Chit Chat

Father of the Bride Gift

I am having a heck of a time picking out the father of the bride gift. We are getting both of our mothers handmade handkerchiefs with poems I wrote on them and his dad a compass with a very sweet message from my fiance.

My dad is hard because I know he wouldn't appreciate the compass because he's a practical guy who has no use for a compass. He virtually has no hobbies, he's not a drinker, and he won't be in need of cuff links.

He does have a pocket knife collection but they're all antique pocket knives so I don't know if he'd appreciate a personalized one.

I am leaning towards a 2 spot watch box since he wears 1 watch for work and another for going out and get it personalized with his initials in the background and "Father of the Bride" in the foreground but I feel this isn't personal enough to reflect our love and respect for him and for all he has done for us over the years. Should I get that and just put a nicely messaged card with it??

Any advice or suggestions?

Re: Father of the Bride Gift

• I am having a heck of a time picking out the father of the bride gift. We are getting both of our mothers handmade handkerchiefs with poems I wrote on them and his dad a compass with a very sweet message from my fiance.

My dad is hard because I know he wouldn't appreciate the compass because he's a practical guy who has no use for a compass. He virtually has no hobbies, he's not a drinker, and he won't be in need of cuff links.

He does have a pocket knife collection but they're all antique pocket knives so I don't know if he'd appreciate a personalized one.

I am leaning towards a 2 spot watch box since he wears 1 watch for work and another for going out and get it personalized with his initials in the background and "Father of the Bride" in the foreground but I feel this isn't personal enough to reflect our love and respect for him and for all he has done for us over the years. Should I get that and just put a nicely messaged card with it??

Any advice or suggestions?
    Take the wedding out of the equation for the moment.  If it was his birthday, what would you consider?  The gift does not necessarily have to be a tangible memento of the wedding.  Does he have a favorite restaurant or food?  You could gift him a restaurant experience, or offer to make his favorite meal at your home.  Is he sentimental?  Make sure you have the photographer take an awesome picture of he and you at the wedding, and frame it for him.  Do you have a photo of he and you from your childhood?  You could frame that, or include it in a two photo frame along with one from your wedding.

Focus on the heartfelt card and the message.  I will treasure those forever!
  • If he likes antique pocket knives, I'd get him one of those and don't engrave it, with a card. He doesn't need something to be labeled Best Ever Father of the Bride to remember why it is special!
  • I ditto PP, take your wedding out of the picture and give him a gift like it is his birthday. 
  • Agree with PPs. I also vote for something not engraved. I've seen beautiful gifts ruined when people engraved something on it.

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think the watch box would be nice. I wouldn't put "Father of the Bride" on it, but you could put his monogram on it.

I bought DH a watch box one Christmas because he has several and they were lying around on his dresser. I also bought DH a cuff link box, that is leather and the store offered the option to monogram it- it's discreet in one of the corners, so not over the top. I got it from this collection at Pottery Barn: http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/organization/saddle-leather-accessories/?cm_type=gnav

If you want to get personal, do that with a card or letter.

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016
    My father is also impossible to shop for, and he doesn't drink either (15 years sober go Dad!). A couple years ago I hit on idea that was a huge hit so I've stuck with it. I put together what I call "the basket of yum" . I go to the Pike Place Market and buy a variety of really tasty, local, high quality snacks (special chocolates, good cheese, fancy nuts, smoked salmon, exotic fruit, artisan crackers, fancy tea etc), things he can't find where he lives and put that in a pretty basket or gift bag.

He loooooooves it. He and Bonus Mom look forward to it at Christmas.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards