Chit Chat

Got a new job (yay)!! Still at a crappy job (boo)!! Feeling guilty???

So I'll try not to make this too wordy but I recently relocated from Seattle to my hometown in rural upstate NY. I took a huge paycut, knowing the cost of living here was about half and I'd still have plenty of money for paying my now much smaller bills.

I've been at my job for 5 weeks now. I knew pretty quickly it wasn't a great fit but figured I'd stick with it until I found something better. Current job is a small web design firm, which had 4 total employees including me at time of hire. I was hired on as the second sales person. There was no training process and 2 weeks into my being here, the other salesgirl quit with no notice. I feel at sea without a rudder. I never learned the correct sales process here, never saw the other girl close a sale in the time we were both here, I am lost.

In the meantime, I've searched for other jobs. I got an offer yesterday from a company I am super excited about, paying me the same base salary I was making in Seattle with a super aggressive commission plan. Full benefits package and stock options. No brainer. It's also an inbound sales role, so I wouldn't have to do ANY cold calling, which is the only thing I do at my current job. I'd also be the first sales person they hired and they are planning to scale very quickly, so it's really an amazing time to join the team.

Now I am feeling really guilty about leaving this job, they are in dire financial straits and I don't want to be part of why a small business closes, but the owner keeps telling me if he doesn't get sales soon he won't be able to keep the lights on. I've asked if he intended to replace the other sales girl and he says he can't afford to, so there's no possibility that I will be able to (kinda) train my replacement. I feel bad that I also won't be able to give 2 weeks notice.

Basically, part of me is "not my monkeys, not my circus-ing" and the other part of me feels bad about ditching them.

Re: Got a new job (yay)!! Still at a crappy job (boo)!! Feeling guilty???

• kylexokylexo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    lyndausvi said:
    Congrats on your new job.       I get the guilt, but you need to do what's good for you.  It sounds like the company was a sinking ship anyway.  
    This is absolutely true. FI keeps telling me that the owner's business failing isn't my responsibility, but it's hard to not feel bad when I like the people that I work with here.
  • You can feel bad, but don't let that impact your decision. It sounds like the business owner needed to be dealing with the sales side of things for a while.
  • Congratulations on the new job! I get the guilt feelings, but you have to do what works for you and FI.
  • kylexokylexo member
    Thanks for the kind words, guys!

i am absolutely not contemplating staying at current job, in fact I've already signed my offer letter from new company. Mostly this is a yay post about new job and a rant post about the guilt I feel about leaving the crap job. I think I'll end up giving notice on Monday or Tuesday. I'm a little worried about how my boss will react. 
  • Why can't you give them two weeks notice? There's nothing wrong with leaving, and it's not your fault they're not hiring more people, (H and I both have that problem with our employers) but I kind of feel that giving two weeks is the right thing to do. 
  • Why can't you give them two weeks notice? There's nothing wrong with leaving, and it's not your fault they're not hiring more people, (H and I both have that problem with our employers) but I kind of feel that giving two weeks is the right thing to do. 
    I'm not OP, but most commissioned sales jobs don't require 2 weeks nor will most employers accept it (at least in my industry).  If new employer works on this rule of thumb, they're going to want you to start immediately. 

Most commission policies stop you from getting paid after a certain point from your termination date so the extra time is futile because you're not going to be hunting or closing new business because you won't be paid on it. 
  • kylexokylexo member
    Why can't you give them two weeks notice? There's nothing wrong with leaving, and it's not your fault they're not hiring more people, (H and I both have that problem with our employers) but I kind of feel that giving two weeks is the right thing to do. 
    @kimmiinthemitten hit the nail on the head. In a sales job (and at a place like this with a pretty long sales cycle) places typically don't keep you on after giving notice unless it's a very short sales cycle. Since I haven't closed a sale here yet, he won't keep me on, and even if he did, how hard would I be working to develop new leads knowing I won't be around to close them (or be paid on them?)

Because of this, typically when you get new jobs in sales they want you to start as close to the beginning of the month as possible (plus next month is the start of Q3) so the 7/5 start date was pretty non negotiable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards