Wedding Etiquette Forum

Re: Leaving this here

• Options
    If they were just trying to spend as little as possible by using what they already had and freecycling or bartering as much of the rest as possible, or if friends and family offered to provide them with items that they're not using without being asked (e.g., a relative offers a vintage suit or dress), that would be one thing. But the way this couple went about it is extremely rude. And the "Why Contribute" section smacks of entitlement.
  • Options
    And cash donations are accepted!  How fabulous!
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Did you see that they were engaged for all of four days beforoe creating this nonsense?

ETA: This is a trainwreck I just can't look away from.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    Why wait, it's not like they have to save up any money first.

I so wished I could have crashed this potluck reception monstrosity! 
  • Options
    When I read her wishlist for flowers, venue etc I actually felt physically sick.

"I think birds of paradise, white lilies (or calla lilies), and some big flat-leafed greens would be awesome. I’d like a long bouquet instead of the usual round bundle. And that’s really all we need in terms of flowers; any more is just bonus!"
  • Options
    "By about eleven o’clock (remember, it was a Monday night), most people had headed home and teardown began in earnest. Brian and I found ourselves trying to help but mostly being useless as our heads were still quite empty and we didn’t know the plan. Eventually we gave up and let the many, many volunteers do their work, while we danced with our wedding party some more."
  • Options
    So mean @thisismynickname!  Don't call them Greedy McGreedersons.  She once made a gown out of a tarp because homelessness!  That makes her the very picture of gracious kindness!  If you were homeless, wouldn't you rather have a gown made out of a tarp instead of a much-less-fierce actual tarp to protect yourself and your belongings from the elements?
  • Options
    "even when careful instruction had been given to the maker, had been made in shades of our theme colours that were definitely not what we’d asked for. People in particular had a very hard time grasping the difference between ‘apple’ green, and ‘lime’ green. But no matter!"

Defiantly. Not. Entitled.
  • Options
    So mean @thisismynickname!  Don't call them Greedy McGreedersons.  She once made a gown out of a tarp because homelessness!  That makes her the very picture of gracious kindness!  If you were homeless, wouldn't you rather have a gown made out of a tarp instead of a much-less-fierce actual tarp to protect yourself and your belongings from the elements?
    Hahahah I didn't get too far into their blogs so I totally missed this one. Yup, they're so philanthropic though, based on what I did read. Especially as she works in social services. Such a saint! 

• Options
    I stopped after the first post. my skin is crawling.
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    So spending only what you can afford is now "highly elitist and ridiculous," and asking other people to pay for luxury items is no longer entitled, it's a human right?  Because they specifically say:

City Hall is not, for us, a wedding. City Hall is a piece of paper that says the government acknowledges your relationship and will tax you accordingly. This is a license; it is a registration. It is not a wedding. A wedding is a gathering of family and friends to celebrate the promises made between two people. A civil ceremony is not the same thing, to us. Our familial and spiritual traditions call for a gathering, and we are having one.

So they're not arguing for the right to be married, as so many people have (interracial couples, same sex couples), they're arguing that they deserve a big party, because a legally binding courthouse wedding isn't good enough for them?

I use this sparingly, but right now, I swear to god, I can't even.

I know, right? If these people were in front of me, I'd say, "Bitches, please." 
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    So spending only what you can afford is now "highly elitist and ridiculous," and asking other people to pay for luxury items is no longer entitled, it's a human right?  Because they specifically say:

City Hall is not, for us, a wedding. City Hall is a piece of paper that says the government acknowledges your relationship and will tax you accordingly. This is a license; it is a registration. It is not a wedding. A wedding is a gathering of family and friends to celebrate the promises made between two people. A civil ceremony is not the same thing, to us. Our familial and spiritual traditions call for a gathering, and we are having one.

So they're not arguing for the right to be married, as so many people have (interracial couples, same sex couples), they're arguing that they deserve a big party, because a legally binding courthouse wedding isn't good enough for them?

I use this sparingly, but right now, I swear to god, I can't even.

And this mentality is why we have such a problem with debt in this country. 
  • Options
    kylexo said:
    if you look through the various iterations that her blogs have had, you'll see that they are now divorced...
    That's a shame. Mainly because they deserve each other.
    Did she crowd-source her lawyer fees?

• Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Is it Christmas already? This is gold!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

SITB

Is it pathetic to say that this hurt me and while I didn't I could see myself crying reading this, depending on how PMS-y I am? Like, I see this sentiment pop up constantly, people talking about how it's just a piece of paper and getting married at City Hall isn't a "real" wedding so why shouldn't they keep it a secret and put on a pageant in front of their friends and family later or beg their friends and family for $$ to avoid stooping so low as to have to get married at  City Hall. I am tired of having to explain to people that their justifying their PPD by making sure we all know it's "just a piece of paper" and "not a ~real~ wedding" only makes me feel shitty about my City Hall wedding and how my husband and I are still married and we still had a "real" wedding despite only have ~9 guests and a photographer be there. Obviously they're saying it for a slightly different reason than most people, but still. It's the same over and over again and it is exhausting. 

These people are disgusting and they make me sad at the same time. I don't even feel bad that I'm happy they're divorced now because fuck anyone who has to justify their wedding by talking about how terrible and not real someone else's is. They always throw in that bullshit "for me/us" line but it's the same shit different day, if it's for you then you think that about me. 

Sorry for the rant, I'm just fill of feelings and not full of chocolate :P
    I'm pretty sure this bitch figured out real fast that she too walked away with a taxable piece of paper

My friends and I used to joke that when looking for a partner, you didn't check out their baggage, you checked out their briefcase (marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificates, arrest warrants etc).  This chick may have been all high and mighty about what a "real wedding" is, but she now owns one additional piece of paper you don't.  Remember that when someone else thinks that trappings make a marriage. 
  • Options
    kylexo said:
    if you look through the various iterations that her blogs have had, you'll see that they are now divorced...
    Oh man, it took me a while to follow this trail, but it looks like they lasted about two years. And now she is married again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    kylexo said:
    Oh man, it took me a while to follow this trail, but it looks like they lasted about two years. And now she is married again.
    I wonder what her experiment was for the second wedding
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards