Chit Chat

What are you reading these days?

2»

Re: What are you reading these days?

• Besides my medic program books, one book I've really enjoyed was The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki. It's a historical fiction on Benedict Arnold and his betrayal to America and his wife's role in it all. I have several books on my "to-read" list like All the Light We Cannot See, Go Set a Watchman and The Wolves of Andover. I also tend to prefer some YA books to adult books; a lot of times I find them to be much more interesting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm re-reading "All the President's Men," which is the behind the scenes look at the Washington Post's investigation into Watergate written by the two reporters who investigated it. It's pretty good, and especially fascinating for a journalist like me!
  • I love YA and dystopian setting books. I also love series. Getting to know and enjoy a character is something I appreciate in a book. Divergent series, Hunger Games series, The Selection series and whatever the series is by Amy Ewing.

Currently reading the new BLS (CPR), ACLS and PALS guidelines ... not exactly fun, but required for the job.

• TNDancer said:
    I'm currently reading American Psycho. To be honest it took me a bit to get in to the book because it was rather weird. But DUH, the main character is literally insane. I am loving it now and appreciate how great the author is at portraying the madness.

Bret Easton Ellis is brilliantly insane -- I love his writing and that his characters show up repeatedly in different works. Christian Bale in the movie version of Amer Psy is amazing if you haven't already seen it.  Jay McInerney is a friend of Bret and is often put in the same category -- I like almost all of his books.  Alison Poole, one of BEE's characters, is the  disillusioned cocaine and sex-addicted main character in JM's Story of My Life.
  • Besides my medic program books, one book I've really enjoyed was The Traitor's Wife by Allison Pataki. It's a historical fiction on Benedict Arnold and his betrayal to America and his wife's role in it all. I have several books on my "to-read" list like All the Light We Cannot See, Go Set a Watchman and The Wolves of Andover. I also tend to prefer some YA books to adult books; a lot of times I find them to be much more interesting.
    I loved All the Light We Cannot See. I want to read it again. 

• TNDancer said:
    I'm currently reading American Psycho. To be honest it took me a bit to get in to the book because it was rather weird. But DUH, the main character is literally insane. I am loving it now and appreciate how great the author is at portraying the madness.

Bret Easton Ellis is brilliantly insane -- I love his writing and that his characters show up repeatedly in different works. Christian Bale in the movie version of Amer Psy is amazing if you haven't already seen it.  Jay McInerney is a friend of Bret and is often put in the same category -- I like almost all of his books.  Alison Poole, one of BEE's characters, is the  disillusioned cocaine and sex-addicted main character in JM's Story of My Life.
    The movie was so good but so creepy. I had to watch a ROMCON after watching it, it affected me that bad. 
  • I love YA books! The Shadowhunters series is also a huge favorite of mine. Sort of weird since you spend about 4 books wondering if the main couple are related or not. But damn are they good books. The movie tanked (LOVED it) and now there is a series on ABC's Freeform, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

• I've been working my way through The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson. Am about halfway but it's really good. His style of writing makes me feel like I'm sat by a fire in a country pub with a pint of something, listening to a local spin a yarn.

• I'm also patiently awaiting the Cursed Child. Meanwhile, trudging through White Oleander. I've been putting it down and picking it back up for a few weeks. I work with DCF kids, so it's kind of too relatable and sad to read. But it's very good!

I recently finished Room (so good!), and a somewhat-cheesy thriller called Broken Grace. It was only a few bucks in the iBook store, so I gave it a shot. It was definitely a page turner, if you can get past the not-so-excellent writing and predictable plot.
  • I am now starting The Girl in the Spider's Web. I think they are considering separate from the original trilogy, but it is sucking me in very quickly with the same characters.
  • @AddieCake I'm about 40% through the book and it has me pulled in. I have to make myself stop after a couple of chapters before bed (I already stayed up all night reading one night this week and I can't call in sick again for getting no sleep haha). I have to say this is probably one of the more disturbing books I've read, but I just have so many questions I have trouble putting it down. It's definitely a book right up my alley so thank you for mentioning it.

Wow, there are a lot of adult YA readers. I actually mostly skipped the YA phase in books (except for a few like Harry Potter and The Hobbit) as my favorite authors in middle school were Jules Verne and Stephen King. However DH and I are planning to start TTC this summer and one of the things I'm looking most forward to is getting to read children's books to the baby. Some of my favorite memories with my dad are how much we read together when I was a young child so I really want to pass that on to my future children.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @AddieCake I'm about 40% through the book and it has me pulled in. I have to make myself stop after a couple of chapters before bed (I already stayed up all night reading one night this week and I can't call in sick again for getting no sleep haha). I have to say this is probably one of the more disturbing books I've read, but I just have so many questions I have trouble putting it down. It's definitely a book right up my alley so thank you for mentioning it.

Wow, there are a lot of adult YA readers. I actually mostly skipped the YA phase in books (except for a few like Harry Potter and The Hobbit) as my favorite authors in middle school were Jules Verne and Stephen King. However DH and I are planning to start TTC this summer and one of the things I'm looking most forward to is getting to read children's books to the baby. Some of my favorite memories with my dad are how much we read together when I was a young child so I really want to pass that on to my future children.
    Me too!!! My dad read to us SO. MUCH. as kids. The Hobbit, the Chronicles of Narnia, The Little Prince, A Wrinkle in Time, ALL of the Dr. Seuss (but my favorite is Oh! The Places You'll Go - when he got to the page about "the waiting place" he would take a deep breath and read the entire thing as fast as possible, without taking another breath). My favorite part of the ritual is right before he would start reading... He would take a breath as though he was about to start, and then stop and say "Are you ready?" We would all say "Yes!" and then he would pretend to start again, and then stop and say "Are you ready?" This would go on a few times, every night. 

Such good memories, and I attribute my love of reading to my dad!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am now starting The Girl in the Spider's Web. I think they are considering separate from the original trilogy, but it is sucking me in very quickly with the same characters.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I re-read the HP series back in the fall. Loved it even more.

Currently reading The Danish Girl. It's pretty good, a bit slow. Like I want more of Einar's internal thoughts.

I really enjoyed Water for Elephants (both the book and the movie).

I also like historical fiction.
  • @AddieCake I finished last night! Thank you again for recommending it, it was really good. The author had such a unique style and it totally kept me guessing!  I don't want to say too much in case I spoil it for anyone else reading it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm resurrecting this thread because of two things. The library got me two bestsellers at the same time so I've been reading like a fiend. 1) Finished Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty and thought it was excellent!  2) Finished Luckiest Girl Alive and.... want to discuss with anyone else who read it because I just don't get the ending. 

Ready? Spoiler alert!

I am puzzled by the ending. So her FI threw away her picture and lied about it. That was the reason she called off her wedding? That was the last straw for her? There was plenty of evidence she didn't love her FI like she should, but I'm just surprised finding the picture frame remains is what did her in. 
    And why wouldn't her FI want her talking about the fact that she was raped? If she lived all this time under a cloud of suspicion that she was involved in the planning of the shooting, is it because her rape would have been evidence used against her? Even as I type this, I'm guessing that's it, because having a motive for murder is pretty damning. But after 13-14 years, she feels safe bringing up her rape now? Why now, statute of limitations or something? Like, how is showing she is a victim now different from showing she was a victim, hence with a motive, back then? Or is it really to get back at Dean? And was the FI just that shallow that he'd figure no one would believe she got raped and thus she was really a skank who asked for it and was now marrying old money? The book did say he was worried about "the name."

Also, why didn't the book go into more depth about how she was off the hook for murder? As they interrogated her it sounded pretty damning; Dean saying she tried to grab the gun, her saying she had actually touched the gun before. Why wasn't she ultimately arrested? And am I weird for thinking that someone with that much of a supposed cloud of negativity around them maybe wouldn't have gotten into such a good college and gotten such a good job? Innocent until proven guilty and all, but I don't see her being so high profile in competitive environments with a negative background. If she was still deluged with hate mail, presumably any employer or college with Google skills would realize that they were dealing with a suspected murderer.  Even underage and not officially named, you can't say she got hate mail and that she was anonymous for being underage, that just doesn't jive to me. 

Yeah, super disappointed in the ending of that book. Thoughts? 

• I haven't read Luckiest Girl Alive so I can't help you there.

i just finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and I loved it so I'd recommend it if you liked Big Little Lies (which I'm about to start so I'm glad to hear you liked it.)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • For a dystopian series, I just picked up the Red Rising books. Haven't started it yet though. Figured I needed something a little less sad after my last few. Of course, then I picked up Steal Kiss, Jefferey Deaver's new book, which is a cop thriller. I've read most of his stuff, and generally enjoy them for an easy read.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards