Chit Chat
Options

Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

I was active on a board years ago that had one of these and it was great.

The way my hair is falling, I think my ponytail is too high and I look oddly 80s. I need a neon scrunchy.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

• Options

I keep falling asleep at my desk.  And it's 2 days before a Holiday weekend, not even the Friday yet. 

• Options
    I think I'm losing my interest in reading. I've hated the last 5 books I've read, all of which were critically acclaimed, 3 of which were by authors I love. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options

H is traveling to see his family and all I can think about it going to bed early.

My hair/face are abnormally oily. I did not think this was possible on hormone replacement therapy. It sucks.

Do I want Chipotle or pizza for dinner?

• Options

H is traveling to see his family and all I can think about it going to bed early.

My hair/face are abnormally oily. I did not think this was possible on hormone replacement therapy. It sucks.

Do I want Chipotle or pizza for dinner?

Chipotle...definitely Chipotle
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Agreed, definitely Chipotle. 

We moved into the new house on Sunday (first time home buyers!) and we're still figuring out a routine. We have a TON of work to do on it (I'm painting every room and the kitchen cabinets) and we're trying to find a balance between working on the things that need to get done right away and relaxing/exploring the new city/actually enjoying the house and neighborhood. We also aren't working for the summer for the first time ever so we just have all this time, and lots to do and we have no idea how to a mange our time. 
  • Options
    I really, really, really want Gillian Anderson to be the new Bond.  I hate Bond movies, but I would see that opening night.  I love X-files and I think she'd be bad-ass as a lady Bond.
  • Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    I keep thinking today is Friday. This week is dragging.

We are going camping on the coast this weekend, and we have already packed most of our supplies. Still need to get food and clothes organized tonight. 

I finally tried the bahn mi's at this Vietnamese bakery near my house last weekend, and hot damn, were they good. I think I am going to pick some up for dinner tonight, since we don't want to cook anything tonight and our kitchen is a mess from packing.

ETA

Pizza comes to me and I do not need to wear a bra to accept pizza. Therefore I will always vote pizza.

I feel like the only person in the world who feels pretty indifferent toward pizza. We have two delivery options near my house: Pizza and Thai. I always vote for Thai.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I wish we could get delivery at our apartment. There was only 1 pizza place that delivered but it only delivered on Friday and Saturday nights and now it closed... I can't wait to move to a house that has delivery!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I need a hair cute like yesterday badly.  But I'm dragging my heels because during my post-baby not-ever-leaving-the-house period, my stylist left the salon I'd been going too and I don't want to have to get used to a new person again.

I don't want to eat leftovers tonight.  I'd prefer to exchange money for food but it's too complicated to stop someplace after doing daycare pick up because all the good places require left turns across more than one lane.

I spent an lunch today trying to help my mom decode "casual elegant" as a dinner party dress code.  I tried the route of "that's not a real thing just wear a LBD" but she wanted more than that.  Arggg!

Anniversary

• Options
    I went food shopping at lunch today.  H loves watermelon and they had some really nice looking ones for a good price.  So I bought one.  While driving back to the office, it kept rolling around in the trunk.   I went to go find it and it had rolled out of its shopping bag and was hiding in the corner.  I can't wait to cut into this thing and see if its watermelon or slush.
  • Options
    I went food shopping at lunch today.  H loves watermelon and they had some really nice looking ones for a good price.  So I bought one.  While driving back to the office, it kept rolling around in the trunk.   I went to go find it and it had rolled out of its shopping bag and was hiding in the corner.  I can't wait to cut into this thing and see if its watermelon or slush.

Is "food shopping" a northeast thing? Maggie (BTW, where the hell has she been?) is from the NE and she says "food shopping" or "food store". We say "grocery shopping/store" - is that a Midwest thing?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016

Is "food shopping" a northeast thing? Maggie (BTW, where the hell has she been?) is from the NE and she says "food shopping" or "food store". We say "grocery shopping/store" - is that a Midwest thing?
    I have always lived on the west coast, and I definitely hear more "grocery shopping" than "food shopping" here.

Tangentially related question: How do you all eat corn on the cob - do you go row-by-row lengthwise, or do you eat it around, in a spiral fashion? It came up at work yesterday, and it turns out people were pretty passionate about how corn should be eaten. Personally, I go around in circles, but almost everyone else said they go lengthwise.

ETA: Next time I eat corn on the cob, I want to take bites out of random parts, with no order whatsoever, and see if anyone notices. The though of someone eating corn all willy-nilly makes me uncomfortable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I grew up in South Jersey (where OliveOilsMom is living I presume!) and call it grocery shopping/grocery store. So, personal preference?

• Options

I have always lived on the west coast, and I definitely hear more "grocery shopping" than "food shopping" here.

Tangentially related question: How do you all eat corn on the cob - do you go row-by-row lengthwise, or do you eat it around, in a spiral fashion? It came up at work yesterday, and it turns out people were pretty passionate about how corn should be eaten. Personally, I go around in circles, but almost everyone else said they go lengthwise.

ETA: Next time I eat corn on the cob, I want to take bites out of random parts, with no order whatsoever, and see if anyone notices. The though of someone eating corn all willy-nilly makes me uncomfortable.

I grew up on the West Coast and only use the phrase "grocery shopping/store".  To say "food shopping or going to the food store" sounds weird to my ears.  No judgment!  Just not what I am used to hearing.

I now live in NOLA and I mainly hear "grocery shopping/store".  But some of the old-timers use the term "makin' groceries".  I think it's a term pretty specific to Southeast Louisiana, but I could be wrong.  And sadly, it's a unique phrase that is dying out.

I eat row by row, but will sometimes skip around on the cob as to which group of rows I am eating next.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Fun fact: "grocery store" is a weird word for non-native speakers of English. Numerous encounters (and conversations on this particular topic) have proven that "super market" is far preferred to grocery store.

k thnx bye

• Options
    I'm from PA and I mostly say grocery shopping, but will occasionally say food shopping.  

I eat corn length wise.  I bite one row off normally.  Then I, row by row, pop the kernels out whole with my teeth.  It sounds a lot weirder written out than it is...
  • Options
    From CA, I've always said "grocery shopping" when I hear "food shopping" I think quick run to get junk food for a movie night.

I just remembered that my $40 in Kohl's Cash and $10 off coupon are finally good!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You are all wrong. Where I'm from shopping for food is referred to 'getting my messages'. I have no Idea what the origin of that is, but it always was and always will be.

• Options
    I'm from New England and go grocery shopping. Sometimes I call the grocery store the market. I think that's old timey.

I try to grow my short hair out once a year. I lose patience with the ugly phase after a few months and get it chopped again. Also, I need want a pedicure, but whenever I have time to get one, I opt for a nap instead.

• Options
    I'm from PA and I mostly say grocery shopping, but will occasionally say food shopping.  

I eat corn length wise.  I bite one row off normally.  Then I, row by row, pop the kernels out whole with my teeth.  It sounds a lot weirder written out than it is...
    This is strange indeed.

This is how I eat corn too. I'm guessing this says something deep about the type of people we are. I never skip rows though, you are too loosey goosey for my liking, sassy.
    Apparently, it does: http://articles.latimes.com/1995-09-04/news/ls-42202_1_corn-eating

And then there's Michael Buble's technique:

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You are all wrong. Where I'm from shopping for food is referred to 'getting my messages'. I have no Idea what the origin of that is, but it always was and always will be.
    I had to look this up, I thought you were trying to pull one over on us. But I found some info on it: http://caledonianmercury.com/2012/05/16/useful-scots-word-message/0033471
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had to look this up, I thought you were trying to pull one over on us. But I found some info on it: http://caledonianmercury.com/2012/05/16/useful-scots-word-message/0033471
    Ha, every day is a school day! I can completely see why you would think that was made up, it's a bizarre turn of phrase. 

My random is that I started watching 30 Rock for the first time ever this week and I think I'm obsessed.  How am I so late to this party??

• Options
    From NY but have lived in NC and NH. It was always grocery shopping, except in New Hampshire where it was food shopping or going to the market (or co-op). 

Also, row by row corn. In order. 
  • Options
    FI and I are having corn on the cob for dinner. I may or may not analyze the meaning of how I eat it. Today's been a long day; we had a call this morning that still has me a little rattled. I'm excited for our cookout this weekend!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FI and I are having corn on the cob for dinner. I may or may not analyze the meaning of how I eat it. Today's been a long day; we had a call this morning that still has me a little rattled. I'm excited for our cookout this weekend!
    Pay attention to how your FI eats it as well, but don't tell him... I feel like the next time I eat corn, I am going to second-guess how I do it because I am hyper aware of the different styles.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards