Favors

Favor Ideas

I am trying to check off as many things from my (very long) wedding to do list as possible. I have my venue, the officiant, honeymoon & I plan to go check out bridesmaids dresses tomorrow (I am feeling so productive! :smiley:)

So I was thinking that up next would be favors but I'm a bit on the fence about what to get. As a wedding guest, I'm a big fan of edible favors, so I was thinking of some cookies and maybe a mini bottle of champagne for each guest, kind of like a to go snack for later. But then I'm also a fan of unique & personal. I have an acquaintance who has an etsy shop and she has some really cute customizable prints so I was thinking I could order some from her, have them framed and use that as a favor. I think it'd be unique and nice. I'd be interested in your thoughts. (the shop is called the festive chick) She told me I could make anything she has into 4x6 or I can customize my own print which is what I'm leaning towards. I would likely pick a favorite love related quote or something relating to family and friends, something that would be applicable to any guest.

If you have a something other than cookies as a favor recommendation, I'd appreciate that too. 

Thanks in advance, ladies! 

Re: Favor Ideas

• edited March 2016
    I'm a big fan of cookies, but I'm also considering a bookmark with a quote about love. A lot of our crowd are readers. I wasn't planning on putting our names and the wedding date on it (or if I did, it might be in Elvish, Gallifreyan, or something similar; we're big geeks).

Bookmarks are are also easy to DIY if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Go with your first what you like as a guest, go with something edible. You can rarely go wrong with that. Skip the champagne if you are having under age guests, because then you don't have to worry about them drinking.

One of my friends did our favors as our wedding gift. She made heart shaped chocolate suckers using a mold. She put little bags over each of them and used ribbon in our wedding colors to tie them close. I found heart shaped stickers on Oriental Trading that said "Thank you for sharing our special day with us" that I put on the back of the bag.

I'm sure your friend has beautiful work but artwork is so subjective to a persons personal taste. If people leave behind an edible favor you can eat it to get rid of it, what are you doing with framed work if guests leave them behind?

• I wouldn't be interested in a print if it didn't match my decor.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm a big fan of cookies, but I'm also considering a bookmark with a quote about love. A lot of our crowd are readers. I wasn't planning on putting our names and the wedding date on it (or if I did, it might be in Elvish, Gallifreyan, or something similar; we're big geeks).

Bookmarks are are also easy to DIY if you're into that sort of thing.
    I love bookmarks but have very few readers coming to the wedding. I think your ideas sound great. :) 

• Erikan73 said:

Go with your first what you like as a guest, go with something edible. You can rarely go wrong with that. Skip the champagne if you are having under age guests, because then you don't have to worry about them drinking.

One of my friends did our favors as our wedding gift. She made heart shaped chocolate suckers using a mold. She put little bags over each of them and used ribbon in our wedding colors to tie them close. I found heart shaped stickers on Oriental Trading that said "Thank you for sharing our special day with us" that I put on the back of the bag.

I'm sure your friend has beautiful work but artwork is so subjective to a persons personal taste. If people leave behind an edible favor you can eat it to get rid of it, what are you doing with framed work if guests leave them behind?

Goodness, I hadn't thought about the kids. I just LOL when I pictured our nieces and nephews popping champagne bottles. I saw some on Pinterest with a straw attached and they are soooo cute! That's still a maybe. 

As as for the artwork, I get what you're saying, still on the fence. Let me see if I can post a picture of what I have in mind. 
  • AddieCake said:
    I wouldn't be interested in a print if it didn't match my decor.
    Well it's a very generic chalkboard like background with 2 lovebirds and it says home is wherever I am with you or something like that. The birds are initialed on her original print but Idk if I should have them initialed. I decided to ditch the frame so it would be a small 4x6 photo print you can frame or put up on your fridge or whatever. I think it's pretty cute and it's fitting to us cause we did a lot of moving around and back and forth a while back. 
  • Sammy1112 said:
    AddieCake said:
    Well it's a very generic chalkboard like background with 2 lovebirds and it says home is wherever I am with you or something like that. The birds are initialed on her original print but Idk if I should have them initialed. I decided to ditch the frame so it would be a small 4x6 photo print you can frame or put up on your fridge or whatever. I think it's pretty cute and it's fitting to us cause we did a lot of moving around and back and forth a while back. 

Honestly, I always take the favours, but anything that is not edible gets tossed after some time collecting dust. I feel bad throwing things out, but I don't need the extra clutter. I would go with your gut and do edible. Think about if you got a print from another wedding and it wasn't your style or you had room for it ...
  • edited March 2016
    Bird-shaped sugar cookies frosted in your wedding colors would be a natural! 
  • Agree with PPs.  I wouldn't be interested in a print that didn't match my decor or reflected a sentiment I shared, and it would be too hard to individualize something like that.  Get the print you like for you - it could sit on your card table, or on your head/sweetheart table as a decoration. 

If you want to share the sentiment of a particular quote with your guests, maybe your friend could help you design your thank you notes or little tags you could use on an edible favor.  (And if you go the champagne route, I'd absolutely look into similar mini-bottle of something non-alcoholic for those under 21 or not drinking - sodas, iced tea, lemonade, etc.)
    Anniversary

• Sammy1112 said:
    AddieCake said:
    Yeah, not something I would like at all. I don't hang pictures on my fridge, and something that small would either have to go there, be pinned to a bulletin board, or be in a small frame on a shelf, none of which are appealing to me.

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree I'd stay away from the print. While *I* personally do like that quote (it is also something personal to me and DH, as we moved across the country together at one point), others might not.

Colour is another issue. While I might like that print, I'd want it in a colour that matches the rest of my home decor. The other issue is size- if I had that print, I would want it large enough that I could frame it and hang it on my wall, 4X6'' is not it.

If you really like it, I'd get one for yourself. But for your guests, edible is best. I think picking your favourite candy or type of cookie is a great idea.
  • Sammy1112 said:
    AddieCake said:
    It might be "pretty cute" and it might be "fitting to you," but those shouldn't be the only criteria (or honestly, criteria at all) for deciding whether or not to give something as a favor.

The first one should be: Is this something my guests would appreciate getting?

And if I were a guest, I'd tell you "no." It wouldn't have meaning for me.

Edible items are much more likely to be winners.
  • Sammy1112 said:
    AddieCake said:
    When I was a single lady, I would have thought this very strange to be putting in my house. Now that I'm not, it still wouldn't be my cup of tea for household decor.

If it's your thing, great, it sounds cute! But I wouldn't expect that it would be the "thing" for all your guests.

• Thank you all for the input! :)
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Another option for you (although not a favour), is if there is a print you really like, get a large format and framed with a wide white border. Have it at the wedding for guests to sign, and then it's something you can put up in your home as a memento from your wedding.
  • I did Jordan almond flowers. Edible but also decorative. Some friends helped me make them. Then I got Jordan almonds in my color (bright pink).

I would not like a print.

• We're doing little mason jars that are filled with popcorn and kettle corn. Someone gave us the mason jars and we're making the popcorn and kettle corn ourselves.

Our thought process is that even if you don't like the jar you can at least have a snack out of it, haha. And mason jar salads (and, obviously, jam making) are pretty popular so I'm hoping people will find a use for the jar. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• We're doing little mason jars that are filled with popcorn and kettle corn. Someone gave us the mason jars and we're making the popcorn and kettle corn ourselves.

Our thought process is that even if you don't like the jar you can at least have a snack out of it, haha. And mason jar salads (and, obviously, jam making) are pretty popular so I'm hoping people will find a use for the jar. 
    I get all my jam jars at thrift stores, so even people who don't want to keep the jars can get them to someone who would love them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards