Chit Chat

Waterworks

This morning I saw a teenage a capella group sing the Gary Jules version of Mad World.  It was so beautiful and powerful that I got teary-eyed.  I also have a tough time hearing the Star-Spangled Banner sung live without getting emotional.  And the other day I saw Dancing with the Stars for the first time.  Watching Nyle dance to Disturbed's version [which I hadn't heard before] of Sound of Silence  somehow got me bawling.

What songs move you to tears?

Re: Waterworks

• I cry during the national anthem, and anything sung live that gets a standing ovation. Every time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Faithfully by Journey and Proud to be an American by Lee Greenwood always get me misty.
  • Overture to Phantom of the Opera
    Ave Maria (I sang it at my grandma's funeral)
    Almost all of the songs in The Prince of Egypt
    Last Kiss, either performed by Pearl Jam, or the original
    Second Wind by Billy Joel
    Love Boat Captain by Pearl Jam

...and probably more I'm forgetting.  Music makes me cry a lot.
  • edited May 2016

The anthem, Taps.

Wild Horses by the Stones. I've avoided it since my mom died. Then last summer they played it at 3 out of the 4 concerts I went to. When I was unpacking the house H and I bought, my ipod played it. I finally didn't skip and just sat and cried.

Garth Brooks' The Dance.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong {played at my grampa's funeral}
    Pocketful of Dreams - Hedley {i was running down the street to my parents place the day my dad died and this was playing on my phone.}

Otherwise .... idk. I'm pretty emotional as is, but those are the two biggest.
  • "Rose of My Heart," Johnny Cash.

"Married Life," by Michael Giacchino (from Up)

"Romantic Flight" by John Powell (from How to Train Your Dragon)

And, for whatever reason, when Google did that promo thing for Star Wars when you typed in anything in the search bar and the music and search results scrolled by, yeah, that theme from Star Wars made me cry like none other.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

Pocketful of Dreams - Hedley {i was running down the street to my parents place the day my dad died and this was playing on my phone.}

Aaah that was our first dance song  :)

It was played at my grandpa's funeral too, it's the perfect song for him...it hit me hard because for Christmas the year before he got me this little music box shaped like a cute little bug and it plays that song, and I thought it was so silly at the time because I was 19 not 9...and now it's one of my favorite things and I cried when the antenna broke off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I tear up whenever I hear Sia's Breathe Me because of the Six Feet Under finale episode.
  • God only knows by the Beach Boys.   We played that song for my grandma when she passed.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2016
    "When She Loved Me" from Toy Story 2, of all things.  Oh, Jessie.  :'(

httppixartimescomwp-contentuploads201402wslm04jpg

Also, so random (I posted about this in WW earlier):  at DD's kindergarten graduation last year, they sang this version of Shake It Off (I know, I know) but changed the lyrics to talk about all the ways they had grown and changed since the first day of kindergarten.  I sort of want to cry even now.

"Married Life," by Michael Giacchino (from Up)

I think I posted this a while ago, but the first time I ever watched Up was on a flight to Germany, and five minutes into it, I wanted to sob and was trying to act like everything was cool.  That movie...

• I have found my people. I cry at the drop of a hat over anything. It has gotten ridiculous. Music definitely makes me cry. The National Anthem always. And let's face it, by virtue of my career, I have probably heard it several hundred times and you really shouldn't cry while you are standing in formation. When Lady Gaga sang it at the Super Bowl I was all choked up, but when she turned around and pointed to all the service members when she got to "the home of the brave" I just started sobbing. That was probably the best performance of the anthem I have ever heard. Taps? I ugly cry and try not to which makes me ugly cry even worse. Tears of a Clown by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - it was popular when my mom died and when I hear it I just go back to that time in my head. The list is long but I am glad to see I am not alone...
  • I tear up whenever I hear Sia's Breathe Me because of the Six Feet Under finale episode.
    Now I feel like I need to see it again because I don't remember that.  I loved Six Feet Under -- even have the Ski Iraq tshirt that Billy flips about when he can't find it. 

Also Hallelujah always makes me cry.  Any version really, though I especially like the Rufus Wainwright and Jeff Buckley versions.
  • Can't think of any songs, but I get teary-eyed at the stupidest shit all the time. Like, sappy commercials, and stories about people adopting abandoned dogs.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't really cry at popular music. There were a few songs that made me cry when H and I were listening to songs for his dance with our daughter at her wedding. I said if we cried (he did during several), that wasn't the song! There are a few hymns that make me cry, most notably "I was there to hear your borning cry". They sing it at the Freshman Orientation Service and Baccalaureate Service at the University both my sons attended. I can't get through the first line! I'm a big crier for movies, TV shows and commercials too.

It was played at my grandpa's funeral too, it's the perfect song for him...it hit me hard because for Christmas the year before he got me this little music box shaped like a cute little bug and it plays that song, and I thought it was so silly at the time because I was 19 not 9...and now it's one of my favorite things and I cried when the antenna broke off.
    My grampa too! We had a hard time because it was just before xmas and he always came over for xmas. {it was sudden}

But that's a cute gift though! I would have cried too
  • edited May 2016
    "Hallelujah" always gets me, no matter who sings it. So do Evanescence's "My Immortal" and "Bring Me to Life."

ETA: Just to clarify, I meant Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah."
  • edited May 2016
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    Right now, Frightened Rabbit's "A Lick of Paint" is getting to me. Sometimes Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days are Over" will do it, too. And always Hozier's "Take Me to Church" (that music video, OMFG).

k thnx bye

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    "Baby mine" from Dumbo.  You're all welcome to laugh at me.
  • "Hallelujah" at the end of "Shrek" blew me away. I'd never heard it before. Made it a ringtone for my phone. Love the original by Leonard Cohen as well as other versions.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Under Pressure, Shades of Gray (no, not THAT one!) this was a song by the Monkees from their third album.

Too many show tunes to count.

• bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    eileenrob said:
    No, this one gets me every time, too. I almost added it to my list, but I didn't want to think about why it makes me cry. 

ETA gah, I don't even have to listen to it for it to make me cry. Also, they played Taps at my uncle's funeral service 6 years ago to the day, as FB kindly reminded me. That song didn't start making me cry until that day. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• eileenrob said:
    No laughing here..I don't trust anyone who can make it through that movie without waterworks at some point.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually have an ongoing list of songs that make me cry saved in my Notes... is that weird? 

1. Landslide — Fleetwood Mac
    2. The Girl — City and Colour
    3. Soon or Never — Punch Brothers
    4. Your Long Journey — Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
    5. Bloodstream — Stateless
    6. Sideways — Citizen Cope
    7. Bread & Wine — Josh Garrels
    8. La Vie En Rose 
    — Louis Armstrong (my first dance song...)
  • eileenrob said:
    Oh gawd I didn't even think of this song!! My mum and I sob over this scene every time!
  • "Lost Boys," by Ruth B makes me cry. It makes me think about my developmentally disabled son who played in the woods with his siblings when he was little, but will never be able to live independently. 

Christmas hyms make me cry. I used to  go to midnight mass and come out looking a mess with red, puffy eyes.

• "I'll be Home for Christmas", because after I was 15, my Dad couldn't be.  He died at age 44.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    "I'll be Home for Christmas", because after I was 15, my Dad couldn't be.  He died at age 44.
    My Dad served in the Army for six years (three active duty, three reserve) and had guard duty the Christmas Eve that he was in Vietnam. For some reason, Armed Forces Radio played "I'll Be Home for Christmas," followed by "Christmas Eve in my Hometown." To this day, he refuses to listen to either song.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards