May 2017 Weddings

We're going to look at our venue tomorrow!!

Hello, hello, hello!

I'm just super excited that we're going to look at our top venue choice tomorrow and just had to share!

We're planning on May 20, 2017 and I know a few of you are too!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: We're going to look at our venue tomorrow!!

• Exciting! We just put the deposit down for our venue yesterday and it feels great to have it locked down.
  • Exciting! We just put the deposit down for our venue yesterday and it feels great to have it locked down.
    That's awesome! When's the big day?

Unfortunately we're back to the drawing board...the place was more beautiful than we could have imagined, but the price tag was nearly laughable on our budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Unfortunately we're back to the drawing board...the place was more beautiful than we could have imagined, but the price tag was nearly laughable on our budget.
    May 13th! Yeah, this whole wedding process is insane, I knew it would be expensive but I really had no idea how expensive it really is. What kind of venue are you guys looking for?

May 13th! Yeah, this whole wedding process is insane, I knew it would be expensive but I really had no idea how expensive it really is. What kind of venue are you guys looking for?

Less than a year!

Prices are insane right? 
    ..we have 3 other places in mind, 2 are all inclusive (DJ included) for about the same as just the rental fee for the other place, and the other is gorgeous and inexpensive but is just for use of the grounds and we would have to bring in and set up everything else the morning of and I really think it would end up being around the same as the other 2.

We're looking for a golf course or garden type setting, that way we can have it outdoorsy and whimsical (but not rustic [which I have nothing against for other people, it's just not my thing]) with minimal decorating involved..we live where people just dream of getting married (including us apparently) so places are filling up fast even more than a year out.

What about you guys?? What is your venue like? (I'm sorry, I just love talking about everyone's wedding plans!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yes everything is turning out so expensive! But I live in an expensive city so =\
    We booked our venue on February. Catering and drinks and staff are included too which is awesome because their food choices are pretty great and doesn't seem like those typical wedding menus (Sriracha fried chicken and waffle hors d'oeuvres?!, and other fancier things). It's in a cultural center, botanical garden in Staten Island. Our ceremony is in a pretty garden, the cocktail hour in a Chinese pavilion (There's koi fish too! It's so beautiful, too bad we'll be taking formal photos during then), then the reception is a few steps away in a tented location overlooking trees down hill. We love it so much because it's natural but also has 19th century architecture on the site (We're junior architects so we needed that). The land used to be a home for aged sailors and now they have arts programs and a farm and the Chinese pavilion. It's perfect and wasn't as expensive as the other options I've seen for NYC.  
    Good luck in your search!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My goodness that sounds gorgeous!! (and yummy!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My venue is outdoor, a 130 year old estate on an old tomato farm but it's Southern California so lots of trees and cacti. We got it for the entire weekend so we'll keep some family there and have the rehearsal dinner there as well. It comes with a full service wedding planner which is nice. I'm worried about rain, we normally never get it in May in San Diego but it rained a bit this year, fingers crossed! 
    I'm not into the rustic thing either but everyone has that in their mind since the venue is technically a farm. FI and I have already had to turn down "naked" cake and burlap decor suggestions, SOS. 

• My venue is outdoor, a 130 year old estate on an old tomato farm but it's Southern California so lots of trees and cacti. We got it for the entire weekend so we'll keep some family there and have the rehearsal dinner there as well. It comes with a full service wedding planner which is nice. I'm worried about rain, we normally never get it in May in San Diego but it rained a bit this year, fingers crossed! 
    I'm not into the rustic thing either but everyone has that in their mind since the venue is technically a farm. FI and I have already had to turn down "naked" cake and burlap decor suggestions, SOS. 

Your venue sounds awesome! But I can totally see how minds are going straight to rustic..what is your theme/scheme (if you don't mind my asking)?

I've been to 3 "rustic" weddings (the only 3 weddings I've been to as an adult), and I have 3 invitations on my fridge with rustic as the theme...I'm not even sure if I'm not into it or if I'm just really tired of seeing burlap and mason jars..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Your venue sounds awesome! But I can totally see how minds are going straight to rustic..what is your theme/scheme (if you don't mind my asking)?

I've been to 3 "rustic" weddings (the only 3 weddings I've been to as an adult), and I have 3 invitations on my fridge with rustic as the theme...I'm not even sure if I'm not into it or if I'm just really tired of seeing burlap and mason jars..
    We don't really have a theme but I do want to work with the venue's look. It's covered in palm trees and cacti so it's not like your traditional farm in other places. I want to keep it as classic as possible with organic elements, black, ivory and lots of spring flowers. However, it seems people want you to have a theme and if it keeps them from thinking "rustic everything" then we would rather lean more towards a modern southwest or tropical, I have issues with making those an actual theme though. FI is from Peru so I do want some of those elements in there as well. 
    Clearly, I just don't know how to articulate the style I'm going for! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards