Moms and Maids

Moms and Maid Gift Ideas

Hi-

I was wondering what everyone did for the maids and moms for gifts. I want to get them something that they will enjoy and use but doesn't break the bank.

Thanks

Re: Moms and Maid Gift Ideas

• For our parents, we got them frames with an IOU for a wedding photo to go in them, and our heartfelt thanks for raising us, helping us, etc.  I just had a MOH for my BP, and I got her a replica of the One Ring from LOTR.  It was special because we basically bonded in high school over our interest in LOTR (it was when the movies first came out).  As you can tell my by user name, we still love it...
    Anyway, shop for your BP as you would for their birthdays or any other special event.  Make it personal--could be a favorite book or DVD, a favorite wine/craft beer, gift card to a favorite restaurant or store, a card game you can play together (like Cards Against Humanity, maybe), etc.  H's brother was his best man, and I think he got him beer and a Steam gift card (it's an online site to get computer games--they're his life outside of work, basically).  Think about how much you can spend overall, then divide that equally among each girl and shop accordingly.  Etsy is a great site to look at if you want something more personal and less gift-card.
  • The general consensus is to shop for them like it's their birthday, Christmas, or a time when you would give them a gift not because it is your wedding.

My mom is deceased, but I gave my bridesmaids monogrammed lunch totes in their favorite colors. Some people side-eye that and call it too generic, but they both take their lunch to work every day, and one of them monograms everything, including her grocery bags, so I knew they would like them. They both still use them, over 4 years later. As long as you make it something you know they will like, any gift is acceptable, and you don't have to get everyone the same thing. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I did Birchbox subscriptions for my bridesmaids, along with a few little things that were more personal, but small (favorite candy, a picture of the two of us, a journal with travel quotes for one). Not so personal, but all are difficult to shop for and it got to be overwhelming, so Birchbox made sense. They all LOVED it. 
  • kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I just ordered by bridesmaid gifts this week!

Got them a couple of things:
    -Makeup bags in their favorite colors with their monograms
    -sheet masks and lip balm in the makeup bags
    -Handmade soaps from the local farmers market 
    -really pretty hand calligraphy-ed  lyrics from songs meaningful to our friendships (they are all different) framed
  • I'm also a fan of shopping like it's their birthday.  I think that's there is room in that to do something similar (like Addie's example) or to take totally different directions for very disparate tastes.  DH and I did both with our BP; he was able to find one thing his brothers and and friends would all like; I did more of a mix and match for my sister and friends, combing different things like a handbag and scarf or earrings and a picture frame.  (As an aside, just remember that anything they are expected to use for the wedding - jewelry, nail polish, etc. - isn't a gift for them.)

For our parents, though, we did the same thing: a small, personal gift to each parent and an IOU for a book of photos after the wedding.  I think for our moms we wound up with a necklace for my mom and a pin for DH's.
    Anniversary

• Here's what we're doing: 

For FMIL: A vintage map of New York City and a copy of the original script and lyrics from "Rent"
    For my parents: "How the Irish Saved Civilization" and a tea towel with an Irish blessing
    Both sets of parents will also get photo albums.

MOH collects ducks and is interested in trains and amateur radio, so I found some cool vintage duck prints on Etsy and am ordering a couple books from Amazon.
    #1 BM (local friend of FW) is interested in simple living. We bought her two books on old-time skills from a store that caters to the Amish and Mennonite communities and other folks interested in simple living.
    #2 BM (long-distance friend of FW) is Wiccan. I'm ordering two books about Wicca, a Goddess pocket stone, and a pendulum for her.
    #3 BM (oldest of my three cousins) introduced me to science fiction and Harry Potter. I bought her two books by John Scalzi and a travel mug cozy in Gryffindor colors. She's an architect, so I'm also getting her a book called "What I Learned in Architecture School."
    #4 BM (middle cousin) homeschools her younger daughter and fosters animals. I bought her a homeschool mom t-shirt and a tote bag that says, "Don't judge my dog, and I won't judge your children."
    #5 BM (youngest cousin) loves a sci-fi/fantasy and cats and is also prone to migraines. I'm getting her a heating pad with a cat design, a cat figurine, and some "Cauldron Cakes" tea, and I already ordered a book on Tolkien for her.
    #6 BM (our housemate) is a musician. We're getting her a recorder and some small percussion instruments.

My niece and nephew are both getting books, and so are their parents.
  • edited June 2016
    kylexo said:
    I just ordered by bridesmaid gifts this week!

Got them a couple of things:
    -Makeup bags in their favorite colors with their monograms
    -sheet masks and lip balm in the makeup bags
    -Handmade soaps from the local farmers market 
    -really pretty hand calligraphy-ed  lyrics from songs meaningful to our friendships (they are all different) framed
    I really like @kylexo's idea. Inexpensive but still thoughtful.
  • I did Birchbox subscriptions for my bridesmaids, along with a few little things that were more personal, but small (favorite candy, a picture of the two of us, a journal with travel quotes for one). Not so personal, but all are difficult to shop for and it got to be overwhelming, so Birchbox made sense. They all LOVED it. 
    What a clever idea!!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We gave each of our parents a photo album with wedding photos; I made them on Shutterfly.

I did a combination of books, wine, and jewelry for my MOH and BM. The books and jewelry were entirely different and jewelry was not worn for the wedding. DH gave his best man a fancy pen (he's an engineer). I can't remember what he gave his groomsman, but I believe it involved alcohol...
  • The best gift I ever received for being in a wedding party was a subscription to my favourite magazine. It was the gift that kept giving.
  • I have 2 sets of friends getting married in the next few months.  They have no clue what to give their parents.  I'd love to continue hearing these ideas!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards