Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Food truck reception

Hi there! My fiancé and I are getting married on July 8th, 2017. We are a young, fun-loving couple and our wedding will reflect that. Knowing our personalities and the personalities of our guests, we are choosing to go with food trucks for our reception catering so that there can be quite a variety and fit the overall vibe of our wedding.

We are planning on getting three separate trucks and we will have about 120 guests attending our wedding. Catering trucks need to know how many people they will be serving. Obviously we aren't going to tell each truck that they need to feed 120 people, but I'm really unsure on how many to tell each truck. Help!

Re: Food truck reception

• nicolem92 said:
    Hi there! My fiancé and I are getting married on July 8th, 2017. We are a young, fun-loving couple and our wedding will reflect that. Knowing our personalities and the personalities of our guests, we are choosing to go with food trucks for our reception catering so that there can be quite a variety and fit the overall vibe of our wedding.

We are planning on getting three separate trucks and we will have about 120 guests attending our wedding. Catering trucks need to know how many people they will be serving. Obviously we aren't going to tell each truck that they need to feed 120 people, but I'm really unsure on how many to tell each truck. Help!
    JIC
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    nicolem92 said:
     we are choosing to go with food trucks for our reception catering so that there can be quite a variety and fit the overall vibe of our wedding.

Obviously we aren't going to tell each truck that they need to feed 120 people...
    If your goal is for your guests to be offered variety, wouldn't they sample food from each of the three trucks?  If you go the food truck route (although PP have listed some terrific reasons why it's not the best idea), definitely tell them that they're serving 120 people.
  • If you really want to include food trucks in your wedding, I would go with @madamerwin's suggestion of using one for some sort of late night snack. Maybe you could even use one for dessert. But I wouldn't rely on them for dinner; you'll have a logistical nightmare and a lot of impatient guests on your hands. 

Also, do you plan on having a seat for every guest, or are you assuming people will stand around and eat after they get what they want from the food trucks?
  • I have been to a wedding that did have late night food done by a food truck and we had to wait a long time for food. I was glad this was a snack and not the main meal. I think I waited almost 45 minutes for my slider. At the time the food truck was serving, there were still about 30 people and almost all came to order. I remember the food being tasty, but I didn't like the concept of waiting in line to order and then wait again for my food. For your wedding, the volume at each food truck would be ~40 people (if each person only went to one truck) and most trucks cannot handle that volume in a reasonable amount of time. If all yours guests were interested in sampling each truck ... your whole reception could be people waiting in line for food.
  • I agree with PPs that a food truck for your Kate night snack is a better option than food trucks for the meal. 

Have you considered doing food stations for dinner instead?  My caterer does a "Tastes of Detroit" theme and each station offers a different type of food representing the city (Faygo Rock n Rye short rib, Greektown and Mexicantown station, Pierogis, Coney dog etc). You could work with a caterer for something like this that still guarantees a variety of food and matches your idea of shopping around for food, while guaranteeing it's being prepared en masses in a full size kitchen. 
    What a fun idea!
  • I agree with PPs that a food truck for your Kate night snack is a better option than food trucks for the meal. 

Have you considered doing food stations for dinner instead?  My caterer does a "Tastes of Detroit" theme and each station offers a different type of food representing the city (Faygo Rock n Rye short rib, Greektown and Mexicantown station, Pierogis, Coney dog etc). You could work with a caterer for something like this that still guarantees a variety of food and matches your idea of shopping around for food, while guaranteeing it's being prepared en masses in a full size kitchen. 
    Mmmm, Faygo Rock n Rye anything!  I would be all over those ribs.  My boss is 100% Greek and grew up in Greektown.  If you are light on meeting your food and beverage minimum I'm sure we could help you out.
  • Believe it or not @kmmssg, we actually decided against this menu!!  

I have a handful of handicapped guests (spread across 3 or 4 tables) and didn't want getting their dinner to be difficult for them.  But, man, it would have been a damn good meal!
  • DH is out of town next Wed, Thur, Fri - I could be down for those ribs.......
  • Get two food options from each truck & put that in with the invite & make the guest choose with RSVP, just like you would if you had one caterer that and people had to pick between a chicken dish or beef dish. Then have one serving company get the food from the trucks & serve your guests. If it's a more casual setting, then give each person a "ticket" based on their RSVP and they can go to the respective truck & get the meal they RSVP for. By limiting choices and having people pick in advance all the trucks can have proper supplies with them & get it ready fast so people don't have to wait. Whenever I've gone to an event with multiple food trucks that has a few options & they make everything fresh to order, the wait time on average is 20 minutes to get the meal. If I'm a guest at a wedding I really don't want to first have to stand in line to order my meal, then wait 20 minutes after that to just get my food.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards