Chit Chat

What's with Beyoncé's Album?

Apparently I live under a rock.   What's the big deal?

Re: What's with Beyoncé's Album?

• banana468 said:
    Jay-Z can't keep it in his pants.  
    I heard he cheated with Rachel Roy a fashion designer but a bunch of people misspelled the last name and started sending angry tweets to Rachel Ray... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2016
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    I heard he cheated with Rachel Roy a fashion designer but a bunch of people misspelled the last name and started sending angry tweets to Rachel Ray... 
    Yeah.  It wasn't a 30 minute meal that he was after.  
    I laughed way too hard at that, @banana468
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    Yeah.  It wasn't a 30 minute meal that he was after.  
    Hahaha! I know more about the Rachel Roy/Rachael Ray fiasco than the actual album/video.

I heard about the album/video (it's a video too, right?) from my coworker, who said it was "stunning." Maybe I'll get around to watching it someday? Probably not, though, because 50 minutes is a big commitment for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also heard something about "Becky" ......?
  • @madamerwin I think I love you. 
    Back atcha, guac.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Is "Becky" Rachel Roy? Also, some other random celeb posted a photo of herself to Instagram wearing a bikini with lemons on it... And Beyonce's followers (the Beyhive? Pronounced Bayhive or Beehive?) think that means SHE is "Becky".

LMAO I have always wondered about the pronunciation!  I never realized how many Beyonce fans I was friends with on Facebook until a couple of days ago.  I also like a couple of her big singles but I don't understand why she's the A-lister of A-listers.  I saw a meme of JayZ saying "I've got 99 problems and Beyonce's all of them" :open_mouth: 
  • I don't follow Beyonce or listen to her or anything but I watch The Young Turks and apparently she was trying to bring up serious Black Lives Matter issues (Which is awesome, more celebrities should) but people started coming up with theories on her lyrics...?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm going to live under the rock with @holyguacamole79 and @madamerwin.  I like some of her big hits okay, but don't really get the huge deal about her in general.  Yet, even I, clicked on an article link to find out what was so amazing about her Lemonade debut.  But all it talked about was how she outed in her music that JayZ had cheated on her.

Airing one's dirty laundry to the world does not sound "amazing" or "stunning" to me and makes me even less likely to want to watch it, so I still don't understand.  To be fair, I obviously haven't seen it.  I might if it was normal video length, but 50 minutes is too big a commitment for me also. 

Oh!  And I heard about the "mix up" between Rachel Roy and Rachel Ray on one of those nightly talk shows.  I could not stop laughing!!!  I don't know who Rachel Roy is or what she looks like, but Rachel Ray and JayZ?  That would be totally bizarre.

I wonder what Rachel Ray thinks about it?  If she amused or annoyed?

The thing is her dirty laundry was already aired when Solange (her sister) kicked him in that elevator while she just sat there and watched it happen. The whole point is basically acknowledging he cheated but in the end shes just hanging out with her family, like they're over it.

• Is it possible that JayZ didn't cheat and her lyrics were just a general theme that black women deal with? I mean, most artists don't sing songs that are 100% true or relate directly to their lives.

I hadn't heard anything about the whole video/album and the themes that were in it regarding the black community and specifically women that @Fran1985  
    had mentioned. Which is sad because it sounds like it would be important to hear. Now everyone is focusing on JayZ when Beyonce was the one who made the album. Who cares if he cheated? Obviously they decided to work through it or they want to at least pretend like they did. That's their business.

I am not a fan of Beyonce at all really. This whole thing has already annoyed me because it sounds like the point of her album/video was missed.

• The big deal is that a brilliant artist has made a powerful work that transcends its medium and genre. 

Totally cool if it's not your thing, but it is absolutely a big thing. 
  • Fran nailed it on the head. I watched the album, and I thought it was very powerful. Yet, it all got lost in the whole "Did Jay Z cheat?" rumor mill. FWIW, I don't think that the album is addressing Jay Z cheating per se, I think it is a general theme which also touches upon her Dad's cheating. 

One of the most powerful moments was when she had Travon Martin's, Michael Brown's, and Eric Gardner's mom's hold up a picture of their deceased sons in the video.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I watched it, and thought it was very well done artistically. I prefer more "pop" Beyonce, so I didn't really love the songs in it though.

I'm in the camp that this isn't specifically about her life/JayZ, just generally speaking about issues. She seems too private to put that out there, and they are both very smart business wise so I'm sure they realized the assumptions that would be made, and are reaping the benefits of the added interest in it because of that. 
  • emmaaa said:
    Is it possible that JayZ didn't cheat and her lyrics were just a general theme that black women deal with? I mean, most artists don't sing songs that are 100% true or relate directly to their lives.

I hadn't heard anything about the whole video/album and the themes that were in it regarding the black community and specifically women that @Fran1985  
    had mentioned. Which is sad because it sounds like it would be important to hear. Now everyone is focusing on JayZ when Beyonce was the one who made the album. Who cares if he cheated? Obviously they decided to work through it or they want to at least pretend like they did. That's their business.

I am not a fan of Beyonce at all really. This whole thing has already annoyed me because it sounds like the point of her album/video was missed

Google "lemonade review" 
    https://www.google.com/amp/consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/beyonces-lemonade-a-lesson-on-appreciating-art-that-wasnt-made-for-you/amp/?client=safari#

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/ew/article/2016/04/27/beyonce-lemonade-ew-review?client=safari#

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/beyonce-lemonade-20160425

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-beyonces-lemonade-reclaims-rocks-black-female-legacy-20160426

Although I have heard stuff about the jayz/Becky drama, most of what I've seen has been about the music and political impact it has. Maybe broaden what you read take in a bit? (Not meant as a dig- it took me a while to fine tune where I get my information from to make sure I was getting a well rounded look) all you have to do to find good articles about what it means for black America and women is google the word "lemonade" or lemonade review" 

• emmaaa said:
    Is it possible that JayZ didn't cheat and her lyrics were just a general theme that black women deal with? I mean, most artists don't sing songs that are 100% true or relate directly to their lives.

I am not a fan of Beyonce at all really. This whole thing has already annoyed me because it sounds like the point of her album/video was missed

Google "lemonade review" 
    https://www.google.com/amp/consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/beyonces-lemonade-a-lesson-on-appreciating-art-that-wasnt-made-for-you/amp/?client=safari#

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/ew/article/2016/04/27/beyonce-lemonade-ew-review?client=safari#

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/beyonce-lemonade-20160425

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/how-beyonces-lemonade-reclaims-rocks-black-female-legacy-20160426

Although I have heard stuff about the jayz/Becky drama, most of what I've seen has been about the music and political impact it has. Maybe broaden what you read take in a bit? (Not meant as a dig- it took me a while to fine tune where I get my information from to make sure I was getting a well rounded look) all you have to do to find good articles about what it means for black America and women is google the word "lemonade" or lemonade review" 

It's not necessarily that the sources I see are bad, it's just that I didn't actively look for information or a review because I'm not a Beyonce fan normally so when the news came out about the album, I didn't give it a second thought. 

Most of the sources I look at for news are covering the Presidential races right now and the more "social" sites (like People and Buzzfeed) all are talking about the Rachel Roy/JayZ/Becky drama and not the whole point of the album.

I am glad that you brought up the themes and that it had a lot more meaning to it than cheating husbands because otherwise I wouldn't know.

• Maybe it's because I live out of the the American Politic bubble but all I've heard about the album is the themes of being a black woman in American and the reactions thereof to that. I've only seen cursory details about the supposed Jay-Z drama.

Most of the reviews I've seen have talked about the use of imagery, poetry, prose and music to make it an extremely compelling commentary about what it is like to be a black woman in America.
  • Visually, musically and lyrically I appreciate Beyoncé's Lemonade.  I respect it and understand why she uses this medium to get a powerful message across.  However, the very public expression of her husband's adultery is not something I agree with and I feel like it diminishes the effect.  To me, when I think of female empowerment, this is not how I would want it articulated.

This is the man who's been her partner for many years and is the father of her child.  If you're in this type of relationship, you either try to work past it and heal -- staying together - - or you end it.  I'm not sure where 
    Beyoncé and Jay-Z stand, but I can't imagine that the following is productive for their relationship, especially since it's only one side of the story.  It could even be interpreted as an ultimatum.

"You remind me of my father, A magician. Able to exist in two places at once. In the tradition of men in my blood, you come home at 3am and lie to me. What are you hiding...?"

"So what are you going to say at my funeral now that you've killed me? Here lies the body of the love of my life whose heart I broke without a gun to my head. Here lies the mother of my children both loving and dead. Rest in peace my true love who I took for granted. Most bomb p*ssy."

“If you try this shit again, you’re gon’ lose your wife.”

Again, I respect the candor, the passion and the anger.  Perhaps it was important to make it incredibly personal and also impossible to separate out her own personal plight from that of others.  Or make her personal experience relatable for others and connect it to something more universal.  But for me there are certain aspects of life that should be protected and attempted to be held sacred, even if -- especially if -- the marriage is [in essence] over.
  • I'm going to live under the rock with @holyguacamole79 and @madamerwin.  I like some of her big hits okay, but don't really get the huge deal about her in general.  Yet, even I, clicked on an article link to find out what was so amazing about her Lemonade debut.  But all it talked about was how she outed in her music that JayZ had cheated on her.

Airing one's dirty laundry to the world does not sound "amazing" or "stunning" to me and makes me even less likely to want to watch it, so I still don't understand.  To be fair, I obviously haven't seen it.  I might if it was normal video length, but 50 minutes is too big a commitment for me also. 

Oh!  And I heard about the "mix up" between Rachel Roy and Rachel Ray on one of those nightly talk shows.  I could not stop laughing!!!  I don't know who Rachel Roy is or what she looks like, but Rachel Ray and JayZ?  That would be totally bizarre.

Thanks to all the PPs who gave more info.  I will now side-eye the article, that was at the top-front-and-center of Yahoo's main page, that implied the majority of the video was about Jay-Z cheating.  It said exactly zero about the social issues she was addressing.

I still probably won't watch it.  But at least now I understand better why it has caused a stir.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Thanks to all the PPs who gave more info.  I will now side-eye the article, that was at the top-front-and-center of Yahoo's main page, that implied the majority of the video was about Jay-Z cheating.  It said exactly zero about the social issues she was addressing.

I still probably won't watch it.  But at least now I understand better why it has caused a stir.

Ditto! Hearing what it is really about gives me a better understanding of why it was a big deal. But like @short+sassy I probably won't watch it. Mainly because I have the attention span of a chipmunk when it comes to movies/tv shows etc. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mollybarker11mollybarker11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    I'm a couple days late to the convo but it's such an important one I want to pop in! Another article suggestion for those looking to understand the album and its themes a bit better is Beyoncé’s Lemonade isn’t a breakup album, it’s a black album

The video isn't just one long music video, it's a short film that incorporates an album's worth of songs alongside the poetic works of Warsan Shire. And the album isn't just airing dirty laundry about a messy breakup, it takes you through all the complex emotions that go along with a marriage broken and mended.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards