Attire & Accessories Forum

Café coloured brides gown... grooms shirt colour? Help!

I've just purchased a beautiful gown by Essense of Australia in a colour called café. Now begins the task of figuring out what colour shirt my groom should wear. 

I'm worried if he goes with a white shirt my dress may look 'dirty' but I also don't want him to pick a colour he doesn't feel comfortable in!

Any ideas.. advise.. image examples you can share which show bride & groom colour combos? 

My groom is thinking of navy for his suit colour with brown shoes and a waistcoat. 

Thanks!

Re: Café coloured brides gown... grooms shirt colour? Help!

• edited June 2016
    What are your wedding colors/what color would he like to wear?

I don't think the white shirt would make your dress look dirty at all. My dress had a visible ivory layer under white lace, and H wore a white shirt with a mostly white tie. We looked fine (I'd even say great :wink: ) together.

ETA: If you wanted, you could even find a cafe colored tie for him, and then it would look even more intentional.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • If you are having any sort of accent colour, your groom could consider wearing a shirt in that colour. Have you tried Pinterest?
  • I've been doing a bit on pinterest but can't find any photos of my dress colour with a full bridal party (just brides on their own). I like the idea of using the tie to connect his outfit to mine though :) thanks!
  • Not sure if I'm looking at the right cafe but I think I know what you're talking about and I think white would still work.

I'm white and the people helping me at both a local shop and Davids Bridal were black. Both held the opinion that actual white doesn't tend to look as good on white people as ivory or cream- I completely agree.

• A white shirt with a navy suit is going to go well with practically any dress, especially anything neutral. It sounds like a nice look, I wouldn't get too crazy with the shirt. 
  • White works with EVERYTHING!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I wore an ivory colored dress and H wore a white shirt with a navy suit - looked great! My dress didn't look dirty or dingy colored next to his shirt.
  • Ironring said:
    lnixon8 said:
    Not sure if I'm looking at the right cafe but I think I know what you're talking about and I think white would still work.

I'm white and the people helping me at both a local shop and Davids Bridal were black. Both held the opinion that actual white doesn't tend to look as good on white people as ivory or cream- I completely agree.
    WTF? She's asking about a dress coloured compared to a shirt colour.....nothing in her question relates to skin colour....

Anyways, knottie##, I found some photos from Google that might help with having an idea of what this will look like. It's the bridesmaids in these photos are have the coloured dresses but you can see that standing next to the white wedding dress, neither dress/colour looks dirty. Also, the bridesmaids in the second photo look great with the groomsmen in black suits and white shirts. So I think you would be totally fine with a navy suit and white shirt. 

I meant that her dress won't look dirty just because its not bright white.

• Thanks guys, definitely think I'm over thinking it and glad to have some support re such a 'tough decision' lol. Anyone else have moments with wedding planning where you go "seriously.. I'm worried about 'that'?" !  navy and white it is :)
  • I think the cafe-color would look elegant with black but even more so with navy. Either way, you can't go wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards