Chit Chat

Houston flooding

I hope everyone in the area is dry and safe.

Re: Houston flooding

• I live just north of houston (spring) and we're ok.  No real flooding, fortunately. Just crazy tornado and flood warnings all morning.  The lightening was insane for a while.  Like a constant strobe light.

I do work downtown, but fortunately school was cancelled today.  Hope everyone else is safe!

SaveSave
  • I just talked to a client and their office is closed.   I'm thinking of all of you in the area and hope all of you are safe.  These reports are super scary.

• Thinking of all of those in the area!

• edited April 2016
    We're okay. We live in a NW suburb (Cypress). My doofus husband attempted to drive to work this morning and is stranded at a Wal Mart.  I'm still amazed we didn't lose power last night ... according to the Weather Channel app, lightning struck 6 miles away from us.   The rain gauge nearest us measures 12".

Good times. 

Here's the last 24 hours .....

• I live near Rice, but I am on an upper-floor of a high rise so I'm okay.

It's weird though-today is the last day of tax season and it's weird not to be at work.  But my office is in Sugar Land next to 59, so there's no way anyone could get there.

Presumably the IRS will grant extra time for this situation, but still...after last Memorial Day it is weird that it's happening again.
  • @Jen4948 , I was thinking that this is a lot like last year around Memorial Day in that nobody really saw it coming.   
  • Yes. I was thinking the same thing.  Last year I couldn't go to work that day either.

I think Houston's emergency services will have to be on 24/7 alert at all times of year, because it can happen at any time.
  • Ironically, we had off last friday (I'm a teacher) because we had an inclement weather day we hadn't used yet.  :|

So I'm not sure whether we'll have to make this up or not.

SaveSave
  • What would happen if there were more inclement weather days than you could make up? Would they shorten the school year?
  • I knew last night that it was going to be wet.   I follow this blogger on FB ( https://m.facebook.com/ericbergersciguy/)
     and saw a post on our way home last night.  He's good.   
  • Jen4948 said:
    What would happen if there were more inclement weather days than you could make up? Would they shorten the school year?
    I'm not sure I understand your question.  I'm assuming they just keep extending the school year until we reach our legally required days. 

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    Jen4948 said:
    What would happen if there were more inclement weather days than you could make up? Would they shorten the school year?
    I'm not sure I understand your question.  I'm assuming they just keep extending the school year until we reach our legally required days. 
    I guess I'm wondering what would happen if it just wasn't possible to reach the legally required number of days due to inclement weather or any other reason. I assume they wouldn't keep school going seven days a week for prolonged periods of time.
  • Jen4948 said:
    monkeysip said:
    Jen4948 said:
    I guess I'm wondering what would happen if it just wasn't possible to reach the legally required number of days due to inclement weather or any other reason. I assume they wouldn't keep school going seven days a week for prolonged periods of time.
    I'm really not sure.  Here in Houston we don't have that problem... we close maybe a couple times a year.  I'm curious about schools up north that sometimes have to close school for weeks due to snow.  

I do remember last year actually Texas waived a day for the local districts in Houston.  When we had all that major flooding around memorial day, districts like HISD lost a day.  Since it was already the very end of the school year and most kids had already taken final exams, Texas just waived it.

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    Jen4948 said:
    monkeysip said:
    Jen4948 said:
    I'm really not sure.  Here in Houston we don't have that problem... we close maybe a couple times a year.  I'm curious about schools up north that sometimes have to close school for weeks due to snow.  

I do remember last year actually Texas waived a day for the local districts in Houston.  When we had all that major flooding around memorial day, districts like HISD lost a day.  Since it was already the very end of the school year and most kids had already taken final exams, Texas just waived it.
    I know in other places that there has been school on weekends in some instances where it wasn't able to run during the week.
  • Hope you guys are all staying safe.

Jen4948 said:
    monkeysip said:
    Jen4948 said:

I grew up in the suburbs of Buffalo, so what happened there with schools days was for the last few weeks June were scheduled half days, and if there were more snow/weather days called off than normal they extended the days to full days. They also had three buffer days in June they could extend to. If it looked like they would use those and still need more, and they knew this early enough they would take days from the end of spring break.
  • A few years back, the schools were out because of unusual amounts of snow and ice. They ended up extending the school for the remainder of the year plus using the built in school days. Another year, I remember the state gov't voted to excuse missed days after a week of make up days.
  • We were just talking this morning at school about all of you ladies who get snow days and then have to make them up at the end of the year.  We don't get snow days, since we'd never work in the winter.  Our board also has a policy of never closing, cos some Mom wouldn't notice and would drop off little Johnny for 8 hours in a -30C blizzard assuming we were open.  But we all agreed that if we had to stay past our set end of year, everyone would riot, so it couldn't happen.  

• edited April 2016
    Here's just how bad some of the flooding still is ..... this is a street less than 5 miles from our house.  The house I grew up in is off this street. 

https://www.facebook.com/therodryanshow/videos/1279751435374595/

This is a park ~3 miles from our house in the opposite direction.  We often take our dogs walking here ....

park.jpg 106.6K
  • Wow, @holyguacamole79! Hoping everyone is dry and safe!
  • Here's just how bad some of the flooding still is ..... this is a street less than 5 miles from our house.  The house I grew up in is off this street. 

https://www.facebook.com/therodryanshow/videos/1279751435374595/

This is a park ~3 miles from our house in the opposite direction.  We often take our dogs walking here ....

Years ago I lived near there.  I was in Meyerland where I lived more recently to help with cleanup today.  The sad irony is that last year after the Memorial Day flooding, I was also in Meyerland, where I helped the same family I helped today. After last year's flooding, they moved away and moved back -- this Sunday. And the very next day (yesterday) they got flooded again.
  • @Jen4948 , ugh.   That's tough.   I grew up in ther Champions area, and they got it badly. 
  • @holyguacamole79, your area definitely got it bad too. I'm glad you're okay. What kind of dogs do you have?
  • @Jen4948 , I was just telling my mom how fortunate we are that we're in a "sweet spot" between 290 and Champions.  There are so many aerial videos of the area that are so sobering. 

We have 2 chihuahuas.   This is them Sunday night .... they slept with us and they were not happy.

• @Jen4948 , it's crazy ... I just saw footage on NBC nightly news of the flood.  The reporter was in front of my dad's old office!
  • @holyguacamole79 , your dogs are adorable.

That is weird to see footage of the flooding in a familiar area.  I saw that last year in the parking lot of the shopping center on Beechnut across from Meyerland Mall right after the Memorial Day flooding-it was so weird because I'm in that area all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards