Chit Chat

I want to sell my wedding dress... but where & how?

Has anyone ever sold their wedding dress? I'm not sure what's the best way to do this... are there stores in NYC that will take it or is online the way to go? If so, which site? The issue is that I want it to be someone locally who will buy it b/c I want to know it fits her. It's a size 4 but not a true size 4 b/c it was altered to fit me.. so this way if she is local, she can come to my house to try it on before she buys it... b/c I would not want to advertise it as a size 4 and then someone far away buys it and it doesn't fit. What is the best way to describe it? Do I just list my measurements rather than say 'size 4'? I'm so lost... BTW it's a gorgeous James Clifford if anyone is interested... if someone can let me know what's the best way to get the ball rolling, that would be appreciated. From one former bride to another.... :) *cheers!*

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I want to sell my wedding dress... but where & how?

• You would say it is a label size 4 but could say "fits like a 2" or whatever and then include the measurements so someone knows. To be honest some people might not want to go to a stranger's house to try on a dress, I know I wouldn't do it.
  • I just want to know it fits them before they pay for it... You don't always know what you're getting when you buy online, especially used items. I guess I can say the measurements and hopefully it fits them... I would just feel horrible if I sold someone something and then it's not what they thought it was.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I sold my gown from my first wedding on eBay. It listed the label size, my street size, and then my height and measurements. I also provided a lot of pictures. I had no problems selling it.

• Ok. Thanks, maybe I will try that. I saw some other sites that specialize in wedding dress selling but some were asking for like a $25 listing fee, which is stupid. I'm not paying a fee to sell something. (Does ebay charge? never used it)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you want to stay local, why not list it on Craigslist?

• Ok. Thanks, maybe I will try that. I saw some other sites that specialize in wedding dress selling but some were asking for like a $25 listing fee, which is stupid. I'm not paying a fee to sell something. (Does ebay charge? never used it)
    Listing fees are the norm. Every website has the expense of hosting and most companies aren't just doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. You'd pay a newspaper to take out a classified ad; it's no different.
  • I just want to know it fits them before they pay for it... You don't always know what you're getting when you buy online, especially used items. I guess I can say the measurements and hopefully it fits them... I would just feel horrible if I sold someone something and then it's not what they thought it was.

I definitely think it is a nice thing to be able to try it on but I think a buyer knows the risk. I bought mine used online and I was nervous because the measurements seemed a little off but I was pretty sure it was big so I went ahead. But I did factor that into the price I was willing to pay knowing that if it didn't fit I would be out the $$ without being able to return it (unless the item was not as advertised)
  • I wouldn't worry about your dress fitting the person who buys it.  Provide all sizes, what it was when you purchased and what your typical street size is.  I donated a BM dress to a charity and I specifically said what my street size was because the dress was purchased 2 sizes up and needed lots of alterations.

When you sell the dress, make sure your listing say no refunds.  Then its not your problem if someone buys the dress and it doesn't fit.  I would also consider providing the inside measurements for the dress, especially if it was very form fitting in areas.  Then it is on the purchaser, you provided all the information you had.

Ebay will charge you a small fee to create the listing and a percentage fee of the final cost.  Sometimes they will have specials for new sellers or no listing fees. 

I would also look into oncewed for selling online. 

• Are there any local wedding buy/sell/trade Facebook groups?  You could try there.  But I know the ones I'm on, everyone is super cheap so you won't get a big price for your dress, but if it's in the sub $300 range you'd probably have OK luck.  

Speaking of, expect to only be able to get 60% of what you paid for the dress, if not less.  I see dresses listed saying "only worn once!" and only knocking a couple hundred off retail.  That isn't going to fly.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Oh and also, you're going to pay a fee no matter where you go, unless you list it yourself on free sites like Facebook and Craigslist.  Ebay charges a fee, and consignment stores definitely charge a fee.  TBH a $25 fee doesn't sound that bad for an item like a wedding dress.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Are there any local wedding buy/sell/trade Facebook groups?  You could try there.  But I know the ones I'm on, everyone is super cheap so you won't get a big price for your dress, but if it's in the sub $300 range you'd probably have OK luck.  

Speaking of, expect to only be able to get 60% of what you paid for the dress, if not less.  I see dresses listed saying "only worn once!" and only knocking a couple hundred off retail.  That isn't going to fly.  

Ya I'm not expecting to get what I paid for it... or close (I think it was $3,100), but I will take what I can get. I am moving and I have no need for this dress anymore so I'd rather just sell it, hopefully another bride can use it. Thanks for the advice. I think i'll check out facebook locally first and see if NYC area has something so the person could see the dress in person before I resort to going online like ebay. Thanks a lot. What fee does ebay usually charge?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Ya I'm not expecting to get what I paid for it... or close (I think it was $3,100), but I will take what I can get. I am moving and I have no need for this dress anymore so I'd rather just sell it, hopefully another bride can use it. Thanks for the advice. I think i'll check out facebook locally first and see if NYC area has something so the person could see the dress in person before I resort to going online like ebay. Thanks a lot. What fee does ebay usually charge?

The Ebay fees vary by what type of listing you have. Plus, the more pics you add, the more $$. My dress was just over $4K but I sold it for ~$1200. That was back in 2004, though.

For that price point of dress, I'd do consignment.  It gets out of your house at least and you don't have to meet with anybody.
    Married 9.12.15

For that price point of dress, I'd do consignment.  It gets out of your house at least and you don't have to meet with anybody.
    Do you by any chance know of any consignment shops in New York City that take wedding dresses? I'll throw this on the local board too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is a website that I checked regularly when looking for my dress called https://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/ they are a site just for used wedding dresses and seems very popular. I was thinking of listing mine there after the wedding, but I decided to do a custom made gown, so I am not sure if I will be able to sell it. Another one is 'oncewed.com' which is also for selling/buying used wedding dresses. 

Do you by any chance know of any consignment shops in New York City that take wedding dresses? I'll throw this on the local board too.
    No idea, I've never even been to NYC, I live in Colorado.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Most people dramatically overvalue their wedding dresses. If you really want it sold I'd list it on preownedweddingdresses- check out other listings. Most say the size of the garment and the measurements it was altered to. No one wants to come to your house and try it on. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards