Attire & Accessories Forum

I Think I'm Disappointed by my Beautiful Dress

In January I found the worlds most amazing wedding dress online and found a store in my city that actually carried it. I set up an appointment, and along with my mom, my MOH and my FMIL, we all went so I could try it on. I loved everything about it except that it had a very low back and I worried about my back not being as pretty as I wanted it to. I figured that I had 10 months to get my back in shape and that I'd found my dress. I ended up trying on a couple of others so that I could have the whole dress trying on experience and we were all having fun so why not? I ended up trying on a dress that was the complete opposite of the one I'd come in for. The first one was sleek and lacy and fitted and backless and had straps and was so detailed! The second one was strapless with a corset back and a skirt that is big and a huge train, almost ballgown like. Both of these dresses are absolutely amazingly beautiful and I feel so lucky to be able to be at a place in my life where I can make a choice between them. For some reason, the corset back/ballgown dress ended up wowing everyone (including me) to the point where I said yes to that dress instead of the sleek backless one. I couldn't believe it but I was so happy with my choice! Fast forward 6 months, I got a phone call 2 days ago that my dress was in and I could come try it on. My mom and I went in and on the way to my dressing room, there was the original sleek backless dress on display (looking all size 0 like they do on the mannequins). I put on my ballgown dress and, granted, it still needs altered and is too big for me, but I wasn't as thrilled as I was in January. All I can think about it the one I didn't choose. I think my FI's heart would drop to his stomach if he saw me in the sleek one and I worry that he won't like the ballgown one as much as he would have the sleek one. (Not that he'll obviously ever see the sleek one. That's more of a "I'm in my head and can't stop what if-ing" thought). I feel like a terrible person for even allowing myself to be disappointed in a dress as amazing as the one I was wearing...but it's just SO different then the other one and I'm worried I made the wrong choice. That being said...it took 6 months for this one to be made and sent to the store, the wedding is in 4 months. So there's nothing I can do about it anyway! My dress is my dress. I don't even need advice because there's nothing to do and I need to realize that my dress is beautiful and there's a reason I picked it over the other one and move on and be happy! I think I just needed to be a faceless rant for a hot minute so my FI and bridesmaids won't realize how crazy I sound. 

Re: I Think I'm Disappointed by my Beautiful Dress

• I'm sure it will look better once it fits you properly. Try to stop second guessing yourself, you liked it for a reason. Don't dwell on the other dress.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Remember you picked the dress for a reason! I am sure you will feel better about it once it is altered and when you have your hair, make up and jewelry on.
  • I agree with the others - big drink time... 

Here's a thought - what about getting the first dress' silouette for your rehearsal dress?  That way you can wear it multiple times (RD, HM, date night, etc.).. 

• I bought my dress far too early, and three years later, I'm not in love with it as I used to be (A lot of longing from those 3 years in the dress). So my MOH and I are going dress shopping again to see if we can find a new spark in a new gown.

For you, I'd try to get it fitted up. With it being so close to your wedding, you may not be able to get another dress (plus the cost ...). I agree with what someone said about having a sleek little number for you to wear for the wedding night (or even to change into when leaving the reception). 
  • I wish my only concern in life was "omg i think I chose the wrong dress". Seriously, you bought the dress initially because you liked it. Have the dress altered (why was it not ordered to your size?) and see if your opinion changes. If not, I'm sure a glass of wine would help. Secondly, it doesn't matter what your soon to be husband thinks of your dress. He's not the one wearing it. Wear the dress YOU want to wear. 
  • MrsPeacock where did she say that was the only concern in her life? Hyperbole much?
    Right?!  There's nothing wrong with wanting to wear something you love and feel amazing in any day of the week, let alone your wedding day.  

OP, remember,  you did choose that dress once for a reason.  While it may not be the dress you envisioned yourself getting married in, it will be the dress you remember that day in.  Have it altered, and accessorize it so it speaks more to you.  I bet at the end of the day, it's just buyers remorse.
  • What? I can't legitimately wish my only concern was over a dress? I was being serious for literally my own accord. Of course everyone else has other worries, some more so than others. lol :)  
  • What? I can't legitimately wish my only concern was over a dress? I was being serious for literally my own accord. Of course everyone else has other worries, some more so than others. lol :)  
    I don't think it was what you said that other posters found objectionable, but how you said it.
  • Glad you are happy with your dress again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards