Chit Chat

Re: Bye bye Ted

• Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    The only guy worse than Trump. Thank goodness...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member

Creepy Mofo
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    But his creepiness will, sadly, never leave our minds.
  • Options
    He is so creeeepy! So is Carly.

• Options
    Sources are now reporting that Kasich will also be suspending his campaign.
  • Options
    Another one bites the dust. Sounds like the GOP is conceding to Trump being the nominee. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Another one bites the dust. Sounds like the GOP is conceding to Trump being the nominee. 
    And now I'm seriously scared.    I'm not a big fan of the presumptive Democratic nominee either.

Can I start donating to Paul Ryan's 2020 election campaign??? 
  • Options
    Someone at the GOP changed must have changed Kasich's mind for him considering this was his campaign's response last night:

and

“Tonight’s results are not going to alter Gov. Kasich’s campaign plans. Our strategy has been and continues to be one that involves winning the nomination at an open convention. The comments from Trump, on the verge of winning in Indiana, heighten the differences between Governor Kasich and his positive, inclusive approach and the disrespectful ramblings from Donald Trump,” the statement said.
  • Options
    Potato/Chocolate 2016!
  • Options
    I'm waiting to see who will emerge as a dominant fringe third party candidate. Seriously. I think there are going to be enough people pissed on both sides that it will shock me if there aren't some independents that come out of the woodworks once the primaries are all done. Not much hope of success, I think, but if there were an election year to try to run as an independent, this seems like it would be it. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    edited May 2016
    There are at least 40% Independents in this country, most of them can't stand HRC. (there's a reason they're independent). This is a year where people are sick of the establishment. At the contested convention, if they hand her the nomination, there is a big likelihood Trump will be president. Also there's the risk that the FBI are going to leak info during the general if she is not indicted (I know it seems like a conspiracy theory and I wonder myself if they'll ever get on with it) It's a no win situation if they are the nominees, not only because they are separating the parties farther but we will have more war more incarceration and no progress on green energy, among who knows what else. Can we just fast forward 4 years?  =\
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeow said:
    There are at least 40% Independents in this country, most of them can't stand HRC. (there's a reason they're independent). This is a year where people are sick of the establishment. At the contested convention, if they hand her the nomination, there is a big likelihood Trump will be president. Also there's the risk that the FBI are going to leak info during the general if she is not indicted (I know it seems like a conspiracy theory and I wonder myself if they'll ever get on with it) It's a no win situation if they are the nominees, not only because they are separating the parties farther but we will have more war more incarceration and no progress on green energy, among who knows what else. Can we just fast forward 4 years?  =\

"Hand her" the nomination she has earned by winning more votes? Sure, pretend a convention with a clear winner is contested if it makes you feel better. 

I I don't think there's any chance of a dominant third party candidate this year. Bernie tried that and failed, and Trump is a classic third party candidate running from the inside strategically. I'm sure Jill Stein will pick up some of Bernie's voters, but I don't think she will do as well as Ralph Nader even. 
  • Options
    Half of me is somewhat hopeful that Clinton gets elected and just sucks so we can see a better election in 4 years.

I've said it before - I think trying to pick a leader is like trying to feed my kids.  I can put out a salad, grilled chicken, lots of veggies and bulgar on my 5 yo's plate and tell her that it's the best thing for her.   If she doesn't eat it then it hasn't done any good.

I'm a conservative person but the more the Republican party tries to  force leaders that are extremely right wing the less likely they are to be met with a great deal of support.    
  • Options
    MCmeow said:

"Hand her" the nomination she has earned by winning more votes? Sure, pretend a convention with a clear winner is contested if it makes you feel better. 

I I don't think there's any chance of a dominant third party candidate this year. Bernie tried that and failed, and Trump is a classic third party candidate running from the inside strategically. I'm sure Jill Stein will pick up some of Bernie's voters, but I don't think she will do as well as Ralph Nader even. 
    How do you come up with the 40% figure? Have you noticed that the three remaining candidates all claim to be beating each other in the polls? The Democratic Convention will not be contested because there will be a clear winner. 

• Options
    banana468 said:
    Half of me is somewhat hopeful that Clinton gets elected and just sucks so we can see a better election in 4 years.
    This is what I see happening. Hillary in 2016 followed by a true moderate Republican in 2020. But only if the GOP learns this time around and stops making their moderates become fake conservatives during Presidential years.

I agree the 40% independent is inflated.  

As of October 2014 , Gallup polling found that 43% of Americans identified as Democrats and 39% as Republicans, when party "leaners" were included; those figures changed to 41% Democratic and 42% Republican after the November 2014 elections.

Prior to Bush's two terms, that number was accurate, but the nation is far more polarized today than it ever was, so Presidential election strategy is now more about getting out the vote for the base and less about wining the independent vote.  But with Trump's nomination, nothing has been business as usual so who the hell know what will happen!

• Options
    @spockforprez -I love that GIF.

• Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    banana468 said:
    This is what I see happening. Hillary in 2016 followed by a true moderate Republican in 2020. But only if the GOP learns this time around and stops making their moderates become fake conservatives during Presidential years.

I agree the 40% independent is inflated.  

As of October 2014 , Gallup polling found that 43% of Americans identified as Democrats and 39% as Republicans, when party "leaners" were included; those figures changed to 41% Democratic and 42% Republican after the November 2014 elections.

Prior to Bush's two terms, that number was accurate, but the nation is far more polarized today than it ever was, so Presidential election strategy is now more about getting out the vote for the base and less about wining the independent vote.  But with Trump's nomination, nothing has been business as usual so who the hell know what will happen!

http://www.gallup.com/poll/180440/new-record-political-independents.aspx
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    edited May 2016

MCmeow said:

--Box-?

I know how what I said can be controversial. But yeah, there are over 40% independents and that number grows every year. http://www.gallup.com/poll/180440/new-record-political-independents.aspx

But after the voter suppression in multiple states (there are lawsuits in AZ, NY, MA, maybe some others) and super delegates giving Clinton a head start, obviously people feel that way. My mayor Bill De blasio almost supported Bernie but was pressured not to, another anonymous super delegate came out and said they were pressured because of the resources of the DNC. NYC has 3mil independent voters and we have the strictest voting laws in the country. So that's the sentiment we have. Hopefully we can someday get to a place where there are open primaries everywhere. Anyway as I said in another post, I'm very opinionated in politics so I'll stay out of it from now on.

P.S: I don't think it's ok for a republican to run as a democratic candidate. Being for war, for fracking, pro-privatized prisons, pro-death sentence is not the Democratic Party.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeow said:

MCmeow said:

--Box-?

I know how what I said can be controversial. But yeah, there are over 40% independents and that number grows every year. http://www.gallup.com/poll/180440/new-record-political-independents.aspx

But after the voter suppression in multiple states (there are lawsuits in AZ, NY, MA, maybe some others) and super delegates giving Clinton a head start, obviously people feel that way. My mayor Bill De blasio almost supported Bernie but was pressured not to, another anonymous super delegate came out and said they were pressured because of the resources of the DNC. NYC has 3mil independent voters and we have the strictest voting laws in the country. So that's the sentiment we have. Hopefully we can someday get to a place where there are open primaries everywhere. Anyway as I said in another post, I'm very opinionated in politics so I'll stay out of it from now on.

P.S: I don't think it's ok for a republican to run as a democratic candidate. Being for war, for fracking, pro-privatized prisons, pro-death sentence is not the Democratic Party.
    Not to mention identifying yourself in a poll is one thing, voter behavior is another. My BIL is a die hard independent who votes for the Demorat every time. 
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    MCmeow said:

MCmeow said:

--Box-?

Hahahahah. You're delusional. Hillary has been a Democrat her entire career. You may not like it, but it is reality. Bernie has not. That's the fight you are picking?

cry me a river about people who didn't want to join a party not being able to participate. And boo hoo poor disenfranchised Mayor DeBlasio who is a grown ass man and a powerful politician who does what he wants.

i can see why people like Bernie, and why not all of his supporters would vote for Hillary, but this nonsense just makes y'all sound nuts. 
  • Options
    MCmeow said:

MCmeow said:

--Box-?

Hahahahah. You're delusional. Hillary has been a Democrat her entire career. You may not like it, but it is reality. Bernie has not. That's the fight you are picking?

cry me a river about people who didn't want to join a party not being able to participate. And boo hoo poor disenfranchised Mayor DeBlasio who is a grown ass man and a powerful politician who does what he wants. 
    Just to play devil's advocate here... Hillary Clinton has indeed identified as a Democrat for most (all?) of her career, but what is means to be a democrat has changed drastically in the last 60 or so years. While she most definitely identifies as a democrat, I think it's fair to argue that she is pretty centrist in reality, though the battle with Bernie is forcing her to take more liberal stances. Bernie may not have identified as a democrat for his entire career, but his stances on most issues fall more in line was what has historically been considered Democratic (Party).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    I broke my own rule and I'm responding. It seems like Starmoon likes to hunt all my posts about Bernie and react irrationally towards them, ignoring the actual issues I present. Voter suppression is not a delusional idea because it is happening, stop watching CNN, in my own state hundreds of thousands of voters were purged. It's a real thing that is happening and I have been watching the public court hearings live. Yes Hillary identified herself as a Dem but the meaning of Democrat has changed and it's nothing to be proud of. Since after the Reagan era starting with Bill Clinton Democrats moved to the right, causing republicans to move to the right as well. Watch a debate between Bush Sr and Reagan and you'll see how similar they are to modern day democrats. My point remains that this is a year where people are rejecting the status quo, on the right unfortunately with Trump and to the left with Bernie. Of course my mayor needs some damn courage and it's shameful. But does it not bother you that politicians are being threatened to support someone? Does anything controversial she has done bother you? This is not about the election, whether she wins or not, her issues are still a big problem.

Anyway I know Starmoon will respond negatively to this as well, but when people don't see suffering they can't relate. I'll leave a link to this video if you want to learn more about this point of view, have an open mind and see both sides (and I'll try to keep my word on not continuing this and be the bigger person):
    https://youtu.be/WN2LrFmepkc
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeow said:

MCmeow said:

--Box-?

Just to play devil's advocate here... Hillary Clinton has indeed identified as a Democrat for most (all?) of her career, but what is means to be a democrat has changed drastically in the last 60 or so years. While she most definitely identifies as a democrat, I think it's fair to argue that she is pretty centrist in reality, though the battle with Bernie is forcing her to take more liberal stances. Bernie may not have identified as a democrat for his entire career, but his stances on most issues fall more in line was what has historically been considered Democratic (Party).
    Yes, agree. If elected Hillary will be just to the left of center on most issues. Frankly I think she would love to be more left but is a pragmatist and understands that as a country we move forward at a certain pace. I like Bernie but a President cannot accomplish most of what he wants to accomplish, especially in the current political climate.

I am a Hillary supporter. I find the constant smears against her very frustrating, especially the ones that are not true but are aired constantly. For example, if Hillary was going to be indicted for anything she did as Secretary of State she already would have been indicted. The idea that the DOJ is going to wait until she is the nominee to indict her is a completely creditless conspiracy theory. And frankly, if she (a lawyer) and the many legal brains she has access to thought she would be indicted she wouldn't be running. 

People have been watching too much Scandal. 
    I think the bolded is a dangerous assumption. I don't think there is some conspiracy and the DOJ is purposefully withholding information in order to take her down after she is nominated, but given how bureaucracy works, there is a very real chance that their investigation will drag on and there could be an indictment down the line. That would basically hand the election to Trump.

I am a Bernie supporter, but I will support Hillary if/when she wins the nomination. But I do fear that the DOJ will complete their investigation and release damning information after she is nominated.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    MCmeow said:
    I broke my own rule and I'm responding. It seems like Starmoon likes to hunt all my posts about Bernie and react irrationally towards them, ignoring the actual issues I present. Voter suppression is not a delusional idea because it is happening, stop watching CNN, in my own state hundreds of thousands of voters were purged. It's a real thing that is happening and I have been watching the public court hearings live. Yes Hillary identified herself as a Dem but the meaning of Democrat has changed and it's nothing to be proud of. Since after the Reagan era starting with Bill Clinton Democrats moved to the right, causing republicans to move to the right as well. Watch a debate between Bush Sr and Reagan and you'll see how similar they are to modern day democrats. My point remains that this is a year where people are rejecting the status quo, on the right unfortunately with Trump and to the left with Bernie. Of course my mayor needs some damn courage and it's shameful. But does it not bother you that politicians are being threatened to support someone? Does anything controversial she has done bother you? This is not about the election, whether she wins or not, her issues are still a big problem.

Anyway I know Starmoon will respond negatively to this as well, but when people don't see suffering they can't relate. I'll leave a link to this video if you want to learn more about this point of view, have an open mind and see both sides (and I'll try to keep my word on not continuing this and be the bigger person):
    https://youtu.be/WN2LrFmepkc
    Ummm since when is it hunting to respond to your comments in the same thread? I'm not like finding you on Food & Cakes to post Hillary gifs. Also congrats on being the bigger person? I did not realize debating with someone about a subject that interests you would be a problem. 

I dont believe that politicians are being threatened. I don't watch CNN. I am not confused. But go ahead and assume I don't know suffering. 

If your point is that Hillary is a centrist and the party has moved to the right, I actually fully agree with that. It's the suggestion that she isn't a democrat that I find irrational. You don't get to determine that just because you don't like where the party has gone she's really not a member. And a majority of people disagree. It's just a silly inflammatory way to raise a valid point. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards