Not Engaged Yet

Tuesday

13»

Re: Tuesday

• @wink0erin  glad today is better :)

@TwoDimes It's funny, I'm more familiar with Keith Whitley than that song. I can't listen {at work} but now I'm curious :)
    I love when songs just happen to be perfect with your life!
  • @AuroraRose41 Man I hope they back off. They have no right to tell you how to live.  

• @aurorarose41 - Where is your FI on this?  He should be setting some serious boundaries with crap comments like that.  If he is and they are ignoring them it is time to start distancing them out until they get the picture.
  • @AuroraRose41 - I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with the future in-laws. It really sounds like space is what you need for a while. I'd go so far as to not answer calls and not make any plans with them. Get refreshed a little. Your tolerance for their BS will hopefully go back up a little with it.

I can't even imagine trying to tell my kid what they should name their non-existent child.

• Thanks @wink0erin, @minskat30, and @AlPacina. It's refreshing to hear that I am not crazy for being so upset about this. @minskat30 FI has brought this up to them before, and it seems like they get the hint for a little while, and then start bringing it up again. I just got off the phone with FI and he calmed me down and told me that he would handle it, to the point of telling them he would get a vasectomy before naming a child Loki to really get that across. He also had no idea how much his mother tries to pressure everyone she meets who gets pregnant (or who is considering it, even in the very distant future) about having a natural birth only (including no epidural), and that upset him to hear how she had been pressuring me on that. He even brought up a great point that I hadn't considered until now, which is that he is really good at remaining calm in situations that would stress most people out, and that is mainly because of having to deal with his parents. He told me he would have gone crazy growing up with them if he didn't learn how to remain calm. I seriously have no idea how FI is their son, because he would never do any of the shit that his parents do. 

• @AuroraRose41 PPs have said it all, but hugs to you! I like @speakeasy14 's suggestion of just staying quiet - that's a tough thing for me to do at times like that but sometimes it seems to work better than arguing back.
  • @speakeasy14 I'm sorry you have to deal with that too. The bitch in me wants to adopt a girl only and never have a son, or not have children at all, just to spite the whole "you must have a son" thing. Undecided on naming a pet Loki (FI and I have actually considered that too!). 

• @AuroraRose41 -glad he has a handle on it (and them). The epidural comments would have me livid. And Loki?!? I'm pretty Danish/Scandinavian and my reaction is a bunch of "nope, nope, nope".
  • @PamBeesly524 thanks for the hug! I definitely need it. And normally I have either politely disagreed or remained quiet, but I know myself well enough to know that I will blow up at them and say things I regret if I keep feeling like my opinions/decisions on my own life don't matter. Especially when that opinion or decision is something that FI and I talked extensively about and came up with together, and are unified on it. At least him and I are on the same page when it comes to this.  

• @minskat30 right? The epidural comments and the no c-section thing are infuriating to me. If I do get pregnant in the future, then I want to do everything I can to make sure the proper medicines are on hand to prevent me from bleeding out to death, and most doctors recommend scheduling a c-section to do that in my case. So saying that to me is basically saying "Having a natural birth is so important I don't care if you die in the process!". And when I mentioned that even doctors have recommended doing so for that reason, she completely dismissed it. 

And yea, Viking-Irish descent here (my last name means "Kin to Vikings" in Irish), and that's a whole bunch of nope for me too. 

• minskat30 said:
    @aurorarose41 - As someone currently weighing the very imminent pros and cons on delivery methods and pain management I have to say there will always be a camp of people who firmly believe that they have the right answer.  Unfortunately, a lot of natural birthers feel like they get a gold star for a natural birth.  It makes for a bad reputation for them.  I would love to do a natural birth.  I'm not sure that is in the cards for me though.  The larger point?  A natural birth, a medicated birth, a water birth, a surgical birth...whatever, so long as baby and mother are as safe and healthy as they can be.   
    QFT. That is 100% how I feel. 

Also I hope you are having a much better day today by the way!

• @alpacina so that's where Burning Love went? I started watching the first season when they used to air it on the Yahoo home page and then they stopped so I just assumed it was over. I want to see the rest of them now!

@misskittydanger Seriously, I just saw a commercial yesterday for a fridge with a giant LED touchscreen on the door and I was like WHY?! So unnecessary, I don't even know what you'd do with that. Sounds good about the home inspection, hopefully they figure out the deal with the flooring.

@eilis1228 good luck at the interview!

@aurorarose41 that is some the most BSC shit I've ever heard. Not to overreact here, but I'd almost cut them out entirely. I HAAAAATE my in-laws and DH is on the same page. He doesn't invite them over, he doesn't make us go over their house, he barely speaks to them and honestly life is great since we're on the same page about that. Just telling his mom "don't be crazy" would never work- she's way too crazy for that. lol

• @jenna8984  My uncle who does flooring was there and they figure the beam underneath may be reason for hump. It's not a huge issue and they figure it'll fixed once furniture is put down.
    Fridge we saw had soda stream, could make soft serve ice cream and a bunch of other stuff. Price matched the amount of stuff and had wifi capabilities.
    UHM WHAT!?
  • minskat30 said:
    @aurorarose41 - As someone currently weighing the very imminent pros and cons on delivery methods and pain management I have to say there will always be a camp of people who firmly believe that they have the right answer.  Unfortunately, a lot of natural birthers feel like they get a gold star for a natural birth.  It makes for a bad reputation for them.  I would love to do a natural birth.  I'm not sure that is in the cards for me though.  The larger point?  A natural birth, a medicated birth, a water birth, a surgical birth...whatever, so long as baby and mother are as safe and healthy as they can be.   
    This.
  • @eilis1228 I prefer your definition of QFT and will now only think that when I see the abbreviation. 

• @AuroraRose41  Tbh I'm appalled that your in-laws think they know all. If you do have kid(s) they should know it's not their choice and they aren't doctors.
    Also ... everything @minskat30  said!
  • @AuroraRose41 omg I'd tell them very impolitely to stfu (but that's just my personality). I'm glad you and FI are on the same page. P.S. I have a dog named Loki and also lets do a NEY east coast/New York area g2g soon now that you're here!
  • Thanks everyone. I am actually seriously considering cutting them out, or at least threatening that any child of ours will not know them if it comes down to it. I would hate to do that, but they are pushing me that way. 

@eilis1228 I love that and can't see anything else now! 

@untouchablets yes! I am definitely up for a G2G :).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards