Registry and Gift Forum

Is this tacky/rude?

Is it tacky/rude to put on a registry that you don't want gift cards from certain places?  Our registry is slightly complicated because my fiance is Canadian and lives in Canada and I am in the states and will be moving to Canada after the wedding. Because half of the people coming to our wedding are from Canada (we are getting married in the states), because of many factors we set up registries in both countries.  Yesterday as I was updating our registries, I realized that it is possible for us to receive gift cards to some of the American stores/websites that will be completely useless after we get married.  I feel so dumb, I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  Is there a way to politely ask to not receive gift cards from certain places?  Thanks!

Re: Is this tacky/rude?

• Why not tell this to your Mum or someone in the family and pass it via word of mouth?

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Is it tacky/rude to put on a registry that you don't want gift cards from certain places?  Our registry is slightly complicated because my fiance is Canadian and lives in Canada and I am in the states and will be moving to Canada after the wedding. Because half of the people coming to our wedding are from Canada (we are getting married in the states), because of many factors we set up registries in both countries.  Yesterday as I was updating our registries, I realized that it is possible for us to receive gift cards to some of the American stores/websites that will be completely useless after we get married.  I feel so dumb, I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  Is there a way to politely ask to not receive gift cards from certain places?  Thanks!

SIB:

Agree with PP, have your mom or someone spread this word of mouth, it is rude to tell people what not to get you because it implies that you are expecting gifts in the first place. However, if someone asks you mother if a gift card from XYZ would be a good gift she can let them know that you wouldn't be able to use the card where you live. I think they have websites now where you can sell gift card balances or trade them now, coinstar even got in on it.
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Also, could you hold onto the gift cards until birthdays/holidays, and use them to purchase gifts that get shipped to the US?

k thnx bye

• TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    You could also not register. I would also check the store policies, we have a lot of American chains up here and you may be able to use American gift cards. Also, if you are moving close to the border, you can just shop at the preferred store.

You could do also registry for Amazon, you can use Amazon.com if you live in Canada (the customs fees and exchange isn't too bad). It's in bad taste to assume you are getting gifts. 

ETA: You can often use gift cards online. You would just have to pay for the shipping which, depending how they ship, can be expensive. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards