Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

First Dance Song

Early on in our relationship, my FH and I went to a karaoke party. I sang One and Only from Adele to him and he cried. I've had the thought to record that song for our first dance, but I'm kind of concerned that it might be to AWish. Thoughts?

Re: First Dance Song

• Early on in our relationship, my FH and I went to a karaoke party. I sang One and Only from Adele to him and he cried. I've had the thought to record that song for our first dance, but I'm kind of concerned that it might be to AWish. Thoughts?
    Are you an excellent singer? Like, performed in theatre, church choir/cantor, etc?
    If you're not usually performing in public, don't do this. If you are, I wouldn't side-eye it. If well-done it could be very sweet. 

This is opinion-based though. I can't speak for others. 

• edited June 2016
    Are you an excellent singer? Like, performed in theatre, church choir/cantor, etc?
    If you're not usually performing in public, don't do this. If you are, I wouldn't side-eye it. If well-done it could be very sweet. 

This is opinion-based though. I can't speak for others. 
    Maybe not excellent, but above average. I sang in church and in high school choir. My mom, son, and fiance enjoy hearing me sing but they're probably biased.

It took me over a month to contact the recording studio because my ex-husband used to tell me I was horrible. I still have that niggling doubt in the back of my mind that he was right.
  • I don't know that I would consider it AWish, and I don't think I'd side-eye you for doing this, either. However, I do have a few concerns. I'm going to assume you're a confident singer beyond karaoke, or you wouldn't be considering this. Are you planning to surprise your FI with this recording? Or is it something he's going to be in on? Given the way he responded when you sang it to him the first time, I'm not sure I would spring this on him. Weddings are emotionally charged to begin with, so if it were me, I would make sure he's okay with it first. There's no way to predict how he'll respond in this moment, or how that response might impact you. Just my opinion, but I would hate to be surprised like this. It would make me feel blindsided.

Also my opinion, but your ex sounds like an ass.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I don't know that I would consider it AWish, and I don't think I'd side-eye you for doing this, either. However, I do have a few concerns. I'm going to assume you're a confident singer beyond karaoke, or you wouldn't be considering this. Are you planning to surprise your FI with this recording? Or is it something he's going to be in on? Given the way he responded when you sang it to him the first time, I'm not sure I would spring this on him. Weddings are emotionally charged to begin with, so if it were me, I would make sure he's okay with it first. There's no way to predict how he'll respond in this moment, or how that response might impact you. Just my opinion, but I would hate to be surprised like this. It would make me feel blindsided.

Also my opinion, but your ex sounds like an ass.
    Yes I was planning it as a surprise. He is a very emotional guy to begin with so it will probably make him cry but I don't think he'd be embarrassed by that. 

My ex was an ass. He also liked to tell me how he'd be happier without me. 
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    double post. TK, you are failing me this week. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I think it's sweet. I wouldn't think it was AWish as a guest. If I didn't already know, and no one told me, I probably wouldn't know it was you on the recording. I'm pretty sure I'd know it wasn't Adele, but I'd just assume you liked somebody else's version.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards