Pre-wedding Parties

Bridal Shower Games

Hi! I'm looking for some games to play at a friends bridal shower. The only thing is that the grooms family speaks a different language, so there is a slight language barrier. Does anyone have any suggestions for a game that doesn't require too much directions with as little confusion as possible.

Thank you!

Re: Bridal Shower Games

• I don't enjoy shower games, so no recommendations for any.  

Is the language barrier the only issue with this shower?
  • edited April 2016
    JaxInBlue said:
    I'm not a huge fan of overloading a shower with games, in general.  One or two aren't terrible though, if you choose games that fit with the group attending.  When you are dealing with a language barrier, I think that makes it much harder. 

I like @ernursej 's idea of a timer game that doesn't need to be played.  I would also suggest something like gift bingo - where each guest gets a 5x5 card with potential gifts in the boxes and as things are opened, they are checked off the cards.  This could work for a bilingual crowd, especially if you could premake the cards using both languages.

Two other ideas - though one isn't really a game.  First, you could pre-wrap a small gift in a bunch of layers of wrapping paper.  The gift gets passed guest to guest and each person removes one layer.  The person who unwraps the gift wins.  Second, it's not a game but leaving out "share a wish/story/advice" cards can create a nice collection on anecdotes for the couple.
    That's a lovely idea, and the bride can also share stories of her best memories with each guest (or if she hasn't met them yet, the best things she's heard about them from her FI). Maybe the groom should also be there to interpret, if the bride needs help?
  • Thank you all for your replies!
    ernursej - That's a good idea, thank you for the suggestion. It seems like a fun, simple way to dole out gifts.

JaxInBlue - The bingo idea would go over well, I could even include images to show the object without words as well. I love your ideas and will pass them along to the host(along with the other great suggestions on this post). Thank you! 

@ILoveBeachMusic - That's a lovely story. And that advice is fantastic. Thank you.

Jen4948 - Yes, thats the only issue. Hoping that no one feels excluded because of a language barrier.

OurWildKingdom - I think she hasn't met a few of the guests, so that is a great idea too. Thank you. We were thinking of having him come at the end for a game and maybe have a more involved game about the couple while he is there.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Most of my husband's family members don't speak English, and the only game played at my shower was a hot potato type game.  Each table passed a softball (H and i met on a softball team) from person to person with some music playing, and whoever had the softball when the music stopped won a prize.  (It went on for three rounds.)
    Although as a PP said, fewer games are better.  As long as there's plenty of food and unlimited wine I'm a happy camper :)
  • Thank you all for your replies!
    ernursej - That's a good idea, thank you for the suggestion. It seems like a fun, simple way to dole out gifts.

JaxInBlue - The bingo idea would go over well, I could even include images to show the object without words as well. I love your ideas and will pass them along to the host(along with the other great suggestions on this post). Thank you! 

@ILoveBeachMusic - That's a lovely story. And that advice is fantastic. Thank you.

Jen4948 - Yes, thats the only issue. Hoping that no one feels excluded because of a language barrier.

OurWildKingdom - I think she hasn't met a few of the guests, so that is a great idea too. Thank you. We were thinking of having him come at the end for a game and maybe have a more involved game about the couple while he is there.
    I would actually print out BLANK bingo cards, and let the participants fill in their own cards with items they think the bride will open.  They get some "gimmes" by putting on the card the items that they themselves brought (i.e. Panini Press in the middle square because I bought the bride a panini press.)  And sure, they can "cheat" by asking their friends what they brought, but since you don't know in what order the gifts will be opened, it's entirely possible that those cheater gifts don't get opened till the end after all the prizes are gone.
  • at my shower we each got a slice of cake. The person with a sticker on the bottom of the plate got a prize.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards