Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Guests with Celiac's

Do I have to find a second caterer, who will prepare X amounts of meals specifically for guests with Celiacs or do I just trust that the original caterer won't cross contaminate anything.

I was also thinking about doing a second, small, gluten-free cake.

Re: Guests with Celiac's

• My sister has Celiac's.  She was fine at daughter's wedding.  When the cake was served, she just scraped off the thick buttercream frosting and ate that without the cake part.  She loved the frosting, and used to do this with cake when she was a child and we didn't know about Celiac's.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    My sister has Celiac's.  She was fine at daughter's wedding.  When the cake was served, she just scraped off the thick buttercream frosting and ate that without the cake part.  She loved the frosting, and used to do this with cake when she was a child and we didn't know about Celiac's.
    For most people with celiacs, they would not be able to do this. Those with severe allergies just need to know ingredients. Most caterers can prepare food without cross contamination as long as they know in advance what the allergies are. Let your caterer know and they can deal with it. As someone with a severe anaphylaxis allergy, I never expect my hosts to accommodate my allergy. I look after me and as long as food is labelled and the kitchen is aware, I'm fine. 
  • Talk with your caterer about keeping things separate and labeled. When I met with my caterer, my first question was if they were able to do my entire menu gluten free as my mom can't have gluten. They said they handle that request frequently and have a system in place to prevent cross-contamination. As long as you offer a non-breaded meat (think basic steak/london broil, etc) and simple veggies without fancy sauces (many sauces are thickened with flour) as some of your options you should be ok. Biggest thing is make sure things are labeled and that your catering staff can answer questions like "is there flour in this?"

As for the cake, I would ask your gluten free friends if they have a particular baker they'd recommend. I can tell you from experience that if someone isn't used to baking gluten free, it shows in the final product. My mom and I ended up doing tastings and finally she decided she wanted to make her own cake since none of the bakers we tried measured up to her cakes. 
  • Thank you for all of the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards