Getting in Shape

Gym Routine Help

Hi Knotties!

I've been working out 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes, usually on the treadmill or elliptical and just can't seem to lose much weight. I eat fairly healthy [don't go out to eat too much and usually follow a whole foods diet], I think maybe my workout routine just isn't that great. I was wondering if anyone had some gym routines that worked for them. I'm looking to lose around 10lb and our wedding is in a little less than 11 months.

Re: Gym Routine Help

• Can you sign up for a few training sessions? 

I find that I have to change up my cardio pretty regularly to see results. This is usually what my gym/workout schedule looks like*

Monday: 
    Spin class or treadmill for one hour 
    Tuesday:
    Treadmill 30 mins, trainer 30 mins, Barre class 
    Wednesday:
    Elliptical/stair climber 45 minutes 
    Thursday:
    Treadmill 1 hour or Cardio class / trainer 30 mins 
    Friday:
    Treadmill 1 hour 
    Saturday:
    Treadmill 1 hour, Barre class 
    Sunday:
    Spin 

*I don't always workout 7 days per week 
  • Thank you so much. This definitely helps! I can't afford a trainer but my gym does offer spinning and barre classes so maybe I'll add in some of those.
  • edited December 2015
    Definitely add in some classes at your gym. I'm trying a new cardio interval class tonight. I just started Barre a few weeks ago, and I love it. 

ETA: I find it's easy to get burned out just doing the same thing. So change it up whenever you can. 
  • I love classes, especially when you can't afford a trainer.  There are also apps you can download to help create workouts at the gym.  Check out Tone it Up and Pump Up App.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you like the treadmill I've been using the Couch-2-5K app...then the next stage is 10k...I like it bc you can start from any point in the program and it give s you a goal to work toward that isn't just pounds. 
  • Before I became pregnant I loved the C25K program.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If your gym offers classes I would take those. They are super motivating and helpful. If you are into it, I would invest in a heart rate monitor (I bought mine off amazon for $50 shipped). It's very helpful in determining how hard you really are working. Sometimes people can say you can burn 500 in a workout, but you're specifically only burning 250. I would also down load my fitness pal and input everything you eat and drink into it. It's helpful to have a visual aid (seeing how many calories are in your coffe and breakfast routine can put into perspective how calories can creep up on you) and you could not be eating ENOUGH. There's so many things that could be why you're not losing weight. Once you hone all this in, it makes it much easier.
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2015

30 minutes is a great start, but you probably are going to want to increase the gym time considerably if weight loss permanently is your goal.  You're going to spend money on classes or you're going to spend money on a trainer, the trainer is the money well spent because a great trainer is going to target your needs and help you develop a program that you can do without them around for years into the future.  Trainers aren't as expensive as you think - they have to make a living too, but most are going to be in that $25-50/session range, and you aren't going to be working with them every single day you're at the gym but you will be following the routines they set for you when you aren't in session.  A good trainer will train themselves out of a job.  That said - be sure your trainer is a good trainer, ask for recommendations.  Find out what sport they're competitive in (bonus points for strength sports).  Do not work with a trainer who is less in shape than you are. 

Muscle burns more calories than fat, and takes up far less surface mass, so it's time to figure out a way to add muscle.  A whole foods diet doesn't matter if your carb to protein ratios are off for your body (or if you're eating something your body is actually sensitive to but you don't know it yet).  If you can, get a body composition scan done (they're about $50-60 out of pocket) which will tell you accurately your lean body mass so you can target your caloric intake better, it also lets you know what you can safely lose.  BMI charts are BS because everyone's body is different based on many factors - you have to find out where YOUR body is actually at!

Aim for three days of (heavy) lifting per week with cardio and two days of cardio only, and clean up the diet.  Work with someone who makes diets for bodybuilders, they'll be able to pinpoint what needs adjustment and are experts at helping people lose a lot of weight over a window of time (usually 12-20 weeks, but depending on the amount someone wants to drop, it's a full year)..  Do not pick up a fitness magazine and think the diet recommendations in there are reality because every competitive BB, Bikini, Powerlifter, and Strong(wo)man I know laughs at how absurd the magazines are on pretty much every level.  Most of the women I know IN the magazines want to look like their picture in the magazine in the real world - that's saying something!

Don't look at the money spent on this as wasted - look at it as a long term investment into your self. 

• Thanks so much, this is great advice :) I really, really appreciate it!
  • A little late to this thread.... A few years ago I was trying to lose a few pounds and was really disappointed that the elliptical didn't seem to be working.  And I was doing intense intervals.  6 mile runs ended up helping me a lot, but not everyone has the patience or stamina for that.  I would recommend jumping rope at the gym and taking LONG walks (outside) --- in my experience the quickest, most efficient ways to burn fat and lose weight.
  • Hi Knotties!

I've been working out 3-5 days a week for 30 minutes, usually on the treadmill or elliptical and just can't seem to lose much weight. I eat fairly healthy [don't go out to eat too much and usually follow a whole foods diet], I think maybe my workout routine just isn't that great. I was wondering if anyone had some gym routines that worked for them. I'm looking to lose around 10lb and our wedding is in a little less than 11 months.
    Dont start a diet that has an expiration date

:)

I'll add that I use to weigh 248lbs (6'0") and am down to 170lbs. I have managed to keep it off for 5 years, and am trying to drop 5-10 before February 20th. I follow a "modified version" of SouthBeach (Google the Phase 1 List if you are interested.) If you are a soda (even diet) try replacing just 1 with water instead. MIRACLE, and it's GREAT for your skin!!!

I've been using the treadmill for 30 minutes a day (5 days). The last few workouts I've added a weight lifting segment right after my treadmill. Nothing fancy, but it takes your cardio effort and burns more calories while your heartrate is still in "exercise mode".

Didn't mean to be long winded. :)  But I just thought of one more thing. I will use (3 times a week) this app on my phone called "The 7 Minute Workout". It seems to be helping!!!

Keep up the great work, and best wishes!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sometimes it just takes mixing it up a bit too. I gave up my gym membership 2 months ago and decided to get an online trainer (so I could workout at home). She's been working with me on a 21 day fitness workout and eating program. I've found that really good and economical. I use FitnessPal for tracking but she helps with meal plans and recipes/tips etc. too which is great. I lost about 9 lbs last month. Going to do another round this month. Keep up the work! I find it really has to be the exercise + clean eating to see the results, but I made it clear that I still need to have my wine - so we worked that in:)
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Pretty much any exercise you do consistently should work, given 11 months. But weight loss is 80% diet. I lost 10 lbs over ~8 months (couldn't fit into any of my clothes) doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred 5-6 times per week. The three levels of '30DS' are all available to be streamed online for free, and each last about 30 minutes. 7 months of that, and I went from 0.5lb dumbbells to 8lb dumbbells. And I could finally do a push up.

However, to knock off the last couple pounds, I had to investigate my diet. Did paleo at home as a rule-based method of reducing sugar and carbs. Swapped an apple and hard boiled egg for the daily milk and cereal, etc. That worked. A year later, and I now do 30DS ~3 times per week, and still fit into all my old clothes.

Consistency + nutrition are really key.

k thnx bye

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards