Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dessert table?

For a brunch bridal shower is it weird to have a dessert table and desert like meal options? i felt like it was weird to have pancakes, muffins or danish as part of the meal but still having a semi traditional dessert table. it just seems off to have one sweet dish as part of the brunch meal and another on the dessert table and how do we decide which goes where?

TIA(:

Re: Dessert table?

• Not at all! It would be a great place for muffins, Danish, waffles, etc. You could also add fresh fruit and yogurt if you want to offer healthier options.
  • For our brunch, we kept "traditional" sweet breakfast foods such as blueberry muffins, scones, banana bread, and waffles with the main menu buffet.  We also kept our yogurt parfait bar with the main menu buffet, because guests could add the fresh fruit to their waffles if they chose to do so.  We also had fruit "dips" on this buffet since they also lent themselves to the parfaits or waffles.

We kept the dessert sweets nearby but separate from the main menu buffet.  Those items included cookies, petite fours, cupcakes, or chocolates.
  • Dessert table sounds great. This is for a shower you are planning for someone else right?
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    I think it depends on how much your brunch plays out as breakfast vs. lunch.  I find that lots of people tend to play brunch as "sweet breakfast food served later in the day" rather than actually offering a combination of breakfast and lunch foods.  If you're only (or mostly) serving sweeter breakfast fare, then I probably wouldn't very interested in a lot of dessert, let alone having an entire dessert table - just something like a truffle or chocolate covered strawberry at most, if at all (and that's saying a lot since I love sweets but the options you listed are all very sweet and carb heavy and dessert is just overload for me).  If you're offering a wide variety of savory foods as well (frittata, soup, pasta or other salads, some carved meat and rolls for sandwiches, veggie tray, etc.), then I'm far more likely to be interested in a proper dessert (or two) such that a dessert table would be worth it.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think a dessert table is fine, but I would be sure to balance it out with some not so sweet foods.

When I think of brunch, I still think of hearty food such as eggs with bacon or sausage. It just happens to also include danishes, muffins, fruit, yogurt, etc. Something like a frittata or egg quiche would be yummy.
  • No one ever complains about too many dessert options...  just say'n..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards