DIY Wedding Forum

Program Fans?

Hey all,

I am thinking of making program fans for the ceremony as it's outside and may be a bit warmer than comfortable (fortunately we are keeping it short (10 mins or so!)

I like the sort that are paddle style with a Popsicle stick glued to them but haven't found much in the way of templates online (etsy or google searches) that I love.  I am totally cool with getting colored card stock to print on in just black, so the design can be super simple, do any of you have templates you used or liked that worked?

Thanks!

Re: Program Fans?

• Maybe
    https://www.theknot.com/content/creative-wedding-program-templates

?

By the way, I really appreciate a program fan. Once attended a wedding in summer in a non-air conditioned chapel. The programs were fans, loved it. 

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kylexo said:
    Hey all,

I am thinking of making program fans for the ceremony as it's outside and may be a bit warmer than comfortable (fortunately we are keeping it short (10 mins or so!)

I like the sort that are paddle style with a Popsicle stick glued to them but haven't found much in the way of templates online (etsy or google searches) that I love.  I am totally cool with getting colored card stock to print on in just black, so the design can be super simple, do any of you have templates you used or liked that worked?

Thanks!
    Anything warmer than "comfortable" should offer a Plan B.  There are more than 10 minutes involved in the ceremony.  Guests will arrive earlier than the designated time.  Do they have somewhere cool to wait?  You should also provide plenty of cool water for guests.  Exactly what temperature is your wedding day expected to hit?

If you have no shade at all, I would suggest renting a canopy or providing umbrellas for guests.  You might also want to consider portable electric fans.  Waving a cardboard fan in front of my face in extreme heat will hardly keep me comfortable.
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    MobKaz said:
    kylexo said:
    Hey all,

Thanks!
    Anything warmer than "comfortable" should offer a Plan B.  There are more than 10 minutes involved in the ceremony.  Guests will arrive earlier than the designated time.  Do they have somewhere cool to wait?  You should also provide plenty of cool water for guests.  Exactly what temperature is your wedding day expected to hit?

If you have no shade at all, I would suggest renting a canopy or providing umbrellas for guests.  You might also want to consider portable electric fans.  Waving a cardboard fan in front of my face in extreme heat will hardly keep me comfortable.
    Hi,

Thanks! We have definitely got these bases covered and are looking to further make sure our guests are as comfortable as possible. There are plenty of electric fans and awning covered spaces, and the ceremony isn't until the evening, however I've been to ceremonies where I'd have been more comfortable with a fan to wave for the short period I was sitting (and if I'm going to make programs most likely anyways, why shouldn't they also be fans?) The wedding is still 6 weeks out, so unless I'm consulting the almanac, I don't know what temperature it's going to be, but historically that time of day and year we are likely looking at between 70-75, so I'm preparing for that and having a contingency plan should the weather not be our friend.
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Maybe
    https://www.theknot.com/content/creative-wedding-program-templates

?

By the way, I really appreciate a program fan. Once attended a wedding in summer in a non-air conditioned chapel. The programs were fans, loved it. 
    Oooh, I think the second one may do the trick! I love the heart shaped ones too, but with all of the things I have left to do, I'm not sure I'd have time to cut out 100+ hearts from cardstock (twice that if I make it double sided :neutral:  )

Thanks for the help!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    kylexo said:
    MobKaz said:
    kylexo said:
    Hey all,

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks! We have definitely got these bases covered and are looking to further make sure our guests are as comfortable as possible. There are plenty of electric fans and awning covered spaces, and the ceremony isn't until the evening, however I've been to ceremonies where I'd have been more comfortable with a fan to wave for the short period I was sitting (and if I'm going to make programs most likely anyways, why shouldn't they also be fans?) The wedding is still 6 weeks out, so unless I'm consulting the almanac, I don't know what temperature it's going to be, but historically that time of day and year we are likely looking at between 70-75, so I'm preparing for that and having a contingency plan should the weather not be our friend.
    Thank you for your response and information.  You sound as if you have really considered the comfort of your guests.  Unfortunately, we have many brides that have written about their outdoor ceremonies and do not care about the comfort of their guests. 

Regarding the heart shaped fans, do you have any friends that teach in an elementary building?  Many schools have something called an Ellison die cut machine.  I would be shocked if one of their die cuts was not a large heart.  It would take only minutes to cut out even 100 hearts.  My other suggestion is to contact a local hobby store and see if they offer use (perhaps for a very small fee) of their cricut machine.  Some local libraries even offer such services.
  • You can buy large card hearts already made from craft stores or online, not sure how much they would be though but definitely worth a google if you're on a time limit 
  • The more I read on this thread, the more I think we should do program fans. Time to tinker on the computer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards