Chit Chat

My whole life/marriage is a lie

Re: My whole life/marriage is a lie

• HE HAS NEVER EATEN A BURRITO??????????????

OMG I am shocked.  Shocked, I tell you!!!!!!!!!!
  • TNDancer said:
    I just found out my H eats string cheese like a heathen. You are SUPPOSED to peel it. That's part of the fun.  
    I recently discovered the Twitter account @Berniethoughts and one of the tweets is "I HAVE IT ON GOOD AUTHORITY THAT CLINTON DOESN'T PEEL HER STRING CHEESE—SHE JUST BITES THEM."

• edited April 2016

@missJeanLouise and @thefanciestbeckler, you all are ladies after my own heart.  I moved to the South about 15 years ago.

I don't like biscuits at all in any form, much less with gravy.  I just find biscuits too dense and bready to be enjoyable.  I don't like BBQ sauce, especially sweet BBQ sauce.  I don't like sweet tea...I had no idea what that even was until I moved here.  I can eat grits, but I don't care for them.

When I first moved to NOLA, I told my first b/f here (who was born and raised here) that grits weren't too bad if I mixed in brown sugar.  He literally rolled his eyes at me and said, "You mean like Cream of Wheat?"  Me, "Yes!  Exactly!  Except Cream of Wheat tastes better."  To borrow @missJeanLouise 's phrase, he looked at me like I was a puppy murderer. 

@short+sassy, a few months back, I made breakfast for dinner, including grits. FW, who was born and raised in the South, was *horrified* to see me put syrup on my grits.

Oh yes, and we regularly argue about the merits of beans in chili; she says no, I say yes.
  • ....and now I want burritos for dinner.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Good work SSC!

What's the next adventure for the SSC household?
  • That looks nice and cilantro-y.  How I like 'em!

• Well, I'll be getting Moes for lunch now. 
    Anniversary

• @missJeanLouise and @thefanciestbeckler, you all are ladies after my own heart.  I moved to the South about 15 years ago.

I don't like biscuits at all in any form, much less with gravy.  I just find biscuits too dense and bready to be enjoyable.  I don't like BBQ sauce, especially sweet BBQ sauce.  I don't like sweet tea...I had no idea what that even was until I moved here.  I can eat grits, but I don't care for them.

When I first moved to NOLA, I told my first b/f here (who was born and raised here) that grits weren't too bad if I mixed in brown sugar.  He literally rolled his eyes at me and said, "You mean like Cream of Wheat?"  Me, "Yes!  Exactly!  Except Cream of Wheat tastes better."  To borrow @missJeanLouise 's phrase, he looked at me like I was a puppy murderer. 

@short+sassy, a few months back, I made breakfast for dinner, including grits. FW, who was born and raised in the South, was *horrified* to see me put syrup on my grits.

Oh yes, and we regularly argue about the merits of beans in chili; she says no, I say yes.

Of course chili with beans.  Otherwise it is just a topping for a hot dog.
    As a Canadian, I do the stereotypical thing of syrup on ham, sausages, eggs {only scrambled}, etc
  • @missJeanLouise and @thefanciestbeckler, you all are ladies after my own heart.  I moved to the South about 15 years ago.

Of course chili with beans.  Otherwise it is just a topping for a hot dog.
    As a Canadian, I do the stereotypical thing of syrup on ham, sausages, eggs {only scrambled}, etc

Here in NOLA there are a few places that make "praline bacon".  Similar idea.  A mix of the very sweet with the very salty.  Delicious!

You'll also find French Fried Poboys here which sound similar to a poutine (sp?).  The French Fried Poboy is a sandwich with French bread as the bread and the ingredients are French fries, gravy, mayo, and cheese.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy I had to google 'po boy' Yes apparently similar by never sandwich {legit sacrilege here!} but not quite same. I think you'd like poutine though. Fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Best is layered so everything melts. *drool*
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited August 2016
    My life fell apart when this Chicago restaurant closed:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/badhappy-poutine-shop-chicago

The owner was from Quebec, but I guess it never took off. It's better than some Winnipeg poutine I have tried!  Apparently there's a poutine place near Wrigley, but not sure on reviews. 

• @CharmedPam  I must mail you some poutine to save you!
  • My life fell apart when this Chicago restaurant closed:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/badhappy-poutine-shop-chicago

The owner was from Quebec, but I guess it never took off. It's better than some Winnipeg poutine I have tried!  Apparently there's a poutine place near Wrigley, but not sure on reviews. 
    Not only did Bad Happy close, a shop in Wrigley opened and was also short-lived. I was shocked. Poutine is amazing, what the hell? A city that loves deep dish pizza can't get on board with cheese and gravy and fries?

Anyhow, lost the article but apparently someone is going to make another go at a poutine shop in Wrigley area. Maybe it's already open? 

• I would think, if you had any chance of (a poutine shop) surviving in Chicago, Wrigley would be it.  It's a huge tourist attraction, just recently a tourist attraction for actual baseball. lol.

• Everyone who seems to like 'po boys' and this restaurant just needs to come to Canada :) we can eat poutine and beavertails for dessert ;)
  • Everyone who seems to like 'po boys' and this restaurant just needs to come to Canada :) we can eat poutine and beavertails for dessert ;)
    What are beavertails (unless you're talking about actual tails from beavers)?

You can get alligator here...and the meat usually comes from the tail.  But not a dessert, lol.

Yes, please enlighten us @MissKittyDanger!  I almost googled it.  But I'm at work and was concerned about what might inadvertently come up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SP29 said:
    Everyone who seems to like 'po boys' and this restaurant just needs to come to Canada :) we can eat poutine and beavertails for dessert ;)

You can get alligator here...and the meat usually comes from the tail.  But not a dessert, lol.

Yes, please enlighten us @MissKittyDanger!  I almost googled it.  But I'm at work and was concerned about what might inadvertently come up.

Bahaha!

Beavertails are a deep fried dough, usually designed for dessert. The basic is to sprinkle cinnamon or icing sugar on them, but you can go crazy and get fruit, ice cream, chocolate sauce, etc. Very commonly found at festivals, carnivals and amusement parks.

Beavertails actually come from the Hungarian culture, where eaten for dessert include icing sugar or cinnamon, but you can also get them rubbed with olive oil and garlic.

Beavertails can also be called Elephant Ears (same product, different shape).

Oh, and they are the best.
    Basically yes :) Apparently Beavertails are better {as told by an American lol!}
    I usually get cinnamon and brown sugar, but my H gets the one that's basically garlic cheese bread ;)
  • Thank you, I started to play a game called "Stop" (scategories) with my friends, and now I have a new "B" word for desserts that start with a B. 

• Thank you, I started to play a game called "Stop" (scategories) with my friends, and now I have a new "B" word for desserts that start with a B. 
    Glad to be of service ;)
  • SP29SP29 member
    SP29 said:
    Everyone who seems to like 'po boys' and this restaurant just needs to come to Canada :) we can eat poutine and beavertails for dessert ;)

Bahaha!

Beavertails are a deep fried dough, usually designed for dessert. The basic is to sprinkle cinnamon or icing sugar on them, but you can go crazy and get fruit, ice cream, chocolate sauce, etc. Very commonly found at festivals, carnivals and amusement parks.

Beavertails actually come from the Hungarian culture, where eaten for dessert include icing sugar or cinnamon, but you can also get them rubbed with olive oil and garlic.

Basically yes :) Apparently Beavertails are better {as told by an American lol!}
    I usually get cinnamon and brown sugar, but my H gets the one that's basically garlic cheese bread ;)
    I like icing sugar and fruit (usually cherries I think).

• SP29 said:
    SP29 said:
    Bahaha!

I like icing sugar and fruit (usually cherries I think).

Ooh! That's not an option here!
    These are typical minus apple/cinnamon {depends on season}, and oreo isn't always available

• I'm going to eat the shit out of an elephant ear tomorrow.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    why wait? go now!
    why wait? go now!

They have an elephant ear stand at Soldier Field and I'm going there tomorrow.

IDK where to just buy one outside of a county fair. And I'm too fat to allow myself to start making them at home again, LOL.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • SP29 said:

Bahaha!

Growing up across the border (just outside of Niagara Falls) I thought poutine and beavertails were American.

I also thought that you could choose to describe temperature as Celsius or Fahrenheit. I'm ashamed that it took me a long time to understand the difference. To be fair our news always reported both.  Also, my Sesame Street counted in French and English. Turns out that isn't the case in most of the U.S.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards