's weird if you wear bikini underwear as opposed to thongs after you get married. No one's concern but yours.

SITB

Our rings aren't a set either, so I'm doing the same thing. Sometimes I switch hands now, for example at work if I'm typing more with one hand than the other.

• You can wear your rings however you want.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Wear the rings however you want.  Sure, it's "traditional" to have it on your left hand, but wearing it on your right hand is fine too.  Or wear it on a necklace around your neck.  Or not at all.  If anyone snarks on you for it, they have way too much time on their hands.  It's not affecting anyone but you.  I personally hate rings/jewelry on my right side.  Even though I'm not married yet, I wear rings on the left.  I always have.  I hate how they feel on my right side, and they get in the way.  I imagine if I was left handed, I'd wear any and all rings on my right.  

• JCocco219JCocco219 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    My engagement ring is a vintage antique ring that was my great great grandmothers and it sits flat on my finger.  If i were to wear my wedding band with it I would have had to get a custom made ring, which I did not want.  So I wear my engagement ring on my right hand and my diamond wedding band on my left hand.  It looks great and nobody has yet to tell me it is weird or not "right".  
    Moral of the story...do what works for you and you feel comfortable with :)
  • levioosa said:
    Wear the rings however you want.  Sure, it's "traditional" to have it on your left hand, but wearing it on your right hand is fine too.  Or wear it on a necklace around your neck.  Or not at all.  If anyone snarks on you for it, they have way too much time on their hands.  It's not affecting anyone but you.  I personally hate rings/jewelry on my right side.  Even though I'm not married yet, I wear rings on the left.  I always have.  I hate how they feel on my right side, and they get in the way.  I imagine if I was left handed, I'd wear any and all rings on my right.  
    And this depends where you are from. I have friends from Eastern Europe and Russia who wear their wedding rings on their right hands. It's traditional there to wear it on the right hand, I found this fascinating. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    levioosa said:
    Wear the rings however you want.  Sure, it's "traditional" to have it on your left hand, but wearing it on your right hand is fine too.  Or wear it on a necklace around your neck.  Or not at all.  If anyone snarks on you for it, they have way too much time on their hands.  It's not affecting anyone but you.  I personally hate rings/jewelry on my right side.  Even though I'm not married yet, I wear rings on the left.  I always have.  I hate how they feel on my right side, and they get in the way.  I imagine if I was left handed, I'd wear any and all rings on my right.  
    And this depends where you are from. I have friends from Eastern Europe and Russia who wear their wedding rings on their right hands. It's traditional there to wear it on the right hand, I found this fascinating. 
    I was going to say the same. It's traditional in North America (as well as other places) to wear your wedding band on the left hand, but in Eastern Europe, it is commonly worn on the right.

It is entirely up to you OP.

DH wears his band on the right hand, because he doesn't want it to get scratched by his iron ring (left handed engineer). I know people who wear their band on the right hand as they play a musical instrument, and the ring gets caught if worn on the left hand. Often people with large e-rings will wear their band on one hand and the e-ring on the other. I work at a hospital, and many people don't wear either of their wedding rings to work- ever.
  • My H is wearing his on his right hand due to his left arm being out of commission for awhile. He said no matter what happens with that arm he thinks he will keep it on the right hand. That's his dominant hand and he likes looking at it when he reaches for things. He also likes that when we hold hands the rings touch (I'm wearing mine on the left). 

I think traditional wedding bands are pretty distinctive, especially the wider bands that a lot of men wear. You see it and think "married." H's band doesn't look any less weddingy even though it's on the nontraditional (for N. America) hand.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My doctor doesn't have a left hand.  She was born without one.  She wears her wedding ring on her right hand, too.  No biggie.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • If I've missed this somewhere I'm sorry, but what's SITB?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    stuck in the box

• lnixon8 said:
    stuck in the box
    Thank you! 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards