Favors

Baseball theme favors

FH and I are big baseball fans. We live for the game and we are planning a semi baseball themed wedding. Meaning, not everything has baseball on it. But things like the cake, and centerpieces do. FH wanted souvenir cups as a favor and I wanted to do rally towels. We went ahead and designed Opening day type cups that our guests can use at the wedding and those came out perfect! I even got them on a black friday special! I am struggling with the cost of rally towels. They are out of our budget by about $200. FH thinks we just need to splurge and get them. I am worried I will have buyers remorse. You take a huge risk with favors. The idea I had with the rally towels is to have the guests wave them during our entrance. But there is always that what if. What if we spend the money on them only to have a few people participate? What if we end up with 100 towels left over at the reception? What a waste that would be. While it is my dream to have the towels and everyone would know it was my idea, (I have collected them from all the playoff games I have been to since I was a kid). Is the extra cost worth the risk? I know that I know my guests better than you all. But I wondered if anyone had any thoughts. I have tried to find ways to make them cheaper, like putting 5 towels per table of 8 (I thought that might not be fair) or just ordering 100 and passing them out at the ceremony (Still not fair if more people wanted them). Any ideas or should I just nix it?  

Re: Baseball theme favors

• And we aren't doing a food favor because we will have appetizers, full meal, cupcakes and a late night nacho bar. No one should be hungry at any time.
  • FromMtoH said:
    And we aren't doing a food favor because we will have appetizers, full meal, cupcakes and a late night nacho bar. No one should be hungry at any time.
    Guests could always take a food favor home and enjoy later. I've never eaten my edible favor AT the wedding or reception. 

I think you will have a lot of leftover towels. I'd happily wave it while you walked in and then leave it on the table or throw it away before I left. I might take it with me so you don't see me throw it away, and then I'd ditch it later. Either way, you've wasted your money on me and people like me. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Those rally towels are so thing they aren't good for much else, which would mean I would be leaving them behind as well. They are out of budget-skip it.
  • Why not do a baseball-themed edible favor? Decorated cookies, Cracker Jack (if you're sure no one has a peanut allergy), peanuts (ditto), or candy with a baseball-themed wrapper?
  • FromMtoH said:
    FH and I are big baseball fans. We live for the game and we are planning a semi baseball themed wedding. Meaning, not everything has baseball on it. But things like the cake, and centerpieces do. FH wanted souvenir cups as a favor and I wanted to do rally towels. We went ahead and designed Opening day type cups that our guests can use at the wedding and those came out perfect! I even got them on a black friday special! I am struggling with the cost of rally towels. They are out of our budget by about $200. FH thinks we just need to splurge and get them. I am worried I will have buyers remorse. You take a huge risk with favors. The idea I had with the rally towels is to have the guests wave them during our entrance. But there is always that what if. What if we spend the money on them only to have a few people participate? What if we end up with 100 towels left over at the reception? What a waste that would be. While it is my dream to have the towels and everyone would know it was my idea, (I have collected them from all the playoff games I have been to since I was a kid). Is the extra cost worth the risk? I know that I know my guests better than you all. But I wondered if anyone had any thoughts. I have tried to find ways to make them cheaper, like putting 5 towels per table of 8 (I thought that might not be fair) or just ordering 100 and passing them out at the ceremony (Still not fair if more people wanted them). Any ideas or should I just nix it?  
    Skip the towels and tell me more about these cups.  They aren't the only cups available at the reception, are they?  

• If you really wanted the towel effect, technically your guests could do the same thing with their linen napkins. I like the idea of an edible baseball related favour but it sounds like you've already spent the money on the cups.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    I wouldn't get the towels, specifically because they are out of budget.

If you aren't prepared to have 100 towels left over (this is also why food is good- not like you wouldn't eat a bunch of left over cookies ;)), aren't prepared for guests not to use them, don't get them.

I'm not a specific sport team person, so I'd probably take it home and use it for cleaning purposes. Looks like they could be a good size as a sweat towel after a run/work out. Maybe leave it in my car as a rag.
  • I'd skip it too. How about a cookie/candy in the shape of your favorite team's mascot? I usually take a food favor home too, not eat it at the reception.
  • OP, I think if you go this route, when the wedding is over, you will look at all of the rally towels left behind, tally up how much money was ultimately wasted, and kick yourself for it.  Hard.
  • I would suggest that you remove the word "favors" from the equation.  Re-frame the question: are you willing to pay $X for the towel-shaking entrance you want?  "Yes" and "no" are both perfectly acceptable answers.  Just assume nobody wants to keep the towel and you won't be disappointed when a bunch get left behind.  Maybe you could donate them to an animal shelter after the wedding?
  • Another vote to skip the towels. Look at it from a guests point of view, what am I suppose to do with a personalized rally towel after the event? Unless it's from a local sports team I'm not going to take it a sporting event. It's personalized so I'm not going to use it around the house so it just got demoted to either the garage or the cleaning supplies to be used as a rag, or possibly even the trash. That's assuming I take it home. If I leave it at the reception, what are you going to do with all the leftover towels?
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

I vote to skip the towels. While I can see your point, it's a pretty big expense. I like the Cracker Jacks idea. Or what about a mix of Big League Chew gum and Cracker Jacks? Or can you make your own baseball cards? For our reception cards I made concert tickets as our tables were named after different bands/singers. I dunno, just a thought.

We had a candy bar at our wedding and it was a HUGE hit. People are still talking about it. So, chalk me up as another vote for edible favors.

• edited July 2016
    fyrchk said:

I vote to skip the towels. While I can see your point, it's a pretty big expense. I like the Cracker Jacks idea. Or what about a mix of Big League Chew gum and Cracker Jacks? Or can you make your own baseball cards? For our reception cards I made concert tickets as our tables were named after different bands/singers. I dunno, just a thought.

We had a candy bar at our wedding and it was a HUGE hit. People are still talking about it. So, chalk me up as another vote for edible favors.

Those are fun ideas, @fyrchk! Cost-effective too.
  • I vote Cracker Jacks. I think the towels are a waste of money. 
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards