Registry and Gift Forum

Weird wedding gifts

edited June 2016 in Registry and Gift Forum
I posted this in a thread in Wedding Woes but wanted to share it here too:

http://www.popsugar.com/home/15-Totally-Weird-Wedding-Gifts-2010-05-19-070000-8476323?slide=0

Also, weird white elephant gifts:

http://dodoburd.com/white-elephant-gift-ideas

Re: Weird wedding gifts

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    I don't know why but the hiking frame with the invite... That one killed me. I can't help but wonder what the aunt's thought process was for something so random. And the fertility painting  :D too much. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The chainsaw... Just what every young couple needs... I laughed so hard l started to cry. I can just see the wife using it on the kitchen table after one too many family dinners gone awry...

I need more sleep.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• My FMIL is getting us....wait for it....foot surgery for my fiance. 
    Keeping him on his toes?
    Keeping him on his toes?
    If the shoe fits...

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Ensuring he doesn't get cold feet. 

He has severe plantar fasciitis. She really doesn't want us having a wedding so she's giving him $3,000 for the surgery to fix his feet. It's weird, but I'm looking at it as one less thing we need to pay for.
  • Ensuring he doesn't get cold feet. 

He has severe plantar fasciitis. She really doesn't want us having a wedding so she's giving him $3,000 for the surgery to fix his feet. It's weird, but I'm looking at it as one less thing we need to pay for.
    Ouch! Plantar fasciitis is awful. My dad has it. Hope the surgery goes smoothly.
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    My weird wedding gifts to us (so far) are.....

Cosmetic Dentistry for me (I've finished it now and OMG best thing ever!)

Hire of hot tubs for the reception.

Lace handkerchiefs from Vienna for the groom and I 

A lasagna dish

I think these are pretty strange apart from the last one.  
  • My sister got a baby book for a wedding gift, from her in-laws, so that they would have it for their first child. She thought it was nice, I was disgusted by the presumption.
  • ernursej said:
    My sister got a baby book for a wedding gift, from her in-laws, so that they would have it for their first child. She thought it was nice, I was disgusted by the presumption.
    That is a really weird wedding gift, but maybe they didn't presume. Perhaps their son had told them that kids were planned for the future. I still wouldn't ever give a baby book as a wedding present though!
  • ernursej said:
    My sister got a baby book for a wedding gift, from her in-laws, so that they would have it for their first child. She thought it was nice, I was disgusted by the presumption.
    That is a really weird wedding gift, but maybe they didn't presume. Perhaps their son had told them that kids were planned for the future. I still wouldn't ever give a baby book as a wedding present though!

Her in-laws think that the only reason to get married is to have children. I recently got engaged and her in-laws (at a family function) congratulated me and told me they were excited that we would get married soon and start having children. I told them that we weren't having children and they told me that there was no reason to get married then. 

Glad they are not my in-laws!!

• ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Her in-laws think that the only reason to get married is to have children. I recently got engaged and her in-laws (at a family function) congratulated me and told me they were excited that we would get married soon and start having children. I told them that we weren't having children and they told me that there was no reason to get married then. 

How odd! Yeah, I wouldn't want them for my in-laws either.

• MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2016
    ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

Ugh, my family is the same way. The second I got engaged, my mom started talking about grandkids (We want kids but were in no hurry at all and never mention it) like damn let us enjoy our engagement and marriage first lol. It's even grosser that my family is mostly excited about our future kids being mixed race (Latino/Asian), they always bring it up and how beautiful they'll look because they'll be mixed, I hope they don't become some oddity =\ 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think there's some serious expectation from my husband's side of the family that we'll be announcing a pregnancy soon, despite having been married only about a month. Everyone in my husband's family either had a pregnant bride or a child before the wedding so our plan to wait a bit until we're a bit more settled seems weird to everyone (we definitely want kids, and haven't hidden that fact, though). Still, if someone gave us a baby-related wedding gift I'd find that really weird. 

Anyway, we received a remote controlled boat from a toy store as one of our wedding gifts. We don't live near water, and neither of us are boating enthusiasts or anything, so that was a strange one...
  • We definitely got some weird ones, but they either a) were actually really cool and heartfelt and just a little strange or b) gave us a *great* laugh.  On the side of a) we got a "wart" from a building at his college (these are a huge thing there; the unofficial mascot is an anthropomorphic wart and there's actually an entire section on the school's wikipedia page about them).  I won't share the b) one because you *really* have to know the person.
    Anniversary>
  • edited July 2016
    A sounds really cute and endearing, @spatulahands. But now I'm curious about B.
  • A sounds really cute and endearing, @spatulahands. But now I'm curious about B.
    Haha I'll bite.  One high school friend, the type of guy where no matter what happens, you just kinda shrug and go "oh, that's just what he does," got us a baseball bat, chest protector, and kneepads under the guise of "self-defense."
    Anniversary>
  • You know how one man's trash is another man's treasure? So I'm flipping through the article and am surprised that buying goats/farm animals for Heifer International made the list. 
    Aside from the fact that you should not request charity as a present, the charity chosen is not weird. I've considering donating there but have never followed through.  
    Also, the one with the Wii and camping tent- again, not weird if both bride and groom enjoy those items. What's weird is the groom added them without the bride knowing. 
    I'm kind of questioning the author's judgement here. Maybe I'm just not in a snarky mood today? 

• You know how one man's trash is another man's treasure? So I'm flipping through the article and am surprised that buying goats/farm animals for Heifer International made the list. 
    Aside from the fact that you should not request charity as a present, the charity chosen is not weird. I've considering donating there but have never followed through.  
    Also, the one with the Wii and camping tent- again, not weird if both bride and groom enjoy those items. What's weird is the groom added them without the bride knowing. 
    I'm kind of questioning the author's judgement here. Maybe I'm just not in a snarky mood today? 
    I'm a huge fan of Heifer International. I think the weird (tacky) part is the couple asking the guests to donate to charity. As for the Wii and the tent, if the both members of the couple enjoy them, they're fabulous gifts. But they are unconventional gifts to put on a registry and more than some folks would feel comfortable spending on a wedding gift. That's the strange part, not the items themselves. JMHO.
  • I'd really like to do a registry at Home Depot for tools and stuff. The way I see it, even if I never use the tools, I benefit by my FI having them and not having to go buy them. 
  • I'd really like to do a registry at Home Depot for tools and stuff. The way I see it, even if I never use the tools, I benefit by my FI having them and not having to go buy them. 
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that. We were invited to a wedding, and the bride/groom registered for tools - they were renovating their house.
  • edited August 2016
    I'm giving DB and FSIL a weather radio.

ETA: Craaaaap ... this is what I get for not reading last-posted dates. Apologies in advance.
  • my grandmother and her boyfriend have us a velvet bag with 200 sacagawea dollars in it. while i appreciate the gift, that was a whole lot of fun to carry back to the hotel on the shuttle bus
  • kylexo said:
    my grandmother and her boyfriend have us a velvet bag with 200 sacagawea dollars in it. while i appreciate the gift, that was a whole lot of fun to carry back to the hotel on the shuttle bus
    OK, that was my favorite response!  :D
  • kylexo said:
    my grandmother and her boyfriend have us a velvet bag with 200 sacagawea dollars in it. while i appreciate the gift, that was a whole lot of fun to carry back to the hotel on the shuttle bus
    Omg I love this!!
  • ernursej said:
    ernursej said:

When we were going to tell my H's mum and stepdad we were engaged, she said later she was convinced we were telling them I was pregnant!!
    Mind you, later on when I asked why she didn't think we'd get married first she explained that because of the death in my family 6 months prior and my H never seemed like he actually wanted to get married, she was surprised we were going to.
    Fair enough ....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards