Destination Weddings Discussions

New York Wedding

Hello all,

My best friend told me last night that her and her partner are thinking about getting hitched in New York City!  (or maybe on the coast of New York State)

From what I understand the residency requirements are quite simple, you just need to get your paperwork at City Hall 24 hours before the wedding.  I'm guessing they would need their birth certificates and passports, but both are single so no issues with needing divorce paperwork notarized etc.

They are both girls so is there anything more they need to know about the legality of gay marriage in the State of New York, i.e. is it exactly the same paperwork as for a heterosexual marriage?  Or anything more complicated?  

Has anyone got any tips of something fun to do for a very small group afterwards, like a special place for dinner and drinks to celebrate afterwards?  Her partner has been to NYC a few times but any ideas for something especially romantic would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!  

Re: New York Wedding

• kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I can't speak to most of this, but there are rules for getting married in NYC vs NYS, so make sure they are informed on what they need to do to get a license, whether they get married in the city or Long Island.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Some of this might be helpful http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/same_sex_couples.shtml   The paperwork is the same whether straight or gay, although there might be some different requirements for people from abroad (not positive).  If they're going to the courthouse in Queens I have lots of nice restaurant recommendations.  I assume they'll be in Manhattan ("the city") though...the South Street Seaport area or Delmonico's always feels special.  If they want the bustling Times Square NYC experience, John's Pizza is delicious.  Rio Grande on 3rd Avenue is a lot of fun and great food.
    And gay marriage is allowed in all of New York State @kylexo (NYC, Long Island, upstate, etc.)

• kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    eileenrob said:
    Some of this might be helpful http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/same_sex_couples.shtml   The paperwork is the same whether straight or gay, although there might be some different requirements for people from abroad (not positive).  If they're going to the courthouse in Queens I have lots of nice restaurant recommendations.  I assume they'll be in Manhattan ("the city") though...the South Street Seaport area or Delmonico's always feels special.  If they want the bustling Times Square NYC experience, John's Pizza is delicious.  Rio Grande on 3rd Avenue is a lot of fun and great food.
    And gay marriage is allowed in all of New York State @kylexo (NYC, Long Island, upstate, etc.)

Yes, aware of that. Thanks. What I meant was requirements for obtaining a marriage license and who can legally officiate and what you have to do to prove they are legally able to officiate if you do something like have a friend or family member get ordained to perform the ceremony. For those things, the rules vary if you are getting married in NYC vs the rest of the state.
  • Thank you so far girls.  There is no added complications of having someone officiate.  It would just be a JOP or perhaps a private celebrant.  
  • For dinner after Del Posto would be very special and has excellent service. 
  • Cool I will google it for her X 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards