Wedding Party

Bridal Party Gifts

Hello all, I was just curious, is it mandatory to buy gifts for the party (BM & GM) as a thank you, or no?

Thank you.

Re: Bridal Party Gifts

• I don't know if mandatory is the right word; no one can force you to do it and there is nothing anyone can do to you if you don't. But generally it's a nice thing to do to say thank you to your wedding party for standing beside you when you get married. 

They definitely don't have to be expensive. It's more about the thought behind them than the money you spend. If you have a friend who is a coffee fan; maybe a nice travel mug and a bag of her favorite blend? Or for someone who likes to a read, a book by her favorite author? Again, doesn't have to be expensive just has to show you appreciate that they are with you on your wedding day. 
  • Not mandatory, but don't you want to thank your nearest and dearest for taking time out of their busy lives to stand up with you at your wedding? Doesn't have to be anything expensive, but should come from the heart. We generally recommend not buying matchy-matchy stuff or anything related to your wedding. (i.e. robes to get ready in that say 'Bridesmaid' are a no-no)

Shop for your BMs the way you would for their birthday. Also, your FI should be handling the gifts for the BP members that stand on his side. 
    --

• Gifts aren't mandatory for your bridesmaids just as it's not mandatory for anyone to get you a gift because you're the bride.

BUT, it's traditional to give your BMs a gift as a way to say thank you for being there with you on the wedding day.

Remember, a gift has no strings.   So the gift isn't jewelry to wear on the wedding day, it isn't a clutch, a purse, BM day of survival kit, a bathrobe or gifting their hair and make up.   
  • It's not a requirement, but it is nice to do. Given that you have some major ass-kissing to do for at least one of your BMs, I highly recommend nice gifts.
  • Not MANDATORY - but everyone will side-eye you in the WP if you skip them...  They will also side-eye if you go insanely cheap on them with something they'll never use..

And yes, it should be something NOT related to the wedding and personal from you to them (i.e. you have a BM who is a KISS fan - a KISS memorabilia item would be appropriate, or a GM who is a gardener - a gift certificate to a local garden store would be appropriate).. 

• Just get them something. 

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It's not mandatory but a very nice gesture.  I gave my co-MOH's and BM their favorite spirit (wine for one, prosecco for another, and skinny girl margarita for the third), a gift card to their favorite restaurant, and then one unique gift each.  These are your nearest and dearest so it should be easy shopping for them- whatever you'd give them for their birthday is fine.
    PP have mentioned but jewelry/hair piece/robe you'd like them to wear the day of your wedding aren't gifts.
  • edited April 2016
    Thank you everyone for your replies. That helps me a lot. I wasn't sure.
  • I disagree, I think bridal party gifts are mandatory. You (general you) honor your nearest and dearest by asking them to be in your wedding party and you give them a gift to thank them for accepting, to thank them for being your friend/family and to thank them for taking the time/money/effort to be a part of your wedding.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I disagree, I think bridal party gifts are mandatory. You (general you) honor your nearest and dearest by asking them to be in your wedding party and you give them a gift to thank them for accepting, to thank them for being your friend/family and to thank them for taking the time/money/effort to be a part of your wedding.
    But by this sort of logic so are wedding gifts for the couple.  

I think it walks a reallllllly fine line but I think by the true definition mandatory is a strong word.

That said, I do think you're a shit if you don't give them. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Well, a GIFT is never required, but you should at the very least be giving them a personal thank you for standing up with you in your WP.

Would I give them a gift? Absolutely. With a hand written noted/card to say thank you.

Gifts don't have to be expensive, and should have nothing to do with your wedding (or else it isn't a gift for them). Great ideas above- coffee/tea, book, bottle of wine, fancy chocolate, gift certificate to the movies/restaurant.
  • Let me fix your question since 'mandatory' and 'gift' don't belong in the same sentence or thought.

Should you give your bm gifts? Absolutely, yes.

If this is a financial problem, cut other expenses - do your own mani/pedi, rather than go to the spa or buy less expensive flowers. If you need other suggestions, let us know. The gifts don't have to be expensive as long as they're thoughtful - favorite chocolates, a potted plant or a descent bottle of wine will suffice. 

If you don't want to buy gifts because you feel your bm don't 'deserve' gifts, that's more a reflection on you, than them. Don't be stingy.

• The best advice I've seen here is to shop like you would shop for a birthday or Christmas. It doesn't have to be expensive as long as it's thoughtful. 
  • I believe a gift is the right thing to do, I have a large wedding party and been searching online for months, if money is the issue, find some cheap favor sites you will find a lot of things under $10 i just made a massive order at light in box, there products are awesome and i did my entire wedding party there, and Etsy will do the special parent gifts :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CindyC74 said:
    I believe a gift is the right thing to do, I have a large wedding party and been searching online for months, if money is the issue, find some cheap favor sites you will find a lot of things under $10 i just made a massive order at light in box, there products are awesome and i did my entire wedding party there, and Etsy will do the special parent gifts :)
    ugh. no.

• Not "mandatory" so much as "appropriate" and "expected."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards