Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for flatware and china?

Hi ladies, sorry if this has been asked and answered before!

When registering for china and flatware, how should you include it on the registry? For example, I'm looking at some sets at Crate and Barrel, they're available in individual pieces, single place settings, and sets of 4 place settings. 

Which is better/easier for guests who may want to give those types of gifts?

Re: Registering for flatware and china?

• I would say register for as many individual pieces or place settings as you would like, depending on how much your settings are. If your setting is expensive for one setting and there are no lower priced items I'd recommend registering for individual pieces.  That gives gift-givers the option of selecting one, or more settings based on how much they want to spend. 
  • TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    A lot of this depends on your people, and the price range coverage of your overall registry (lots of low end, lots of mid-range, few expensive). If you have a good spread of prices in general, then your flatware and china format won't matter too much.

Is there any price benefit for registering for a place setting of 4? If so, I'd do maybe one 4-place setting, and then 4 to 6 1-place settings, to increase the likelihood of actually getting my sets completed. 

You could try it one way, and as you get closer to the wedding, if it's not being bought up, switch around the format? So, start with two sets of 4-place settings, and then switch to 8 individual settings later, as needed?

Do not register for 10 individual forks or dinner plates...but if you're looking at plateware, it's probably fine to split up the servingware. Like, the gravy boat, serving plate, serving bowl, etc. each on their own.

k thnx bye

• I think a lot will depend on price point. If a single knife is $100 ... register for individual pieces. I think most registries that have a 'normal' price point will register for place settings. That way you end up with sets instead of 10 individual knives and 4 forks ...
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies, single pieces run around $8-$10 so I think I'll put a mix of singles and sets, I'm trying to make sure there's a good amount of gifts in each price range on the registry! 
  • We registered for 1 or 2 sets of service for 4, and the rest as individual place settings, so people had options.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Depends on price range.

We registered for 3 20 piece (4 person service) sets for our flatware. We registered for some individual knives and a set of steak knives.
  • I agree that a lot depends on the price range - but also think about 10 years from now - pieces get lost/accidentally misplaced/who am I kidding the kid puts it in the trash because they don't know any better and you were in the bathroom at the time so didn't see it happen...  How easy will it be to find replacement pieces.  My "good" everyday silverware set now has replacement forks at $40 - when we purchased the pieces the entire place setting wasn't that expensive!  That said - I'm a big fan of Oneida in general as being easier to come by.

Register for at least a service for 12 or 16 worth of main pieces (Do the sets of 23 or 45 pieces because you do want to take your guests' price-points at heart.  Register for the individual pieces of serveware (Cake knife, cake/pie server, slotted spoons, serving spoons, extra teaspoons, tea spoons, extra forks, extra knives.  That SEEMS like it'd be a lot, but consider if you invite your In-laws and your family over for a meal, and you need an extra few pieces in case of dessert... 

• MesmrEwe said:

I agree that a lot depends on the price range - but also think about 10 years from now - pieces get lost/accidentally misplaced/who am I kidding the kid puts it in the trash because they don't know any better and you were in the bathroom at the time so didn't see it happen...  How easy will it be to find replacement pieces.  My "good" everyday silverware set now has replacement forks at $40 - when we purchased the pieces the entire place setting wasn't that expensive!  That said - I'm a big fan of Oneida in general as being easier to come by.

Register for at least a service for 12 or 16 worth of main pieces (Do the sets of 23 or 45 pieces because you do want to take your guests' price-points at heart.  Register for the individual pieces of serveware (Cake knife, cake/pie server, slotted spoons, serving spoons, extra teaspoons, tea spoons, extra forks, extra knives.  That SEEMS like it'd be a lot, but consider if you invite your In-laws and your family over for a meal, and you need an extra few pieces in case of dessert... 

This made me laugh because I remember my kids took spoons outside to dig in the dirt when I wasn't looking!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards